Ruby Red Audi S2 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John. View Post
    Does it drive any different with new lambda sensor?

.....assuming it may be quicker as well now you're not lugging that big bolt everywhere?!!

I'd say so John, hard to describe how, but seems a bit smoother if anything. I'm hoping to see improved mpg as i struggle to get more than 300 miles to a tank

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    Yup that's a crank bolt for sure!

Car looks stunning mate
    Thanks Alex still jobs to be done
    1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
      Surely they would have noticed a big bolt lying around. Bit of a mystery
      You sure it didn't fall out of your neck, Mike??

1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Comment

• Originally posted by geneandbolly View Post
        You sure it didn't fall out of your neck, Mike??
        .....cheeky.

Comment

• Wheel alignment

Yet another job which has been on the to-do list since... well really since i bought it, is to get it properly aligned. Hearing people say how nice their cars steer/corner i've always thought mine wasn't great in this respect.

I wanted to avoid the dealer as usual (my car has never and will never be worked on at a dealer). So i put my address into alignmycar.co.uk to find a place which can do the proper 4 wheel alignment. Hunter wheel alignment is meant to be one of the best.

Turns out Paul Bowers garage is on my doorstep and has the latest Hunter machine. I was very impressed with his service. I took it in and he discovered a few problems before he could do the alignment. Needed tie rod ends, ball joint, cv boot and a wishbone. Tonks sorted me some cast wishbones

Dropped it off on Friday knowing the Scotland Tour was the next day. What a transformation! Best quids i've spent on the car i'd say. Where as before even a white line on the road would unsettle the car now it stays controlled. I feel so much better throwing it into corners where as before i didn't really know what would happen

Still not sure i have the correct ball joint for cast wishbones?

1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• Also since i changed the Lambda sensor i'd say my mpg is better. Not by a massive amount but the last 2 tanks were 24mpg and 25mpg. This is mostly short drives though. I will post up what my next mpg figure is as it was the Scotland Tour weekend so any guesses to this figure before i fill up?!
            1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• Mike am tempted to get this done for mine good to hear the difference is good

Comment

Also since i changed the Lambda sensor i'd say my mpg is better. Not by a massive amount but the last 2 tanks were 24mpg and 25mpg. This is mostly short drives though. I will post up what my next mpg figure is as it was the Scotland Tour weekend so any guesses to this figure before i fill up?!
                You'll get better economy with all 4 wheels pointing in the right direction too!!.......but you might drive it harder through the corners as it's handling better so economy may drop

Comment

• It's a no brainer Anthony,get it done! ..........The love affair goes on Michael. John.........Michael's gonna need all the entry and exit speed his new suspension parts can offer to keep up with a well sorted S6!
                  96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                  96 URS6 plus speck estate
                  94 2.6 80 Avant
                  99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                    It's a no brainer Anthony,get it done! ..........The love affair goes on Michael. John.........Michael's gonna need all the entry and exit speed his new suspension parts can offer to keep up with a well sorted S6!
                    Mike knows the score

.....that's why he's not spending money on his S6!

Comment

• Mike,what size tyres are you running?
                      94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

• Mark...tyres are 225/40/18 if i remember right. Goodyear Eagle F1.

I also now run 15mm spacers all round instead of 20mm. Look wise i think 15mm on the back and 20mm front looks best, but i wanted to keep the same size on both axles.

28mpg for the Saturday leg of the recent Scotland tour. Considering the rate of knots we were travelling that's not too bad Saying that i tootled back down the a9 from Inverness at a much slower rate.

Still not washed the car yet
                        1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Mark...tyres are 225/40/18 if i remember right. Goodyear Eagle F1.

I also now run 15mm spacers all round instead of 20mm. Look wise i think 15mm on the back and 20mm front looks best, but i wanted to keep the same size on both axles.

28mpg for the Saturday leg of the recent Scotland tour. Considering the rate of knots we were travelling that's not too bad Saying that i tootled back down the a9 from Inverness at a much slower rate.

Still not washed the car yet

Thanks Mike,i've got myself a set of these now and just need to know the consensus on what size tyre people are running on these. I might be wrong but i think Macsprings running a 35 profile with his set on his S6?

I did notice in the pictures from last septembers epic that the rear wheels stuck out too much and didn't want to say but as you've mentioned it,reducing the rear will look perfect.

Thats what i love about these cars Mike,you can hurtle along at a rate of knots and yet overall the mps are still respectable and up there!

As to not washing the car yet .....you naught boy!
                          94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

I might be wrong but i think Macsprings running a 35 profile with his set on his S6?
                            255/35/18, on Mk1 S8 Avus rims which are 8" x 18 works for me.

8.5" or 9" might be better again, but it I like the S8 rims, and I don't want to have clearance issues. Besides the 255 tyre on the 8J rims means it is much 'harder' to scrape the rim on kerbs. The wider tyre suits the bigger C4 body and also 255 is very hard to unstick.

Comment

Also since i changed the Lambda sensor i'd say my mpg is better. Not by a massive amount but the last 2 tanks were 24mpg and 25mpg. This is mostly short drives though. I will post up what my next mpg figure is as it was the Scotland Tour weekend so any guesses to this figure before i fill up?!
                              I also found this with my S cars, and so I would also definitely recommend one changes the lambda probe with the correct Bosch one ( at 'about' £65.00stg ) you'll still find it is financially well worth while in a pretty short number of fills of the tank.

Comment

Thats what i love about these cars Mike,you can hurtle along at a rate of knots and yet overall the mps are still respectable and up there!
                                Let's not get carried away, it is all relative.

Comment

Working...
                                X