My 1993 ABY S2 Coupe - Bought & Owned since 1994

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1993 ABY S2 Coupe - Bought & Owned since 1994

This is my Gallery of my current pride & joy..... Thoo looking at the first pics you may find it hard to believe....

I laid the car up 6 years ago (73K Full Vag History) when I bought my RS6 Advant - At the time it had an oil leak and I had bought the S2 always with a view to keeping it looooooooong term as when I bought it lots of people suggest that it would become a classic...

Much like the Ur is today (Still Fancy One).... But dont get me started on that one...

Anyway the RS6 has now gone it was getting stupidly expensive to keep it on the road... Last time it went to Audi Doncaster just for an alternator... they found a bust oil pipe from the intercooler and they managed to rack up a bill for 4.5K... To which I told 'em to keep the car and make me an offer - as I was not paying it!!!!!

Fair doo's to Audi UK they stumped up 3.5K for the repairs after I threatend legal action etc etc... but in these hard times I just don't & cant stump up that sort of money every time somit goes wrong.... (DRC Suspension - Gearbox problems etc)..

So the time was right to drag the old girl out of the garage... also after finding a mechanic who knows what he is doing with older Audi's & VW's etc....

So after 6 years in the garage this is how she looked....

Had to TOW the old girl out..... But after a quick hose down she looked 100% better...

Topped up the oil (always used good Synsytic stuff) charged up the battery (new when laid up) tested all the electrics all seemed fine - well at least the stereo worked... Most important!!!!

Got the Alarm to disarm its self (fortunatly the siren stopped working a few years ago!!)...

Them plucked up the courage to spin her over & "guess what" she sparked in to life 1st time "I Don't Belive It".... Sprank to mind....

Then took her up the road very gingerly and she re-sparked that Magic Audi feeling....

I know 5 pot - 230BHP vs a V8 - 450BHP seems daft but the old girl Has Real STYLE not like the coffin shifter - might have been the worlds fastest but still..... Every A6 "Nearly" looks the same!!

So the S2 has been in the workshop and guess what I only failed its MOT on rear brake pipes.... Amazing after 6 years...

Whilst putting her back in tip top condition we have changed (we means I pay Matt My mechanic does the work ) all the fluids, belts (GSF), oil cooler (Pete@Quattro Corner OEM Part), aux rad (Forum Member) and a few bolts etc....

I had been toying with the brakes upgrade when reading this forum and decided that we might aswell as I know HOW BAD THE Girlings were at fading..... Scared me a few times!!!

So if we are doing the brakes better put bigger discs 3** A8 Zimmerman's & Mintex Pads (GSF) with Boxster S Big Reds (found on fleabay USA - Shipping was HERENDOUS £120.00). Ordered & picked up new spring kit's and anti rattle shims - Dampers (£90.00 WTF) From Sheffield Porsche (JCT 600)

Ummm I had better get some bigger rims.... Dropped on a set of 5 x 18" Orginal Avus's on Fleabay....

Ordered a set of Mounting Brackets from Kev (Bainbridge+) Forum member... (http://www.kdr-engineering.co.uk)

Then ordered a set of 15mm Spacers also from Fleabay (esp.engineering)....

Went to my local tyre supplier - who loves me dont know why??? Guess it has to do with buying lots of RS6 Tyres!!!!! and he Slipped on a 235-45-zr18 rubber Just so I could try it and make sure they cleared the arches suspension etc...
    (Auto Dynamics, 774 Attercliffe Road, Sheffield; Telephone: 0114 2431019) Nice guys and stock loads of rims & treads & they know what they are doing.... No dropping alloys wrong way up!!!!

Got all this stuff together today to go and see Matt (www.Autohausdolby.co.uk - Autohausdolby@hotmail.co.uk) to try and fit at least one caliper.... No go Today anyway the dam bolts for uprights are a different pitch to the standard metric thread... So I am told.... Tried to get some but no luck (GSF Sheffield were downright USLESS and told me we don't do S2 Parts - Is That Right mate well how come you sent some parts to my Mechanic yesterday along with A8 disks.... T**ser!!)

So we just had to do a dry fit of one wheel..... How KOOL does she look now!!!

Hope to have more pics when we fit the Calipers...

Then shes off to the body shop for a few touch up items, and a full valet and then she should be as good as new with a few minor mods....

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

hi

She looks great.........they do sound nice dont they,the 5-pots......
    good number plate too

Lookin forward to updates

cheers
    john

Comment

Looks spot on. You really need some white/clear front indicators though
      Gav
      S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Originally posted by gavs20v View Post
        Looks spot on. You really need some white/clear front indicators though
        Gav
        I have thought about fitting 'em but then it makes the car non original!!

Still thinking about 'em thoo!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by john881000 View Post
          hi

She looks great.........they do sound nice dont they,the 5-pots......
          good number plate too

Lookin forward to updates

cheers
          john
          Yeah they do..... I have to say the S2 sounds much nicer than the Focus ST3 I had which is also a 5 Potter!!!!

I tried to get L 52 Aud (for Le S2 Audi?).... but DVLA said it was not on general release at the time (1995) dunno if it has been issued now thoo?

sigpic

Comment

Another s2 back on the road
            Paying for the s2 will be a joy compaired to the RS6
            Hats off for storing and not selling the old girl for that long.

Cheers

Comment

Nice to see it back on the road
              Im surprised you didnt put a dust sheet over it for all those years.

As for the indicators not being original... nor are the wheels or brakes so get some on there! :lmao:
              Have you got some braided lines for the calipers?

Comment

i love these brakes and these wheels
                RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Looks good Ken, Im amazed it started after 6 years with that old fuel in there! Good going, might also be worth changing the oil, filters, spark plugs etc.

Keep us updated
                  91 S2 coupé - RIP
                  98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Originally posted by Le S2 Audi View Post
                    Them plucked up the courage to spin her over & "guess what" she sparked in to life 1st time "I Don't Belive It".... Sprank to mind....
                    Quality

Good to see her back on the road and she should be
                    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by sjw185 View Post
                      Another s2 back on the road
                      Paying for the s2 will be a joy compaired to the RS6
                      Hats off for storing and not selling the old girl for that long.

Cheers
                      Too right about the expense.... Its cost me less to put the old girl back on the road than a full service on the RS6....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dest View Post
                        Nice to see it back on the road
                        Im surprised you didnt put a dust sheet over it for all those years.

As for the indicators not being original... nor are the wheels or brakes so get some on there! :lmao:
                        Have you got some braided lines for the calipers?
                        Should have put a sheet on it really, but I never thought it would be laid up for that long...

Wheels & brakes are a must do upgrade and its how the car should have been delivered in the first place

GSF (who according to the Sheffield office dont sell parts for S2's) supplied them!!

Who does the clear indicators & side flashers?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
                          Looks good Ken, Im amazed it started after 6 years with that old fuel in there! Good going, might also be worth changing the oil, filters, spark plugs etc.

Keep us updated
                          So was I!!! Thought the fuel might have gone off... I have read some where that it only lasts for 6 months.... Must guess it goes to show how reliable these cars are!!

All the items you mention have been replaced!!

sigpic

Comment

I had the same brakes and wheels on my old S2, so know how good they are/look!

You can get clear indicators on ebay easily, they are not that much new from Audi either IIRC.
                            Clear side repeaters on ebay too, but personally I think the clear rectangle ones look crap (had some myself in the past!)
                            I prefer Autotint universal oval smoked ones, as they match the shape and size (near enough) to the Audi badge just below them.

Like these:

You can get them for about 15-20 quid a pair from Halfords

Comment

A heart warming story that a newer car isn't always better, glad to see the old girl back on the road, Coupes look sexy with S8's best mod I did on my old Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X