No announcement yet.

My Ocianic Blue Ur restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managed to change 3 cv joints on axle stands bit akward but doable still not a nice job it is best done on a ramp

Comment

Damn. My last post is missing my solution! Anyway, here goes again.

Use PROPER penetrating fluid. Not wd40 as it just doesn't work in the same way.

I did: squirt, soak, squirt soak etc. Then (maybe even next day) rotate the flange that is holding on to your driveshaft and then tap with a light hammer as you rotate. Tap, squirt, tap, rotate squirt etc etc. The shocking action of the hammer finally let the fluid in and broke the grip and away it came. Prior to that, it was not going to let go and thay was after using stilsons, levers and lots of swearing.

Proper penetrating fluid is a revelation. I'd never been convinced up till this point and have used it ever since if I suspect trouble.

Good luck!
      ​​​​​​
      ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
        Damn. My last post is missing my solution! Anyway, here goes again.

Use PROPER penetrating fluid. Not wd40 as it just doesn't work in the same way.

I did: squirt, soak, squirt soak etc. Then (maybe even next day) rotate the flange that is holding on to your driveshaft and then tap with a light hammer as you rotate. Tap, squirt, tap, rotate squirt etc etc. The shocking action of the hammer finally let the fluid in and broke the grip and away it came. Prior to that, it was not going to let go and thay was after using stilsons, levers and lots of swearing.

Proper penetrating fluid is a revelation. I'd never been convinced up till this point and have used it ever since if I suspect trouble.

Good luck!
        ​​​​​​
        ​​​​​
        That method got the other side off. I will be a bit more persuasive tomorrow
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Best penetrating fluid i have ever used is Omega 636. Dont know if its available in the UK, but it is unreal how good it actualy is. WD40 and the likes are like squirting water on stuff in comparison
          Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

50/50 ATF and thinners bears everything

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
              50/50 ATF and thinners bears everything
              This is correct!

I was going to post about the same thing and glad I read all the way through beforehand.

In refinery maintenance we use 50:50 ATF:Acetone when the off the shelf penetrating oils (typically Loctite 51221 or AeroKroil) aren't up to the task. Best part about the homebrew is that the surface tension is much higher so if you spray it upside down it doesn't drip off the threads as much.
              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
              2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
              2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
              1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
              1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Great tip! Thanks guys. Last driveshaft came off no problem today. Soaked it overnight in the described potion and it did the trick.
                All the struts also removed today and put aside ready for refurbishment.
                I now am having issues with the rear subframe. Two bolts sheared and two came out ok but the frame is still refusing to budge. Of course I had to lower the car down to the ground so that the subframe will not drop on my head and now its difficult to see what's still holding it there. The joys of working on old cars
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Hi Dave you undone all 4 bolts that attach the subframe to the body disconnected all the the brake pipes and handbrake cables, all the suspension components etc. Have you attempted brute force it could be the addition of corrosion around the mounts holding the subframe there not that heavy i managed to get mine off with a pry bar.

Comment

Originally posted by joss01 View Post
                    Hi Dave you undone all 4 bolts that attach the subframe to the body disconnected all the the brake pipes and handbrake cables, all the suspension components etc. Have you attempted brute force it could be the addition of corrosion around the mounts holding the subframe there not that heavy i managed to get mine off with a pry bar.
                    Yep, everything stripped. The bush must be rusted to what's left of the bolt. I will have to cut between the body and the subframe. I didn't want to do this as it makes getting the bolt out difficult. If you have an end you can weld a nut on then unscrew with ease
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I was thinking maybe stuck on what’s left of the bolt..
                      You could try cutting out the rubber to leave the centre of the bush behind.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

On my car we had to cut windows in the chassis and fit new nuts

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                          On my car we had to cut windows in the chassis and fit new nuts
                          Hopefully I wont have to
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

As mentioned. if you can, cut the rubber out. Either use a blowtorch and melt the rubber off, or use a holesaw without the arbour/pilotdrill. Then you should have plenty to weld something on left.
                            Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

Originally posted by fish View Post
                              As mentioned. if you can, cut the rubber out. Either use a blowtorch and melt the rubber off, or use a holesaw without the arbour/pilotdrill. Then you should have plenty to weld something on left.
                              I drilled the rubber out and got the subframe down.

I then cleaned up the bolt and welded a nut on.

Came out nice and easy then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

​​​​​​

Happy days. Thats a relief not having to perform surgery!

I'm sure your plan for the underside includes the full treatment, back to metal, treat rust then apply epoxy/underbody stuff?

Don't forget to have a good root round inside the body where the captive subframe nut is...mine was literally full of dried mud. Heaven know's how this had affected the hidden metal but - a good poke out with a bent wire released a small pile of mud dust, blast with hose, dry and then plenty of dinitrol penetrating cavity wax pumped in there should have done the trick.

Comment

Working...
                                X