Clear All

• Bowie69
    replied
    Well, it does for me....

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post

It'll run for a couple of seconds when you turn the key to ignition, then cut out.
    I didn't think our fuel pump primed on the ignition. My old golf gti did. I might be wrong

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by bilko0795 View Post
    Yes it’s the pump I had the ignition on while I was changing bulbs in the rear and it was going until I turned off ignition the wire only took me half hour to sort and I needed the car for work and it was a Sunday But I’d rather do it the way you have. So all I need is a relay with an in line fuse built in?
    Yes, and the connects for the battery, heat shrink, wire and crimp connectors. Use the old feed as the trigger on the relay.

Leave a comment:

• bilko0795
    replied
    Yes it’s the pump I had the ignition on while I was changing bulbs in the rear and it was going until I turned off ignition the wire only took me half hour to sort and I needed the car for work and it was a Sunday But I’d rather do it the way you have. So all I need is a relay with an in line fuse built in?

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post

Your pump shouldn't run on the ignition. :
    It'll run for a couple of seconds when you turn the key to ignition, then cut out.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by bilko0795 View Post
    Dave I have run a new thicker wire straight from the relay in the fuse box to the pump all seems ok apart from when you switch on ignition the pump runs as expected might cause a problem in an accident though have you fitted an in-line fuse also
    That's a lot more work. As the battery is back there, fitting the relay is very easy. Your pump shouldn't run on the ignition. Are you sure it's the pump you can hear? Remember the coolant electric pump runs for a few seconds when you switch the ignition on. Is it that you can hear?
    And yes, fuse fitted in relay module

Leave a comment:

• bilko0795
    replied
    Dave I have run a new thicker wire straight from the relay in the fuse box to the pump all seems ok apart from when you switch on ignition the pump runs as expected might cause a problem in an accident though have you fitted an in-line fuse also

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    If you are visiting Wales I'm happy to do it for you while you polish my car

Leave a comment:

• Fat Audi 80
    replied

Basically, you run a new feed to your pump via a relay directly from the battery. The original wires to the pump have a long run, are quite thin and struggle to carry sufficient voltage, especially when 25 years old.
    It's been covered on the forum a few times and is easy to do

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post

Could you explain further please?
    Basically, you run a new feed to your pump via a relay directly from the battery. The original wires to the pump have a long run, are quite thin and struggle to carry sufficient voltage, especially when 25 years old.
    It's been covered on the forum a few times and is easy to do

Leave a comment:

• Fat Audi 80
    replied

And do the relay at the same time. Easy job and well worth it
    Could you explain further please?

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
    I have a new fuel filter and pump ready to go on my Coupe, I don't think it is fuelling quite right. Hoping for a similar outcome to yours....
    And do the relay at the same time. Easy job and well worth it

Leave a comment:

• John.
    replied
    Just been for a nice long drive. Best its ever been going. Scary fast. Defo beer time. Cheers guys.
    Good result

Leave a comment:

• Fat Audi 80
    replied
    I have a new fuel filter and pump ready to go on my Coupe, I don't think it is fuelling quite right. Hoping for a similar outcome to yours....

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Just been for a nice long drive. Best its ever been going. Scary fast. Defo beer time. Cheers guys.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X