Giving the S2 some love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post

Several hours later it turns out I’m in the dog house for spending all day at it…

What can I say?
    Why worry, sounds like you had a great say to yourself !?

Comment

Hi John,
      I ordered a Ridex one from Autodoc. It was £48 delivered.

After fitting the pump, the household didn’t appear to be doing anything, so I made the executive decision to keep tinkering.

I fixed the hydraulic fluid auto check sensor which was misbehaving, then tightened up a couple of bits in the PCV system I’d been sloppy with. Then, with still no signs of life, I broke out the dual action polisher.

Several hours later it turns out I’m in the dog house for spending all day at it…

What can I say?
      Yeah, but it is looking lovely!
      The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

• Always been a fan your Avant absolutely gorgeous

Comment

Hi John,
          I ordered a Ridex one from Autodoc. It was £48 delivered.

After fitting the pump, the household didn’t appear to be doing anything, so I made the executive decision to keep tinkering.

I fixed the hydraulic fluid auto check sensor which was misbehaving, then tightened up a couple of bits in the PCV system I’d been sloppy with. Then, with still no signs of life, I broke out the dual action polisher.

What can I say?
          Nice ride, man! Well done

Comment

• Weellll, I’m getting through a couple of weeks off work. Knowing the S2 and knowing life in general these days I decided to tackle the S2 discs and pads and general clean up early. So, Tuesday I stripped down the drivers side and generally scrubbed, deep cleaned/refreshed everything. The reason I’d decided to do brakes wasn’t because they were necessarily worn out, but the fact that the driver side was getting some unpleasant ridges in the disc. Something wasn’t right.

Up went the S2. (Who else hates jacking up cars? I’ve got two 2-ton and one 3-ton jack and four beefy axle stands and it still feels so perilous just to get it high enough to fit an axle stand under at minimum setting).

Anyway, released the drivers side calliper, both pistons and seals are fine, after good bathe in brake clean and general scrub up…. All good.

Then I found the problem…

The carrier had one very happy piston and one seized. Removed the carrier after a liberal dose of brute force and tried freeing up the frozen offending item.

Predictably, it sheared after 20-minutes of abuse. The rubber seal had long since failed and the whole assembly looked like something from the engineroom of the Titanc - today.

The problem now was moving the car about, so I’ve had to reassemble everything as if finished even though I know the carrier is ‘fubarred’.

This is the front drivers brakes back in place with the knackered carrier just so I can move it about the property.

As luck would have it, I was due to see Dave (as in Tractor Dave) today for a parts swap as he was in my neck of the woods. Bless him, he had a couple of spare carriers as well, so I collected them today.

So, after a rather therapeutic three hour return trip with the S3 through Sussex and Surrey A and B roads I had a pair of functional carriers.

Once home these were wire brushed, degreased and rust treated ready for some high temperature paint, new seals, lub and fettling.

Pictured post rust treatment.

They’re going to be lovely.

Tomorrow and possibly Saturday, weather permitting they’ll be painted and (hopefully) I’ll strip down and methodically clean everything on the passenger and then the knackered driver side front brakes.

It’s nice to have the time and timely support from Dave to ‘potter’ through the job rather than the usual ‘must be working by tomorrow’…

At least if I strip another carrier bolt I’ve got a spare now.
            85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
            93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Well, bit the bullet and jacked it up both sides onto axle stands this morning. This helped get at the near side carrier bolts by turning the steering. Fortunately that carrier came off without issue but was still not moving as freely as it should.

So took some time with Dave’s carriers which are working freely.

All back together and working as it should…

This was the offending blighter. One sheared carrier calliper bolt. The pesky blighter.

It was causing uneven disc wear

and even slight brake rub when turning left.

Probably the slowest Disc and Pad change in living history of the automobile, but it was nice to fettle everything with no time pressure.

All symptoms gone, and back to ‘good’ now.:
              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Nice result. We can do the Porsche upgrade next year
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                  Nice result. We can do the Porsche upgrade next year
                  Lol…. Let me get my money’s worth out of these EBC’s….
                  93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• A couple of winters ago I tore the driver side door seal one frozen morning. Afterwards, if I parked the car at a certain angle, in a certain spot and with the appropriate West Sussex storm force southwesterly, it’d leak. So, I inserted some additional wadding (screen wash tubing) to bolster it up and then glued it/ Vaselined it (ooo-err-Mrs) up. This worked but it wasn’t pretty. So, Tractor Dave recently managed to rustle up an excellent condition replacement which I collected the other week.

Every time I take any trim off this car I’m absolutely gobsmacked as to its excellent condition. Audi really knew how to build proper automotive tanks back in the mid-1990’s.

When you bear in mind this (photo below) is under the seal that hasn’t been exposed to daylight since new, so 28-odd years and has never to my knowledge been garaged. That ain’t bad.

New seal on and good for another 28-years.

Thanks Dave.

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• You are very welcome. Happy to help
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Well, the time has come for a significant revamp. The old girl failed on front subframe mounts as they’re nearly 30 years old… Problem is, so is everything else below the shock towers. So it’s time to drop the lot and KW3 the old girl.

Our regular buddy at JMR in Littlehampton also happens to be a KW approved master tech.

Once up on the ramp apart from the worn ‘thirty odd years’ bushes everywhere and a couple of dubious fluid leaks the underneath is fantastic, the subframes are in good condition given their age. So it’ll be an interesting couple of months whilst the parts come in and the ‘also just’ jobs like clutch and brake lines come to the fore…

Can’t wait for a “better than new” old S2 back from a chassis point of view.
                        93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• KW? Not too hard? Look forward to seeing pics of everything
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                            KW? Not too hard? Look forward to seeing pics of everything
                            Thanks Dave. Yes, it’ll be interesting to see. John has already spoken with KW tech in Germany over the brief and is confident that we can get a compliant set-up. We’ve got a couple of advantages in that everything rubber below the shock towers is changing, so it’ll all be new together and I’m considering reverting to the 16” OE rims. I’ve been in or driven a couple of KW3 Audis that JMR has set up and they’ve been really good. Better than our standard S3, which takes the local level crossing like a rockslide. I still can’t get over the underside condition of the car given that it’s all 30-years old, they’re tough old birds and hopefully this’ll set the old girl up for a good few more years to come.

Incidentally, we’re also going to sort out the leaks, which are either rear main seal and/or power steering rack and rear diff seal. Oh, and new clutch.
                            Last edited by Ian Simmonds; 27 January 2022, 10:26.
                            93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Nice one. I think the underside condition is mainly due to your mild climate down there by the coast and less road salt. Watching the KW experiment with interest
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Amazingly, John has managed to get all the bushes from his various sources all over the world. Most are polyurethane, the KW kit is about to be shipped too, so probably not long now before the tear down starts. He’s even got a full set of OE CV joint boots.

The potential ‘flies’ in the ointment are non-availability of a clutch kit and refurbishment or replacement of the leaking power steering rack. Apparently, there’s a couple of internal parts that are NLA from ZF making refurbishment nigh on impossible.

Any suggestions welcome.

We’ll see how this pans out…
                                93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X