No announcement yet.

Black Ur Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel your pain with the bushes, I destroyed two febi bushes trying to press them in, I found if you applied the pressure to the inner of the bush rather than the outer edge they would stretch the rubber allowing it to be pressed in.

Comment

• Yes, probably was using a smaller socket last time.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I went to replace the terminals on the fuel pump and this wire is corroded up it's entire length. I ended up replacing both with new wire into the car. I will be doing the relay mod.

Picked up a second hand Mercedes actuator for a good price.

Just need to remove the plastic part on the rod and put a thread on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Actuator sorted.

And diff mounted into subframe

Ac
          According to the manual, the little spacers on the bushes go on the right and the bigger spacer goes on the left. When I took it apart, both were in the left. It's been apart before so someone made a mistake.

Put some wax inside the subframe and also in the chassis inside the mounts before it went together.

Up it goes.

Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Got the handbrake cables on and all the vac pipes sorted.

Starting to look like a car again. Grin.

Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Nice work Dave, that lift really makes life easy for you, my father is keen to measure it and see if one the same will go in my workshop so we'll be down soon enough. We both want to have a good look at the UR as well, that was one hell of a lucky aquisision.... You just need to find a Sport quattro hiding in a barn now for your next project, actually unfinished ones do pop up occasionaly.

I'm very happy with my three Audis so won't ever be looking for another car again so if there's anything your interesting in aquiring let me know, I hear about all sorts of genuine barn finds being in the classic car trade.

I don't want to say anything but I but you wish those poly bushes weren't red.
              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Yes, agree
                Black would have been best.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Dave, no messing about with you! Itā€™s nearly a sin to take it out now, itā€™s better than new!
                  Is one actuator ON and one OFF?
                  1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                  2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                  2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

• Yeah, but not the end of the world though, I only notice them because I know they're there. Once the car is on the deck no one will ever know and I really like poly bushes, though I tend to use black ones. My 80 will be getting black, blue and red ones as Andy gave me quite a selection, still beggars can't be choosers as they say.

The worst bushes I've ever relpaced were the ones on the back of an Avant sunbframe, they're an odd shape and huge, I'll be leaving mine alone unless they require attenson. I seem to recall beating one in with a lump hammer working on a B5 quattro which share pretty much all the back end componants with a B4 quattro. Well just about everything, there are a couple of very minor differences.

Would love to find an 016 transmisson for my 80 but not much chance of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WDrifter View Post
                      Dave, no messing about with you! Itā€™s nearly a sin to take it out now, itā€™s better than new!
                      Is one actuator ON and one OFF?
                      No. Early Ur has an actuator for the rear diff and another next to it which operates a cable to the front diff. Later Ur has that second actuator mounted on the gearbox.
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks. Every dayā€™s a school day, as they say! Iā€™ve obviously never seen an early diff, though I did wonder when you mentioned that the cable was seized.
                        1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                        2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                        2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

• So today I made a start on the rear track rods. They are in quite good condition, just need an overhaul.

I stripped them down, cleaning all the threads and rebuilt them with lots of copper grease on the internal threads. Two lock nuts needed a little heat to get started.
                          Then off to the spray booth (poly tunnel) for some zinc and then satin black.

Onto wishbones.
                          I had to clean out the powder coat first so that the bushes could be pressed in.

Then a little anti corrosion wax before they are pressed in. I'm using Sachs bushes and they seem good quality.

I went to fit the first wishbone on the car and discovered that I need to remove the subframe bush bolt to make space. Doh! The poly bushes sit a bit lower than standard bush and the front bolts are just in the wrong place.

Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Those wishbone look the same as the ones used on B3/4 cars, I guess if it's not broken don't fix it!

those tie rods look great for 40 year old parts, car were built so much better back then.

Hope to see you this week to collect my 1.8T parts package.

Would be curious to know how much it cost to get the subrame's refreshed, you can tell me when I'm at your's, my farther is very interest in your lift as well.

Comment

• Will do. I will get the kettle on ready
                              Nothelle S2 Avant
                              Black Ur project
                              Ocianic Ur project gone
                              S2 Coupe project gone
                              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Beautiful work being doneā€¦..

Comment

Working...