Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just trying to look into the effects of the levers moving different amounts. I'm concentrating on the fact that the angle of twist is less and also that the relevant component of the force exerted also changes...
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Right. Painted up my rear subframe, wishbones and ARB, and also got the droplinks and bushes etc sorted. Reached the first stumbling block

Something's missing from the equation:
      Heres one wishbone and the lower droplink bush and sleeve:

You can see the hole the bush is supposed to mount in, here with the bush in

The trouble is there is some king of sleeve missing off the wishbone to fit the bush into:
      The pressed wishbone is only approx 4mm thick with an oval hole:

Mr Casey kindly took some pics of his Febi rear wishbones that came with the bushes already installed. You can see the bush mounts into a sleeve that looks to be pressed into the wishbone:

I also noticed that one of the rear wishbones that I stripped and painted is bent

Don't know how I didn't notice it before - i'll be needing one new wishbone anyway
      Weird thing is Andy said the bushes are pressed into the holes on the front facing side of his wishbones, and AFAIK the arms are also sided.
      Since 20v.org reconed that the US coupe quattros shared their rear wishbones with the front of the 4000Q, i wonder if our wishbones are different.
      If i'm right in thinking, what was called a 4000Q in the US was an 80 quattro over here? So therefore the 80Q front wishbones should match our rears
      I might see if i can find one and compare to my CQ rear one here.

The other option that involves some work is that I strip the wishbones back, enlargen the hole slightly, weld in a sleeve and some spacers either side and then may as well seam weld the wishbones too.. I'd rather a plug and play solution TBH.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Havong been inspecting my good wishbone and doing some (rough) measurements I'm wondering if the wishbones aren't symetrical, and can tehrefore be swapped to the other side :mischeif:

I'll give Pete at QC a call and see if i can go and have a look at some on Saturday
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

....... or i could dig out my old wishbones (if i still have them) that have the bushes in and are probably not bent?

Comment

If they are indeed symetrical that would be ace mate!
            hopefully I won't bend them getting the bloody bushes out
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

They should still be in the mess of parts somewhere. They will need lots of TLC though.

I'll have a gander tomorrow.

Comment

Cool - hope so mate
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Al, there's a possibility of swapping if you really want to go this route, let me know.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Dug out the old wishbones today, and they are completely different Presumably because they are meant for the front and not the back. They are not even close to being symetrical and have the bush for the ARB in the middle instead of at either side.

I definately have seen a wishbone like yours though on the front of one of my cars somewhere, and I reckon it's on a series 2 coupe. That might be your best bet?

Sorry dude!

Comment

• I've got a feeling the ur FARB droplink just has a threaded end and bolts through the hole in the wishbone with 2 washers and 2 rubbers. I'll have a look under the car tomorrow.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

• No worries Al, thanks for having a look

I had a look at the front of a UR round at Sal's earlier, and the wishbones definately won't work, they are offset not symettrical like the CQ rear ones...whether the sleeve on the wishbone can be swapped i don't know

i'm going to pop down the GSF tomorrow and have a look at all the wishbones they've got and see if i can find a match.
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Of course you could just go down the tried and tested route and file this under interesting exercise? I understand if you have to follow it through though, it's exactly what I'd do and why this thread exists in teh first place
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• exactly mate

I've started now, I need to finish

Although had one of my wishbones not been bent I might have called it quits. I am sure this will be a nicely balanced match for the 26mm bar upfront, and a great mod. Even if i have to but new rear wishbnones with the bushes in them its still cheaper than a Whiteline rear bar
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• I got mine from Pete @ QC.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• How much roughly?
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant