Resurrection of my CQ20V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by steve briance View Post
    Automotive crime yes but they've lasted 12 years before corrosion has reappeaered
    Sometimes "the look" has to be sacrificed a bit in the quest for longevity !?

Comment

• Have to admit am subscribed to this thread!! Gutted about your recently issue with your alloys. You’ll not get anywhere with the Council am afraid. Had a few bad experiences myself in my previous A6 had them bang to rights and still didn’t get anywhere.

Comment

• Thanks Anthony, I'm hopeful, but you are probably right.

Currently working on a plan C to try and get the car mobile again, with a view to refurbing them at a later date, watch this space

Comment

• Originally posted by anthonys2 View Post
          You’ll not get anywhere with the Council am afraid. Had a few bad experiences ..
          Hopefully councils will vary region to region?

Comment

• I've got bolts like these in mine - https://www.motorkit.com/en/bolts-an...s-m6-p-10.html although they came from USA
            Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

• Top:- from Prestige Prestige Wheel on-line

Bottom:- eBay......these maybe 20 x Chrome Silver Plastic Wheels Rivets Nuts Rim Lip Replacement Alloys BBS Rep | eBay

Comment

• Sorry to read of your curb bites car incident, and I've no easy solution to offer, save for an example of de-bolted Speedlines (from Hugh Powell's site). I'm sure it could be done even better, for instance if you painted silver the ring he did in purple.

From a strictly appearance standpoint, it may be of interest to know that since a parallel approach to constructing an actual split-rim (here from a one-piece wheel), using bolts carefully hidden on the inside such that it still appears as a one-piece wheel (1st photo), that there is no shame in shaving the Speedlines' needless heads and it would certainly then make future re-refinishing of winter-driven wheels less problematic.

Glad to hear the suspension isn't bent, but is it possible you've at least partially blown a top-mount or A-arm bush or two?

Fuchs splits Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 02.14.23.png Speedline with bolts gone Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 00.49.14.png

Comment

• Thanks all for your posts... they have been absorbed, and am working my way towards a final solution for the non-bent speedlines.

in the meantime.......rollin':

20210813_194433.jpg Making sure he works hard for the care I give him.

Comment

• In other news, the council got back to me about the verge, apparently the adjacent property owner was mistaken, and the verge is his, so it is a civil matter. I'll start with a nicely worded letter and see where I get -he's a doctor, so can probably afford it. Must say, the council were extremely helpful, courteous and polite, professional etc, most impressed.

Also, having set the alignment before leaving for holiday, I can confirm that there were no bent elements, nor had the wishbone bushes burst (poly) and the top mounts all stayed in tact, given they were brand new I am quite pleased.

The alignment issues were plain to see once I had the car on flat ground and pumped tyres, the strut connection to the hub had shifted at the front (rear was perfectly fine, no adjustment needed), so once I corrected that, and reset the front camber and toe all was well, and my steering wheel was even straight!

I'm afraid I like the bolts in the speedlines, so they will have to be kept on refurb, or rather replaced. a true split rim is tempting, if I am honest, but doubt the bank can stretch that far....
                    Last edited by Bowie69; 13 August 2021, 21:46.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post

in the meantime.......rollin':

20210813_194433.jpg

Comment

• Back home now, faultless whilst away, thankfully.

That last pic, I think the lens on my phone is making it looks sleeker than it is, doubtless it looks quite cool to me, even saying so myself.

For the curious, the wheels are Autec Clubracing, 17x7.5, ET38, wrapped in 225/45 Goodyear Asymmetric 5, they make it look fat, in the flesh, with a nice square shoulder to the tyre. Being 7.5" wide, and ET38 (stock wheels are ET37) this means they sit out about 5.5mm more than the stock wheels, and it does show. Clearance to front strut spring perch is an index finger, and the rear about half a finger -but clearance is clearance!

Note I needed spigot rings to go from 63.3mm down to 57.1, which are only a few quid, and a set of wheel bolts, as they use taper rather than the radius style of the old wheels (M14x1.5 x 28mm)

Just after fitting:
                        20210807_100704.jpg

Man I need to wash it, and get the respray booked sharpish!

Comment

• John, I just wanted to say thanks for your earlier post with pics of your rear subframe repair: you inspired me to take a similar approach on my Cq20v… a very similar cancer to what I’ve found

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by jp_paul View Post
                            John, I just wanted to say thanks for your earlier post with pics of your rear subframe repair: you inspired me to take a similar approach on my Cq20v… a very similar cancer to what I’ve found
                            I'm going to need to refer to this as well
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks chaps, had a bit of a forum hiatus over Christmas, busy time of year, but hopefully got some more updates in the coming months

Comment

• WELL, time to get out of the '54 moggy traveller, and back into the coupe....

So the radiator had begun weeping a last year, and started to leave a very small patch on the ground, so I had ordered a new radiator in the autumn ready to do a proper flush and replace it.

Flushed the system with oxalic acid and then the hose until clean water came out of everywhere, and then pulled the old radiator out.

Breaking the PAS cooler pipe in the process, though I'm somewhat suspicious that it was already weeping, and my leaning on it just opened up the existing crack:

20220227_144337.jpg
                                As you can see there and noted in my wanted post the pipe appears to be made in two or three parts, and brazed, or some other method of joining them together, the joint to the corrugated part has come away.

I have a replacement coming, however if these can be rescued, I'd be quite tempted to do so, especially after being described as 'unicorn poo'

Still, I could crack on with other things, and did....

I replaced the coolant stub coming out of the thermostat housing, it looked quite worse for wear:

20220227_141543.jpg

Little tricky to get out, as the suggestion was that you could knock it out from inside the stat housing, this was tricky, with quite a bit in the way still like PAS pump, eventually I gave the stub a whack with a hammer on the exposed stub, and it loosened it enough so I could then easily tap it out from inside with a punch, where previously it refused to budge.

20220227_141433.jpg

New one on the right is one of @error404's from ultraperformance which made a LOT of sense to fit at this point. It tapped in with some difficulty (mostly access) but looks lovely.

Slight rust pool is due to me leaving it a week after flushing, it will get flushed again before refilling with new coolant.

Then on to fitting the new radiator, I unboxed it ready to fit the new fan only yo find they had sent the wrong one. ARGH. Eurocarparts fail. Sigh, have started return, but not holding out hope they will honour as I bought it end of Sept, but will see.

So, things a little on hold at the moment, have a new Behr radiator coming from Ebay, my old one was Nissens, but lasted 15 years, so not a bad innings, gong to try Behr this time. Looks like plastic end tanks now? My Nissens was brass, I guess there is the option to re-core.... however the bottom mount managed to snap off when removing, so maybe not!

After that debacle I decided to get on with stuff I didn't need a radiator for, so whipped the LH front driveshaft off, pulled the gearbox flange and removed the side cover to replace the speedo pickup which I'd managed to fit the wrong way round last winter when I did the undercarriage rebuild. Went smoothly, annoyingly had to remove the gearbox mount as well, but wasn't too bad. New CV bolts on their way as one got marred up, but will button it up, hopefully Friday when I get a full day on things

More to come....

Comment

Working...
                                X