X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
    A quick clip of the run into Gairloch....oh and excuse the singing

https://youtu.be/skX_-X0bbZ8
    Looks superb! Will we be doing that road in September?
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• I know Tony i remember you mentioning it to me as well

We only need air con about 1 week of the year up here
      1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• I'm glad I had it today- the car showed 29.5c on way home from work today

Just a small Ps- The way you keep the S2 so clean is a credit to you, Mike. It's heartwarming to see her, and to read what other members have posted about her. I only had her for some 2 years, so I take little or no credit for her ongoing beautiful condition, but to the previous owners to me also. Please keep the photos and write-ups coming Mike.
        Last edited by Tonybolony; 30 June 2015, 22:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
          Looks superb! Will we be doing that road in September?
          It's not on the route planned Mark, but we'll see how we get on. There would be a lot of extra single track if we went this way and by that point after being up to Tongue and Durness (quite a bit single track) you'll want to get some open road i would say.

The September route planned is perfect as is
          1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• Yeah your right Mike,the September trip is perfect as it is.Can't wait!
            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
            96 URS6 plus speck estate
            94 2.6 80 Avant
            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonybolony View Post
              I'm glad I had it today- the car showed 29.5c on way home from work today

Just a small Ps- The way you keep the S2 so clean is a credit to you, Mike. It's heartwarming to see her, and to read what other members have posted about her. I only had her for some 2 years, so I take little or no credit for her ongoing beautiful condition, but to the previous owners to me also. Please keep the photos and write-ups coming Mike.
              But if you had to choose S2 OR air-con??? S2 every day even if it's 30 odd degrees!

Nice to hear that , you definitely deserve as much credit as the owners before you bud. That's why she's so good, been treated right by us all. I do my best to keep her tip-top and i quite enjoy writing about the adventures and the day to day life living with a S2.
              1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• the old "rubin rot" is looking amazing in those shots, mike

you''ll need to advise me how to polish that purple helmet to such
                a perfect sheen!!!

1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Comment

• Blink Code reading

Reading fault codes has been on my to do list since i bought the car. Thought i'd give it a go.

There's a great guide on how to do this on S2 Central. All you need is a LED and a jumper wire. Straightforward instructions, but here's a video of me pulling the codes on mine. (i find videos easier to follow)

1. Ignition off: connect LED
                  2. Turn ignition on, LED should light up, connect jumper wire for at least 4 seconds
                  3. Remove jumper wire and blinking sequence begins

http://vid158.photobucket.com/albums...psqacd4feo.mp4
                  Hope it helps someone else

I only seem to have 1 fault code:
                  2413 (Blink Fault Code), 00561 VAG1551/2 Fault Code Number
                  Mixture Adjustment,
                  Adaptation limit exceeded, Adaptation limit not reached, Leakage in exhaust system before 3 Way catalytic converters, Incorrect signal for Mass Air Flow Sensor, Spark plugs, ignition coil(s), or Ignition Coil Power output stage malfunctioning
                  Symptom: Rich mixture, increased fuel consumption

This sounds right as the car is not always as quick as it should be. Usually some contact cleaner on the MAF connector or little wiggle solves this, but i'm starting to think maybe something else is a miss.

Spark plugs recently changed and made no difference.
                  1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• I would be betting on a boost leak leading to a rich mixture, has the car been boost leak tested including the intake manifold and is 100% leak free?

And some 00561 info from PRJ

Originally posted by prj View Post
                    Where are you getting this information from?
                    00561 is an umbrella fault code, it is pretty much worthless without further information.
                    00561 just means that O2 feedback needs to adjust more than a certain amount to get the mixture back in check. This is a long term error code, meaning the long term fuel trim starts to get above or below a certain value.
                    It is similar to the 00537 error, which is exactly the same, except for the short term fuel trim.

The short term and long term fuel trims can be observed in group 000 in VAG-COM - value 9 and 10.
                    They are both multiplicative, and are multipliers for the injection time.
                    To be exact, injection time is multiplied by X/128. So if it is 128, there is no adjustment, less than 128 means you are running too rich and it is pulling fuel, and more than 128 means you are running too lean and it is adding fuel.

You can get the following variations:
                    Adaptation limit (ADD) exceeded
                    Adaptation limit (ADD) not reached
                    Adaptation limit (MUL) exceeded
                    Adaptation limit (MUL) not reached

Exceeded means you are running too lean, and it is adding too much fuel via O2 feedback.
                    Not reached means you are running too rich, and it is pulling too much fuel via O2 feedback.

Without the second part of the fault code or a Group 000 log it is impossible to tell what the problem is...
                    P.S. Feel free to incorporate this information somewhere, if you like. I am 100% sure of everything I wrote in this post.
                    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                      I would be betting on a boost leak leading to a rich mixture, has the car been boost leak tested including the intake manifold and is 100% leak free?

And some 00561 info from PRJ
                      Thanks Andy. Never had it boost leak tested I've read lots on this and i'm still not 100% how to go about it properly. I have access to an old compressor, but how/where i connect it up and what pressure to run i'm not sure.

Bound to be some leaks by now so i'll make this my next job to do
                      1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• Make a bung for the MAF hose, drill a hole in the bung and install a car tyre valve.

Remove the airbox top half complete with MAF and air filter.

Remove the crank case breather from the MAF-turbo hose and plug the MAF hose. (wheel bolt head works)

Fit the MAF bung and pressurize (I normally leak test to the boost pressure I am running, but 15psi or so should be fine (I have had leaks that only appeared to open at higher pressure))

Large leaks will be audible, spray down with soapy water to identify small leaks, check all boost hoses, vac lines, DV, intercooler, all connections, TB boot, around jubilee clips, ISV injector seats/seals, N75, waste gate hose etc

I think some people do a low pressure test of the crank case breather pipes but I am unsure, it needs to be leak free as well.

Watch the MAF plug does not blow out and hit you in the face, I have a nice dent in my bonnet where it shot across the engine bay at high speed

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• I normally use a mityvac on the DV to check the diaphragm as the above leak test pressurizes both sides of the DV.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                            Remove the crank case breather from the MAF-turbo hose and plug the MAF hose. (wheel bolt head works)
                            Thanks for the guide Andy.

Is this the point you mean to plug? (red circle in photo)

Do i need to plug any hoses at the other side of the engine? (other photo)

Determined to do this myself and not pay a garage.
                            Attached Files
                            1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• Yes, remove and plug the maf hose, you can just leave the small pipe hanging. Its to stop you blowing the crank case breather apart.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Cheers, not much room to get a bung in there. Looks like i'll have to take the MAF hose off, bung it and refit.

I made up the main bung with a tyre valve with an old soup tin only to discover it was too small in diameter (measure twice cut once ) On the search for something the right size now.

Today car is running properly, pulling well and seeing 19psi boost, where as for the last week its only got to a max 12psi and felt a lot slower. I'd have thought a boost leak would mean lower boost all the time. I'm still going to do the test as i'm bound to have leaks, but maybe i need to change the MAF pins for new ones.
                                1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X