X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karlblues2
    Hi Mark
    I have the same White Line bar down under. (they call it a sway bar here) I found the centre setting gave me a good compromise, with the inside hole making it too twitchy if you're not on the track Hope this helps

I never got around to experimenting much with the settings, when I get the car back on the road again I'll give the middle setting a try too.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Mark - Modded

Comment

DO NOT(!!!) use stiffer swaybar rear.......!!!!! The car will understear like hell.trust me,i've tryed it on the most cars. TRY THIS: Mount a big swaybar in front,28-32mm,then adjust with the rear swaybar,20-25mm. audi make the cars genereally understeard,it is for the safety,they said(???). then you may try with stiff springs in front,and shockabsorbers,ca 30 % stiffer in front,but only 15 % rear.you will love driving,i promise. DO NOT(!!!) use stiffer swaybar rear. NOT

Comment

The stiffer sway bar on the rear coupled with springs and adjustable koni's & rs2 front ARB has improved the drive no end. By adding a stiffer rear sway bar this helps to reduce understeer. obviously increasing the stiffness too much will bring on alot of understeer and a bit of a hairy ride.

Greg
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

IMHO this is wrong caterpillar.
          A stiffer rear arb gives less understeering.
          A stiffer front arb gives more understeering.
          I've also the whiteline rear arb and there's less understeering now.
          http://www.audi90.ch

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Buff
            I have to agree with Sir Buff The stiffer rear sway bar has improved my handling heaps. I have left the front untouched at the moment. The car feels very predictable and neutral. Might be down to personal taste
            Oct 93 build MY 94 ABY Kingfisher Blue Audi S2 with MD147 turbo :mischeif:u SOLD
            Audi 90 Quattro 20V 1989 7A
            Audi TTRS 2010 APR stage 2 +
            Triumph 675 Street Triple R

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Buff

100% agree on this. Its in lots of reference books, and the theory has been proven out many times by guys on the forum.
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Got my whiteline rear bar today,

Took a few weeks from demon tweeks as they had a couple mid transit from aus when i ordered it. ...they might still have the other in stock.

I got the same as Mark H "BAR 14Z" all looks the same except for the bar colour, mine is silver.

Sods law my car is off the road at the moment, i'll post up my first impressions when i get it the car going again

Quick Q, i assume the small bar with two holes goes between the mounting bracket and subframe?

Mark.

P.S. Also bought a universal rear strut brace, if it fits i'll post piccys.

Originally posted by S2central.net
                100% agree on this. Its in lots of reference books, and the theory has been proven out many times by guys on the forum.
                91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

I think Greg means too stiff = a lot of oversteer.

IIRC The stiffer rear bar helps promote oversteer by unweighting the inside wheel during a turn and allowing the rear to slide before the front, go too stiff and the car will spin too easily.

Audi designed the quattros to understeer, its safer for normal drivers to let off when the front starts to go.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

I've been doing a lot of studying into this over the past couple of days.

The bigger the bar the more oversteer but go to big and you'll end being too tail happy.

Also found that Audi rear subframes can suffer from stress fractures if you put on a bar that is too stiff. 19mm seems to be the maximum safe size (This is for Avants). I say safe in that above that with very hard driving the subframe can crack.

I looked at bars between 17mm and 21mm and decided to err on the side of caution and go for a neuspeed adjustable 19mm bar for my Avant.

It's designed for the B5 S4/RS4 and comes complete with rose jointed droplinks and reinforcement plates for the subframe. Should arrive in about 3 weeks. I'll post my results when it lands.

Ben
                    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

I just received my RS2 Front ARB - I'll fit that tomorrow
                      A big thanks to Martyn @ VAGPARTS for all his efforts - VAGPARTS

I fitted a Whiteline Rear ARB a while ago and settled on the middle setting - which was already giving nice oversteer. I ended up in the kitty litter at the Phakisa circuit after losing the rear end on the fastest corner (160 km/h) To be fair I went there to wipe out the **** tyres I got the car with. I have yet to try the car on a circuit since fitting Toyo RA1 street legal slicks.

What setting do you guys with adjustable Whiteline rear ARB's use with RS2 Front ARB's. I have a feeling I can move it to its stiffest setting?
                      1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
                      2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
                      2006 Misano Red RS4
                      2004 VW Touareg V8
                      2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
                      2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

Originally posted by GandalfS6
                        What setting do you guys with adjustable Whiteline rear ARB's use with RS2 Front ARB's. I have a feeling I can move it to its stiffest setting?
                        I've had the Whiteline set at the stiffest with the RS2 ARB up front, it does oversteer a little when pushed hard, but nothing dramatic.

Mark.
                        Mark - Modded

Comment

Ok, quick summary for the inept (ie me!): On a Coupe, which has already got H&Rs/Konis, what is the benefit of replacing front and rear ARBS?
                          What's the cost (stock parts vs. aftermarket/RS2 parts?)
                          What ones to go for? It seems like RS2 front is a no-brainer, but for coupe the RS2 rear is not an option so have to use the Whiteline?)
                          Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

yeah on coupe use the whitline on rear on avant the RS2 rear can be used.

the main advantage is the reduced roll on cornering and a more neutral handling with alot less understeer compared to standard and with the whitline on the stiffest setting it is a little easier to get oversteer if you push hard.

Greg
                            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

My neuspeed bar arrived today!!!! I only ordered it yesterday afternoon. So much for three weeks to come from the states.

I can thoroughly recommend the staff at awesome gti. Great service.

I will start a new thread about the neuspeed once I've got some pics and had a go at fitting it.

Sorry to drift off topic.

Ben
                              the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                              1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Anyone know what the powerflex part numbers are for the rs2 arb bushes.
                                How many bushes are required?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X