No announcement yet.

1990 Urquattro Panther Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a really exceptionally nice looking example, I'd also be highly inclined to leave it stock looking, especially if your already more than happy with the performance.

As for the part's you have some of them are worth quite a bit, some not so much, some are worth retaining as spares.

I suspect the cams are a pair of 7A item's, they give a bit more top end, especially with a bigger turbo. They're quite sought after if that's what indeed they are, would need much better pic's to be able to ID them though.

The MAF is an RS2 unit, no real advantage over stock, they're identical internally, just the end screens are different, valuable though if in good working order. I'd certainly keep that as a spare as genuine new replacements don't exist any longer.

The windage tray looks like a good used stock one, there will already be one fitted to your engine, though again I'd also keep this as a spare as it's not worth a huge amount, though if you wanted a new one you'd probably be unable to find one.

The inlet manifold is from an AAN engine, worth a few quid but nothing special, it can be used to shorten the inlet tract, however the existing 3B item flow's the best out of all the stock 20VT inlet manifolds. I'd sell this.

The exhaust manifold again is nothing special, looks like one of the eBay specials that use to cost about £150 new, nothing really wrong with one of these, but fitment requires doing away with the airbox and lots of custom work with oil/water pipelines, exhaust etc. I'd sell that as well.

The H beam conrods are stronger than stock and used when going for anything over RS2+ spec (380 BHP), though it's actually more the associated increase in torque that bends stock ones. Again I'd sell these if you have no plans to increase the performance, what their worth will vary wildly depending on the make of them.

The Turbo looks like some sort of K26/7 hybrid, depending on condition and spec this could be worth a lot of money or not so much. Would need more detailed pic's to be able to give you some idea of what it is.

The downpipe looks like quite a nicely made 3" item, will flow much better than the stock 3B one, though only really worth bothering with if going for anything larger than a stock turbo. Fitting it would however require some more pipe as well as fabrication/welding to mate it up to the Miltek system, could be worth hanging onto see below...

Do you know what turbo and exhaust manifold the car is currently running? I ask because the spec you list is a little odd, RS2 injectors at 3 bar (standard 3B fuel pressure at the rail) flow a bit more than stock 3B items so will not be correctly matched to a generic chip set from MRC for the original K24 turbo, the car will be running a touch rich.

However a/the previous owner may have fitted them to go with an RS2 turbo and exhaust manifold, then the fuel pressure regulator would have been changed for a 7A (4 bar) item as MRC did do generic chip sets for this spec (or at least I think they did). Or he may of asked MRC for a custom map to go with those injectors for some other reason, perhaps the previous owner could help clarify what's going on here?

I have encountered an S2 once sold as a stock 3B but actually running full RS2+ spec.

And of course....
    Last edited by K Simmonds; 13 November 2021, 17:31. Reason: More info and poor English!
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Lovely car indeed sir,

If asked I'd echo the "keep it stock" remarks above, but would ad "or at least very near to, under the circumstances". Here are a couple of I think, modest examples:

A how to on installing the yellow Bilsteins with some Audi and Bilstein factory recommended install, install re-do and some preventative and preservation tips, particularly more important the longer you've already had these installed for:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-strut-install

A how to on installing particular BOGE family top-mounts so that they will last forever (so far!) (full disclosure, I flog the required kit):

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...t-strut-mounts

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
        That's a really exceptionally nice looking example, I'd also be highly inclined to leave it stock looking, especially if your already more than happy with the performance.

As for the part's you have some of them are worth quite a bit, some not so much, some are worth retaining as spares.

I suspect the cams are a pair of 7A item's, they give a bit more top end, especially with a bigger turbo. They're quite sought after if that's what indeed they are, would need much better pic's to be able to ID them though.

The MAF is an RS2 unit, no real advantage over stock, they're identical internally, just the end screens are different, valuable though if in good working order. I'd certainly keep that as a spare as genuine new replacements don't exist any longer.

The windage tray looks like a good used stock one, there will already be one fitted to your engine, though again I'd also keep this as a spare as it's not worth a huge amount, though if you wanted a new one you'd probably be unable to find one.

The inlet manifold is from an AAN engine, worth a few quid but nothing special, it can be used to shorten the inlet tract, however the existing 3B item flow's the best out of all the stock 20VT inlet manifolds. I'd sell this.

The exhaust manifold again is nothing special, looks like one of the eBay specials that use to cost about £150 new, nothing really wrong with one of these, but fitment requires doing away with the airbox and lots of custom work with oil/water pipelines, exhaust etc. I'd sell that as well.

The H beam conrods are stronger than stock and used when going for anything over RS2+ spec (380 BHP), though it's actually more the associated increase in torque that bends stock ones. Again I'd sell these if you have no plans to increase the performance, what their worth will vary wildly depending on the make of them.

The Turbo looks like some sort of K26/7 hybrid, depending on condition and spec this could be worth a lot of money or not so much. Would need more detailed pic's to be able to give you some idea of what it is.

The downpipe looks like quite a nicely made 3" item, will flow much better than the stock 3B one, though only really worth bothering with if going for anything larger than a stock turbo. Fitting it would however require some more pipe as well as fabrication/welding to mate it up to the Miltek system, could be worth hanging onto see below...

Do you know what turbo and exhaust manifold the car is currently running? I ask because the spec you list is a little odd, RS2 injectors at 3 bar (standard 3B fuel pressure at the rail) flow a bit more than stock 3B items so will not be correctly matched to a generic chip set from MRC for the original K24 turbo, the car will be running a touch rich.

However a/the previous owner may have fitted them to go with an RS2 turbo and exhaust manifold, then the fuel pressure regulator would have been changed for a 7A (4 bar) item as MRC did do generic chip sets for this spec (or at least I think they did). Or he may of asked MRC for a custom map to go with those injectors for some other reason, perhaps the previous owner could help clarify what's going on here?

I have encountered an S2 once sold as a stock 3B but actually running full RS2+ spec.

And of course....
        Hello and thanks for a very informative reply. I will do as you say and keep those items.

The exhaust is a Wagner manifold and the cams are “NM”.

I think the cams were purchased through a group buy here many many years ago.

As I understand the car has a custom chip and the previous owner new Minea Cortea from MRC. I don’t think the FPR has been changed to a 4 bar as he didn’t mention that to me and he owned the car for over 20 years. Also. In the spares box I have for the car I can’t find an original FPR however I will go and have a look at the FPR and take a photo of it.

The car has the stock turbo and manifolds and the spare turbo is a hybrid K26/27 like you say which has been refurbished many years ago but hasn’t been used.

I’m told the car is around the 280bhp and 450nm mark. How does that sound ? Is that a power and torque figure that’s expected with this setup?

I do have a boost gauge for the car but it’s not fitted so will plumb that back in to see the boost levels. It boosts to around 21psi then drops after 5500rpm.

I’ll take more pictures of the items in details over the next few days.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Lago Blue,

My cars does have some polyurethane bushes that I want to change to rubber but I don’t think It’s the strut tops. Can I have a price on those please if they’re rubber.

The car has bilstein and H&R at the moment with the shocks mounted with the shafts at the bottom. Was that a standard kit for at the time for the urq? Usually the shafts are at the top.

Also here’s a picture of the engine bay. I replaced the oil line turbo gasket yesterday and decided to wipe as many surfaces down as I could.

Comment

[QUOTE=nastnas;n2111513]

Hello and thanks for a very informative reply. I will do as you say and keep those items.

As I understand the car has a custom chip and the previous owner new Minea Cortea from MRC. I don’t think the FPR has been changed to a 4 bar as he didn’t mention that to me and he owned the car for over 20 years. Also. In the spares box I have for the car I can’t find an original FPR however I will go and have a look at the FPR and take a photo of it.

The car has the stock turbo and manifolds and the spare turbo is a hybrid K26/27 like you say which has been refurbished many years ago but hasn’t been used.

I’m told the car is around the 280bhp and 450nm mark. How does that sound ? Is that a power and torque figure that’s expected with this setup?

I do have a boost gauge for the car but it’s not fitted so will plumb that back in to see the boost levels. It boosts to around 21psi then drops after 5500rpm.

Thanks again.

No problem, I'm a bit housebound at the moment so am more than happy to spend time chatting about cars...

Everything in your post makes perfect sense, though I'm slightly embarrassed by miss identifying your exhaust manifold, as it's a Wager and quite a sought after and expensive item. The same issues apply to it's fitment though.

NM cams are even more desirable than 7A items, their super rare due to only being fitted to a very small number of cars for the Italian and possibly the Portuguese markets in a 2.0 version of the 2.2 7A engine for tax reasons. Apparently they're actually better than 7A cams as well, I have a pair myself tucked away for a future engine build.

If Minea did a custom map that explains the injector choice, he really know his stuff, I expect he wanted to use RS2 injectors to give a little more head room at 3 bar than the stock 3B items would allow for.

Hence 280bhp and 450nm sounds spot on for a custom map from MRC, it'll be as close to optimal as possible and quite a lot for a 3B, certainly a little bit more than their generic chip sets would top out at. 21 psi is nearly 1.5 bar that's as far as the stock K24 will go and it should tail off just as you describe.

That's a really nice car and set up you have there!!!

If the K26/7 turbo is basically new it could be quite valuable, as the guy who had it before you splashed out on some other very expensive items then I suspect it's a pretty decent spec probably capable of something between 390 and 450 BHP, partly depending on whether it's got a #6 or #8 turbine housing. If you post some more detailed pic's I'll at least be able to ID the turbine housing and have some idea of what the K27 cold-side is.

Some more photo's of the car wouldn't go a miss either, it looks stunning! Do you know if the paint is original?

Last edited by K Simmonds; 13 November 2021, 20:50.

Comment

Wow! I think that's the nicest 3B engine bay I've ever seen by quite a long way, it looks stunning, almost like new!

Comment

Originally posted by nastnas View Post

Thanks again.

280 sounds like the standard “Stage 1” tune that Mihnea used to do on the 3Bs. Mihnea did my car many years ago before they started MRC, he would live map the car on the road while you drove it, brilliant fun.
                My memory is that the car felt super lively in that state of tune.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post

Wow! I think that's the nicest 3B engine bay I've ever seen by quite a long way, it looks stunning, almost like new!

Bloody lovely
                  Not to split hairs though mate but it’s an RR, not actually a 3B, there’s a few differences

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, this is very very helpful.

I’ll get some better pics of the car and parts at some stage. It’s been raining here for the last few days so haven’t been able to go for any food drives.

I really need tyres as even though they look new they are 16 years old and have about 4000kms on them. Most of that time the car has been in storage so I guess the tyres have flat spots and probably a bit harder than usual.

Also, the car has 034 too mounts and poly bushes for the wishbones and way bar. I’d like to go back to rubber but probably do the tyres, top mounts and lastly the poly bushes. The previous owner said the poly bushes made the car feel more precise which is great however I would like more dampening of road vibrations to the cabin.

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                      Not to split hairs though mate but it’s an RR, not actually a 3B, there’s a few differences
                      You are indeed correct, I'd forgotten that the 20VT UR was the RR engine code to be honest, thanks for reminding me.

Comment

Correct this is the RR and I understand they are similar to the 3B. What are the differences?

Comment

Amazing looking car, I'd be jealous if I also didn't have a UR - however yours is in WAY better condition than mine. I think I might have messaged you recently on FB about those bits... heh

Comment

Hey mate, thanks for that. It’s in good condition but as it an old car that’s had a few trackdays there’s a few rattles. Haha. I’m looking forward to getting it mint!

Comment

I’ve been chasing my tail with this oil leak and in the end some simple copper washers sorted the problem.

I’m happy to report I have no more oil leaks. ?

Comment

Well it’s been 4 consecutive days of driving. The washers have worked well but they’re a bit sweaty so will try an aluminium washer next.

Comment

Working...
                                X