Resurrection of my CQ20V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly forgot, is this going to cause issues:

It's supposed to sit on that rusty brown lip that you can see around the plastic ball:

Not sure what use it is, but it is pretty mullered now!

Comment

• No feedback on that gearbox clippy thing?

Anyways..... got round to swapping the cylinder head water outlet this morning, can you tell why it the old one wasn;t sealing anymore?

2014-03-29 15.00.29.jpg

So that's the tiny coolant weep sorted out, it was TINY, I haven't had to top it up in a thousand miles, but it was annoying me

Comment

• That circlip just retains the ball joint. P/n is 893711511A

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Is it important?

I haven't managed to pull the gear stick out yet

Comment

• Mine was ******ed for quite a while too. theres enough play in the rest of the linkage not to notice any extra slop anyway, haha. Think I just filled the void with some RTV or something.
            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• Pretty sure that the Golf Mk1 ball joint is a reasonably direct swap ( with a bit of fiddling about/trimming of the rear plastic in the centre console housing ) see this:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_...D_34069976.htm

Doubt that the FPR is faulty...you'll be lucky to get a new one if so, switch on ignition and listen for the pump to pressurize, count to 5 or so before cranking , I reckon its your pump ( and mine ! ). Not v.expensive though the pump

Comment

• I've got a good 7A pump you can have for the cost of postage if it helps
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• You're on ! ...how much you need to post Alex ?

Comment

• Fiver or so I recon. PM me
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Well this afternoon saw me pop the old fuse box out, and pop a replacement one from a later cabriolet with much less corrosion issues than mine.

3 further issues found:
                      • Earth points appear a little crusty
                      • Fuel pump relay is REALLY rusty, but still just about operational, could barely get it out of the board -took about 10 minutes.
                      • I really am glad I took lots of photos cos I put one wire in the wrong place to begin with!

FPR on order, earth points behind dash will get done when I do heater matrix and heater box refresh in the summer at some point.

Cos of the silliness it took about 2 hours, oh well

Other than that, I've not had any further issues, been reliable as I could have hoped for

Comment

• One other thing, I found the engine will run with the 'moteur' fuses pulled out! Badly, but it will run.

Comment

• Refreshed the foglamps on saturday with a can of silver paint, the Aga's bottom oven, lots of scraping and some Sikalfex 221 in white:

The the out-of-the-factory LH then decided to blow(!)

Three steps forward, one back
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Bowie69; 7 May 2014, 23:29.

Comment

• Saturday saw me remove the dashboard for a bit of fun

Heater matrix wasn't leaking apparently, so no idea why there was a small patch of what appeared to be dried coolant on the transmission tunnel, but a new Valeo unit has gone in, and at the same time I re-covered all the heater box flaps, cleaned it out and lubed up the various places -never did find what had gone 'ping' at some point in the past, but am now suspicious it was piece of rubbish, as it all seems good now Foam I used was 3mm neoprene rubber, and then taped the edge down with some cotton loom tape, made for a very nice finish indeed Fan is noticeably quieter now, which is a good thing, and no more black bits coming out the screen vent (yes it started to happen.....)

Re-wrapped a few bits of loom that had lost it's cotton wrap, so that's much neater, and less old stuff to keep failing out from behind the dash onto my freshly vacuumed carpets

For the record, getting the dash out is NOT a hard or even time consuming job, with a couple of hiccups I had the whole thing plus the heater box out in 1hr 20 mins. I managed to rebuild the box flaps, tidy stuff up and get the whole thing up together in time for tea, with a good break for lunch and the disassembly included it took me 7.5 hours, so very easily done in a day. Oh, and that includes slowly and carefully removing the immobiliser/alarm unit from under the dash that hasn't worked for years, this probably took me a good hour as I had to make sure it would start as I snipped each wire. Pretty pathetic immobiliser, only cut power to the starter(!)

Old matrix is definitely the original, and full of rust, when flushing it it was just liquid brown.... horrid, so very glad it is done

Otherwise, nothing else has gone wrong except the oil pressure warning when over 3K rpm has returned, and some wheel weights have dropped off the drivers side front... so I have a wheel wobble again
                            Last edited by Bowie69; 7 May 2014, 23:42.

Comment

• Your a brave man but all credit to you for taking out the dash. Did you reuse the old matrix? As you said it wasn't leaking. The car is coming along nicely now.
                              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                              96 URS6 plus speck estate
                              94 2.6 80 Avant
                              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                                Heater matrix wasn't leaking apparently, so no idea why there was a small patch of what appeared to be dried coolant on the transmission tunnel, but a new Valeo unit has gone in
                                I'd say it has been changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X