No announcement yet.

Resurrection of my CQ20V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear, that very disheartening, try and look on the bright side and at least it's not a head gasket failure to contend with. Also as cambelts go they're not hard at all to change on these cars as long as you have a crank locking tool and preferably a 3/4" drive breaker bar and socket.

Still, if that was me I'd have been retrieving tools and trim from around my garden this morning.

If your stuck for a locking tool you can borrow mine as that's can go in the post. In fact you can have loan of all the tools required if you can come and get them, depends whereabouts you are.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• That's very kind of you Kit, yes it was disheartening, however I had been wondering if I should do the belt, it as been a while, as this post shows....

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...49#post1238949

just annoying having my hand forced!
      ​​​​​​​
      ​​​​​​​Parts are on order and as that post shows I have the tools ​​​​​​ , so game on, may even strip it on Sunday, can hardly drive it like it is.
      ​​​​​​​
      ​​​​​​​When I did it last time I paid more for a Dolz pump on recommendation from here, not sure if the shaft or block seal failed, but guess will find out.

Comment

• Should have lasted longer than that That's only 7 years
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Oh well, at least you have the tools to hand, that's a major bonus and you obviously know how do the job having done it before. Really 7/8 years is about when these belt's want to be changed if you to stay ever slightly on the cautious side, mileage dependant of course.

I whacked a new one on my 3B after one year and 8K miles on road then four years of simply being stood as I had the complete front end off doing other jobs. I looked at it and thought may as well, took about 1/2 an hour. I also didn't do the previous one myself and had found some slightly questionable work done on other area's of the car so figured it would be good to be sure it had been done right.

I'm not planning on doing any cambelts soon, and very rarely use the 3/4" stuff so it really wouldn't have put me out at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
            Should have lasted longer than that That's only 7 years
            Quite, and a bit 55K.

​​​​​​​Got a QH one coming this time, hopefully OK.

​​​​​​​As kit says not a terrible job to do on these.

Comment

• Careful. QH quality has dropped considerably in the last few years. I would personally get an SKF direct from their website or a Gates from a reputable source.
              what anti freeze are you using?
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Should have lasted longer than that That's only 7 years
                Good point Dave, it will interesting to see what's failed, yes it really should have lasted at least twice that long.

I may actually have a new OE 3B pump knocking about from when I had mine, I know I have at least a couple of good spare pumps, just can't recall what condition their in or what brand they are. I don't keep scrap parts like pumps as they could get muddled up, I do however keep all old idle rollers etc as they can be useful for making other stuff.

I'm in the process of sorting through all my crap, I'll see what I can find, it'll be no use whatsoever for my RS2. Assuming 7A's use the same pump?

Comment

Careful. QH quality has dropped considerably in the last few years. I would personally get an SKF direct from their website or a Gates from a reputable source.
                  This is correct, QH parts do seem to have dropped off in quality or are hit and miss depending on the age of the stock, we've found this at work, their part's were OE spec now I wouldn't be so sure. Can't go wrong with SKF as Dave says and Gate's stuff is also very good, we always use their belt kits unless an owner specifically want's to be bummed by TPS.

Comment

Careful. QH quality has dropped considerably in the last few years. I would personally get an SKF direct from their website or a Gates from a reputable source.
                    I would agree, but SKF don't appear available, nor gates, unless you know where to get one?

​​​​​​​Antifreeze has always been genuine G13, though I am less convinced how good this is after doing a bit of reading.

Comment

• More searching turned up some SKF pumps, but none seems to be able to deliver for more than a week

Same for INA, gates appear non-existant.

Comment

• In that case I'd I'd go with SKF if you can, I've just been and checked the 'Simmonds Parts Conservatory' and unfortunately I don't have a pump I'd be happy with someone depending on, well at least not in my heap of new boxed parts, could be somewhere else but highly unlikely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post

I would agree, but SKF don't appear available, nor gates, unless you know where to get one?

Antifreeze has always been genuine G13, though I am less convinced how good this is after doing a bit of reading.

Direct from SKF
                          https://vehicleaftermarket.skf.com/u...ucts/VKPC81606
                          ​​​​​​​
                          Double check it's the right one for your car as I didn't have your index.
                          Last edited by Tractor Dave; 12 March 2022, 09:26. Reason: Add info
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• SKF are normally very quick. 2-3 working days.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks Dave, couldnt find their shop for some reason!

Have found an SkF pump on amazon, and the seller appears to be SKF direct, so fingers crossed its the same one, plus returns are really easy with amazon....
                              ​​​​​​​
                              ​​​​​​​Will compare to the QH one when arrived, and see what's what.

​​​​​​​Thanks for the help, again.

​​​​​​​Kit, thanks for looking, appreciated, hopefully sorted now

Comment

• No problem at all, happy to try and help...

Glad you got something sorted quickly, as you say will interesting to compare with the QH one. I really want to know why the one on the car failed.

Comment

Working...
                                X