Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    New thermostat arrived. A bit late but I saved about £25 over buying one from Audi.

And fitted

I nearly did the school boy error and put the seal in before the thermostat!

Interesting that the old one was a Febi and marked 80c (worked fine) but this new one which is the OE one is 87c.

Now to get the rad back. After tea break I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    I actually had some of that pipe knocking about (tractor usage) but was frightened to use it as it's only heat rated to 100c. I should be good for a few years now

Leave a comment:

• Ian Simmonds
    replied
    Probably 15 years ago this very pipe failed after arriving at a train care facility and the engineering team there replaced it in about an hour with a high pressure hydraulic hose from the transformer rectifier assembly on a Bombardier Electrostar.

I’ve recently been poking about around the MFTS and PCV on the left side of the block and the pipe, whatever the material is, looks as good as the day it went in.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Ok, so I was not actually able to get the OE pipe so ended up with some 10mm silicone. I ordered the pipe and a full set of Norma stainless pipe clips from Merlin motorsports at about 3pm. They arrived in the post the next morning. Excellent service from them. I am still waiting for the thermostat, ordered the same day from another supplier.
    Both pipes fitted, new clips and new crush washers on the banjo.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by newsh View Post
    No easy way in there! Quicker to do what you’ve done than to struggle with rad and cowlings in the way..
    that's what I thought.

looks like I'm going to have to buy 1.5 meters of the thinner hose from Audi. If anyone is thinking of doing their turbo return hose, short lengths will be available from Dave's garage for a reasonable price soon
    Last edited by Tractor Dave; 21 July 2021, 17:49.

Leave a comment:

• newsh
    replied
    No easy way in there! Quicker to do what you’ve done than to struggle with rad and cowlings in the way..

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Horribly tight down there, you are right to pull it all apart TBH.... just laziness gets in my way of doing so when I do it!

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    This is the little hose. £11 including postage.

I thought fitting would be tight but possible with the pas pump lifted out of the way. Unfortunately, not.

Here we are half way through major open heart surgery.

So I get in there and I am able to check properly. This hose is dry.
    The leak is from the thermostat housing or the small turbo return hose.
    Thermostat has only been in there a couple of years but looks mucky.

So I have ordered a new one and will be getting the other small hose as well.
    I don’t fancy doing this again for a while so I’m just going to replace everything.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    I have had an annoying coolant leak for some time. Nothing major but a few good drips each night. I decided it was probably the short hose to the thermostat. This hose wasn't available when I did my 're build but now it is.

Leave a comment:

• M2ki
    replied
    These are must have, prices are so high, that *******s will steal all the cats they can get.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Not noticed any smoke at all but it did smell a bit more rich when cold.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Simmonds
    replied
    Originally posted by sal_s2 View Post
    It'll sound much nicer.
    But if the turbo seals are weak you'll notice the smoke a lot more
    Interesting comment Sal. (Hi bud, by the way), and your right, the exhaust will certainly make it more sustainable to smoking.

Quite a few years ago (10 probably) we put a 3” single box, downpipe back Milltek on our S2 and it immediately got the ‘Blau’ vapours at hot idle and traffic jam type driving. On and off I’ve wrestled with the issue and we changed the turbo about three years ago to no avail so started using 10w60 oil and got a marked improvement. In late January it was serviced having only done about 1500 miles during the madness of lockdowns. Once the school runs started again in March it got a bit more use, but all town stop start and the vapours were back. Checking the service items it turns out it was 10w40 put in there. So, this week I’ve cleaned out the crankcase ventilation again and changed the boost pressure control valve, drained the sump and gone for 10w60 again. Today, took it for a 20-odd mile run and then left it idling on the driveway for best part of 15 minutes. Nothing, no smoke idling or after short, light blips of the throttle or when the fan cut in.

In their old age, they really are sensitive 5-pot souls to oil, back pressure and crankcase ventilation.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    It's just what I russled up from my bolts box. Not pretty but works

Leave a comment:

• Mikes2
    replied
    Why is one of the bolts different from the rest ?

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    I haven't noticed any change in sound but she sure feels more eager

Leave a comment:

Working...
X