• Fat Audi 80
    replied
    Nice work Dave!

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    My 996 calipers got a rub down.

Took ages.

A lick of paint in the poly tunnel (it was 24c in there in the sun).

And then inside in the warm to dry off.
    Oven bake tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Monkeymagic
    replied
    I'm sure I used the Bosch number for the after run pump. It's essentially a washing machine part, a fraction of the "car" part...

Leave a comment:

• Jaswan
    replied
    Top tip for the slave cylinder fitting!!

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    I fitted my spare BOGE slave.
    A little tip I picked up somewhere is to fit a sealed pipe on the clutch line and press the piston all the way in and lock the bleed nipple. This allows you to fit the slave with the rod fully in and makes fitting the bolt easy.

I have the clutch pipe off the bulkhead. I’m going to either re make or ask Hel to make me something.

I bought a new Bosch after run pump. It’s the S4 B6 version. About £30 cheaper than the S2 oe pump and more readily available.

The mount needs to be modified slightly. Two new holes must be drilled allowing the rubber holders to fit.

Then it’s plug and play.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
    Look for a potential cross-threaded slave cylinder bolt, it's a tricky thing to fit (very....) and so easy to cross-thread as the cylinder is trying to jump out of place the whole time, and access is abysmal.
    No, the thread is good. The slave has a round lug that engages in the bolt slot. The aftermarket slave isn't engaging with that slot properly. I had this before when auto Doc sent a slave.
    I have good access as the radiator, bomb and pipes etc are all out.

I've ordered 6mm 12x1 female pipe ends. I just need to find a good 6mm pipe flare tool now.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Look for a potential cross-threaded slave cylinder bolt, it's a tricky thing to fit (very....) and so easy to cross-thread as the cylinder is trying to jump out of place the whole time, and access is abysmal.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    So the quick job of replacing the clutch pipe turned into a bit of a mare!
    I got these in the HEL Black Friday sale.
    Excellent quality.

The pipe that’s there appears to be a home made job. It’s touching the gear linkage and the steering rod!

When I went to undo the pipe, I noticed that the slave is wobbly. I checked the single bolt that holds the slave and it’s tight.
    So, removed the slave and it’s a cheap aftermarket copy that doesn’t fit properly. Luckily, I have a oe Boge spare.
    I then discover someone has chopped the original fitting on the bulkhead pipe to fit their bodge.

Leave a comment:

• newsh
    replied
    Classic MFTS plug failure
    Nice to have a spare

Leave a comment:

• Rikki Kitto
    replied
    Remember mine filling with water when one of the o rings failed and over time wrecked the plug. Make sure the boot is sealed well

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    And checking all the plugs I found that one one on the water rail is falling apart. I seem to remember I had to replace this one on the Avant.

Luckily there is a good one on the cabbie I’m breaking.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    The left side of the block is rather crusty.
    A quick clean up with a wire brush whilst I have access.

When clean, I used Fertan. This stuff is really good on cast metal. It gets into all the nooks and crannies.

10 minutes after applying, it’s already doing its thing.

After a few days, I will rinse off, dry and paint with POR engine paint.

Leave a comment:

• newsh
    replied
    Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
    And thanks to mackenzie50 I now have some decent brakes to fit.

Very nice!

Leave a comment:

• K Simmonds
    replied
    Fair play Dave, your keeping yourself busy! Wish I could be doing the same... Still my elbow is very slowly getting better and my workshop is probably a week off being finished, so at least I have something nice to look forward to.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    And thanks to mackenzie50 I now have some decent brakes to fit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X