Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No better way to cure your S2!! One of my favourite S2s on the forum

Comment

• Funny old world. The old girl had a full service, cam cover gasket and new plugs in early February and its hardly moved since. Yesterday, on a short run back from picking the nipper up from school I opened it up and got a WOT and high boost misfire. This morning I did some investigation and found it was fine cold but got progressively worse the hotter it got. I’d had this fault before me-thinks. Swapped the new (error404) coil packs over from the rally car and bingo, sorted. So, the 2012 Beru ZSE032’s lasted 9 years.
      85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
      93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
        So, the 2012 Beru ZSE032’s lasted 9 years.
        That's good to know, do you have a mileage tally as well ?

Comment

• Originally posted by John. View Post

That's good to know, do you have a mileage tally as well ?
          Roughly 25,000 miles. The short stop start usage probably hasn’t helped their cause as they don’t get a proper heat cycle and the last 12 months they’ve only done 1700 miles and weeks without a heat cycle. I suspect the age is probably about right, the mileage less so.
          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• I'm sure they aren't all toast? Probably one or two? On newer VAG cars vagcom tells you which one is faulty when you scan. Not sure how you would bench test individually. Have you tried resistance between the pins compared to a new one?
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Been tinkering with the S2 today. First job was to check out the Crankcase Ventilation System as I suspected it wasn’t copacetic. Turns out this little fella has a hernia....

Gave it all a good bath whilst it was apart.

034129101A

Then I had a look at the front indicators. The front left has been a bit ‘salty’ all winter, choosing the wettest of days to periodically give up - requiring firm but gentle ‘encouragement’. I’ve tinkered a couple of times but it persisted. Today, I was having a retro moment so decided to put the original orange indicators back on with the correct white bulbs. It was only then I discovered the white bulbs have the bayonet lugs at 180/180degrees and the orange bulbs have them at 200/160degrees. The bulb holders being the original were set up for 180 degree bayonet. I didn’t see that one coming. So, all back together nice and OE. It seems much happier.

And back to original.

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Very nice too.

Comment

Very nice too.
                  It’s really weird John, they even seem to have better shut lines than the clear lenses. Theoretically they should be like for like replacement as both Audi parts but the OE orange ones just align better.
                  93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

It’s really weird John,
                    Who knows !!??......anyway it looks good.

Comment

• Well, my ‘thing’ arrived from Autodoc, Germany.

It’s described on the invoice as a boost pressure control valve 034 129 101A VAG But I didn’t think it had much to do with boost? Anyway, replaced the old one in the Crankcase Ventilation System and all seems well.

it is not mint but it’s a lovely old bird.

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• It is indeed a "a lovely old bird"! Congrats!

It seems to be a little low on coolant?

Comment

• Originally posted by psiconauta911 View Post
                          It is indeed a "a lovely old bird"! Congrats!

Hmmm, you’re right. Thank you. It had a new radiator bottom hose back in February, but it’s only been the last week or so it has done any kind of distance enough to put it through full heat cycles. I’ll check it for any tell-tale marks and top it up.
                          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by psiconauta911 View Post
                            It is indeed a "a lovely old bird"! Congrats!

Hmmm, you’re right. Thank you. It had a new radiator bottom hose back in February, but it’s only been the last week or so it has done any kind of distance enough to put it through full heat cycles. I’ll check it for any tell-tale marks and top it up.
                            After topping up it dropped again, so, some hunting later, I found the after run electric water pump was weeping. Ordered a new one …

Which arrived yesterday, fitted it this morning.

The old one came out like this….

Complete with one of the pipes bevelled end broken off! (Top in photo).
                            That was a disaster waiting to happen.

So, once again, thank you.
                            93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Ordered a new one …
                              Heard of folks using a Mercedes part, some using washing machine compatible Bosch ones too............which type did you get?

Comment

Heard of folks using a Mercedes part, some using washing machine compatible Bosch ones too............which type did you get?
                                Hi John,
                                I ordered a Ridex one from Autodoc. It was £48 delivered.

After fitting the pump, the household didn’t appear to be doing anything, so I made the executive decision to keep tinkering.

I fixed the hydraulic fluid auto check sensor which was misbehaving, then tightened up a couple of bits in the PCV system I’d been sloppy with. Then, with still no signs of life, I broke out the dual action polisher.

Several hours later it turns out I’m in the dog house for spending all day at it…

What can I say?
                                93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X