• Thanks. Something good to know for when mine need replacing
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• So, some progress.....

Little adapter piece for the steering rack arrived, with HUGE thanks to Mikes2 :

LSqnt.jpeg

cTr7U.jpeg

Also arrived the replacement PAS hose, to compare the two:

IMG_20210305_093313.jpg

Adapter fits hose......

1dGyz.jpeg

Initially I thought it may be the wrong one and a little short, however, in a trial fit, it all looks great!

waOT6.jpeg

You can also see the fitting I welded up -this is the return line, so not under much pressure, previously it had the return from the hydraulic servo connecting here, however, I converted to vacuum a long while ago now, and this is much tidier than a crimped over brake fitting on the end of a hose. Given the access I have at the moment, it was silly not to tidy this up.

Then I turned my attention to the heatshield above the rear silencer:

EBCYA.jpeg

Crusty (jugglers)....

88Ga4.jpeg

Crustier and crustier..... Literally no way to fix it to the car any more, so something had to be done.

£48 later, this arrived, though it did take some hammer/hand forming (from a raw square sheet):

IMG_20210307_175526.jpg IMG_20210307_175518.jpg

Second one was a still a bit work in progress, both still needed holes drilling for the fixings and the silencer bumpers, which is all done now, and it fits the car, which is most important

I had to fix the boot floor a bit too.... where the electrolytic/dissimilar metal corrosion was happening with the heat shield and the zinc bodywork, there were a few bits where the metal had just got too thin, and the wire cup brush on the grinder said hello to the inside of the car. But that's all fixed, now, and I will be fixing it with waxoyl on the fittings, as well as some neoprene washers, which should keep the metals from touching each other. That plus some bilt hamber epoxy primer and I think it should outlast me.

Apparently my front dampers should arrive this week, as well as the clutch which means I can really crack on with things.
      Last edited by Bowie69; 13 March 2021, 10:51.

Comment

• Liking your heat-shield work

Comment

• Originally posted by John. View Post
          Liking your heat-shield work
          Ta, took a while, but worth it I reckon.

Comment

• Yes, nice work. I love shiny new heat shields
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post

Ta, took a while, but worth it I reckon.
              I bought a Jaguar part (mentioned on this forum) but yours looks the better option, I wonder how many folks just pull it out from under the car when it falls down and starts rattling on the exhaust? Good to have it all the same.

Comment

• Glad it arrived safely. I could have supplied the hose if I'd known you needed one.
                Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

• Thanks Mike, I had a hose coming, I think, before posting on the other threads, either way, all sorted now

Comment

Good to have it all the same.
                    Is this you suggesting I do the part above the centre silencer as well?

..... maybe not

In fact, the centre piece is available at tradition, for what appears not too much money (£164) considering how much it cost and the time involved in making this one.

That said, I am pleased with the way it came out

Comment

• Just scrolled though the pages and saw a lot of good stuff going on here!

JW
                      | project | 1993 Audi 80 VR6 turbo quattro |
                      | daily | 2006 BMW E91 335d | 385bhp 735Nm |

Comment

• Thanks struikie !

More work today, will post up tomorrow probably, front shocks arrived, and clutch kit, so think I pretty much have everything here now to complete

Comment

Is this you suggesting I do the part above the centre silencer as well?

..... maybe not
                          Will be an easier piece than the rear bit to re-create yes?

Quite a shift you're putting in on this!

Comment

Will be an easier piece than the rear bit to re-create yes?

Quite a shift you're putting in on this!

Possibly..... I guess it a question of cost, that panel was over £50 once delivered, 1m X 1m, and I doubt I have enough left to make the other one, though a slightly smaller one may suffice. In all honesty it is much better condition than the rear one, but you have got me thinking about corrosion now....

Speed -well, it has been a bit frustrating to be honest, with a certain German supplier refusing to give credit for parts they couldn't supply, cost me almost 8 weeks, i.e. I would be done by now otherwise....

Also, this I my daily, so to have it off the road for 4 months has been non-ideal, originally I wanted to get things done by Christmas, but having to delve back into some non-covid related home schooling nixed that entirely. I then relaxed a bit, Christmas got in the way, supplier trouble and we are in March.

It'll be back on all four and ready for MOT (if not MOT'd) by the end of the month.

In the mean time I've been bumbling around in a 1954 Morris Minor Traveller, which is fine as we aren't really going anywhere these Covid days, but come late spring that will all change.

Comment

Thanks struikie !

More work today, will post up tomorrow probably, front shocks arrived, and clutch kit, so think I pretty much have everything here now to complete
                              Exciting!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

• OK, a slightly delayed update, apologies for those following along

First, a few picks of the Bilstein B6s:
                                IMG_20210312_094215.jpg

Hint: Don't fit the boot before fitting to the strut, it will get in the way, and these boots are NOT the nice soft rubber found in the rear for some reason. Oh well, still better than most of the rubbish you find out there masquerading as damper boots!

B6s are rebuildable:

IMG_20210312_094223.jpg

You can clearly see where the tool goes in, but this is a pro-rebuild only from what I can work out, due to the pressures involved in them....

One of the boot, definitely in Bilstein blue:

IMG_20210312_094357.jpg

A couple of close ups of the caps, in case you missed it last time:

IMG_20210312_094334.jpg IMG_20210312_094337.jpg

These are a slightly different size compared to the rears, so I had to modify my home made tool to torque them up, but all fitted up and done, ready to go in the vehicle once the gearbox and then subframe are in:

IMG_20210312_135022.jpg

There was a minor issue that delayed assembly, I tipped one of the struts up after removing the old damper, and this came out:

IMG_20210312_100745.jpg

Gave it a good battering to clean it out and then treated the inside with Bilt Hamber S70 -it should never rust again now.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X