replied
    Originally posted by John. View Post

Proper drive tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• newsh
    replied
    Good news Dave
    She must be nearly finished now?

Btw you can edit the post in Tapatalk, cut and paste the pics in the correct order

Leave a comment:

• John.
    replied
    Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
    I took her for a drive and all play is gone.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Sorry guys. Tapatalk has put the pics in the wrong order. If anyone needs/wants a tutorial I can do on a separate thread.
    Getting the old bearing out was not that easy. We had used some bearing fit to see if we could take up the play. It went with quite a bang.
    The new bearing and hub both went in really easily and the tool has a self centre action.
    Last edited by Tractor Dave; 6 September 2019, 18:23.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    My new flange (hub) came very quickly from Autewo. Ordered Friday last week and came on Wednesday!
    It looks very well made

Fitting was quite easy with the new kit.

I took her for a drive and all play is gone.
    Hurray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tractor Dave; 6 September 2019, 17:52.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    You'll be quite surprised just how much force you will get with that fine ACME thread and a long breaker bar

£80 is truly a bargain... has he got another

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    I think you are both right there.
    It was a no brainer not to buy though. My VAG mechanic friend charged me £50 to do the bearing on the car. He said he hadn't used the tool in over 2 years so I asked if he wanted to sell it? He agreed, at £80. Now I don't have to call him back to 're do the bearing when the new hub arrives. I looked online and that tool is £400 + new

Leave a comment:

• LHD_Kid
    replied
    I was going to say... Almost 17 tons for one of mine when it finally went BANG on the way out...

Leave a comment:

• Error404
    replied
    They work ok on a freshly installed bearing, I wouldn’t fancy your chances on a 10 year old part. Last sticky bearing I changed took 16 tons on the press to shift it.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
    That is gonna be a worthwhile investment. Make sure to post some details on what its like to use.
    No worries. I will post some pics when I fit the new hub which is en route from Germany. I have another brand new SKF bearing ready for it

Leave a comment:

• Greg_S
    replied
    That is gonna be a worthwhile investment. Make sure to post some details on what its like to use.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Yup, cracking kit, there is a video on your tube showing how it is used, saw it maybe a year ago now, think it may have been on a golf , but all the same

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by steve briance View Post
    That is an impressive looking bit of kit. Excuse my ignorance as I've not seen the likes before but, does this mean you can do bearings without a hydraulic press or is it a kit of press bushes? I see threaded rods which makes me think these might be for drawing the bearing in...
    It removes the old bearing and puts the new one in. The big advantage is that you don't need to remove the hub carrier and the alignment isn't touched.

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    That is an impressive looking bit of kit. Excuse my ignorance as I've not seen the likes before but, does this mean you can do bearings without a hydraulic press or is it a kit of press bushes? I see threaded rods which makes me think these might be for drawing the bearing in...

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Ok, wasn’t getting any offers of a hub so I ordered a new reproduction hub from Autewo in Germany. TPS have them but they are over £315 plus vat each!
    The one from Autewo will be £150. Hope it works.

I also acquired a new toy

Now I can do the bearings on the car.
    It’s an impressive bit of kit and has the correct size bushings for the S2 hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X