No announcement yet.

My Coupe project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got the linkage all back together and now everything is very stiff. I’ve had a chat with Error and hopefully we can sort something out.

So, I moved onto the front struts.
    Removed without too many problems. Abs sensors are solid. I will soak them overnight. Top mounts look to be the original and bump stops and covers are well past their sell by date. I’m tempted to go Koni shocks and standard springs.

Quite a bit of cleaning required in here.

And here.

I’m hopefully going to get the front subframe and struts to the blasters before the end of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• RE: ABS sensors, I think you can still get front ones relatively easily, but if not (like the case for the rears) then I managed to hit them out destroying the outside stainless 'can', but the inner workings came out fine and undamaged.

I then bought two of the cheapest ABS sensors on ebay, and carefully cut the cans off, checked the length against the OE sensor, trimmed to fit, and then epoxy glued the cans in place, making sure they would be water tight.

You can test the sensors with a meter, around 1000 Ohms is right, +/- 150 Ohms, I think.

Still working nearly a year on after my underside refresh

Comment

• Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
        RE: ABS sensors, I think you can still get front ones relatively easily, but if not (like the case for the rears) then I managed to hit them out destroying the outside stainless 'can', but the inner workings came out fine and undamaged.

I then bought two of the cheapest ABS sensors on ebay, and carefully cut the cans off, checked the length against the OE sensor, trimmed to fit, and then epoxy glued the cans in place, making sure they would be water tight.

You can test the sensors with a meter, around 1000 Ohms is right, +/- 150 Ohms, I think.

Still working nearly a year on after my underside refresh
        I do have two good spares but I'm still hoping to save them.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I got a bag of the copper ABS sleeves ages ago as they always suffer while removing the sensors. The idiots at audi wanted £10 each if i remember rightly but, its a part that also suits landrover and i picked up a bag full at £2 each. This was a long time ago so suspect an increase but its still going to be less than audi.

Comment

• Almost all ABS sensors are the same size, so quite easy to get the coppery springy bits, fortunately.

Comment

• Thanks guys. Both came out ok after a soak.
              What took a bit longer was getting the caps off the strut tubes.
              This one was really difficult. Took heat and a very big stilson.

On the other hand, this one was really really really difficult. Lots of heat, a bit more heat, the big stilson and a very big pole. OMG it was solid.

Then all the little bolts that hold the brake pipe and abs line holders sheared off. Cry.
              And I have one spring with a broken end. Cry, cry. Anyone have a good pair of oe ABY coupe springs?
              The shocks are the original and completely dead. Cry, cry, cry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I had really good results drilling out those broken off M6 bolts, go steady, centre punch, start with good quality 3mm drill and work up. If you can get the strut in a drill press it really helps.

New cap nuts are available as spares, if they’re really stuck you can always run a hacksaw cut down them and open them a little with a screwdriver.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

• What colour code is the broken spring? I might have one left..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
                    I had really good results drilling out those broken off M6 bolts, go steady, centre punch, start with good quality 3mm drill and work up. If you can get the strut in a drill press it really helps.

New cap nuts are available as spares, if they’re really stuck you can always run a hacksaw cut down them and open them a little with a screwdriver.
                    Cheers John. One strut already drilled. Boy it's hard metal!
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
                      What colour code is the spring, I might have one left..
                      I will check and pm you
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• My front-end was almost identical so feel for you. My only positive was the springs were not broken. What I would do for that 2 post lift

Comment

• Those strut cap were on good weren't they? What did you soak the ABS sensors with? 50/50 ATF/Acetone maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                            Those strut cap were on good weren't they? What did you soak the ABS sensors with? 50/50 ATF/Acetone maybe?
                            Just WD40. They actually came out quite easily after I could get to the inside.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I thought you might have needed to concoct a special brew potion to work its magic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                                I thought you might have needed to concoct a special brew potion to work its magic.
                                Not this time
                                Nothelle S2 Avant
                                Black Ur project
                                Ocianic Ur project gone
                                S2 Coupe project gone
                                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                                X