No announcement yet.

Another "Stroker" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor update, today I made a brace for the turbo (pictures to come). That vgt is heavy and I don't want to destroy my manifold. I have made it out of steel a small triangle that is screwed on the turbo and then at 2 point on the head. I hope that it would be enough.

I also think that the shop tha made the new downpipe put it the wrong way in! I must check this out.
    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Have you drove the car with the vgt running yet. I think if you can get it to last your onto a winner. Vgt made a huge difference to diesel engines, eg look at the old 1.9tdi vw engine power output increases with vgt with no lag.

Comment

• yes, I have done approx 1000km with it and its running good so far.
        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Have a pic of the 351VE on the SQ manifold?
          1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

• it is an MTM-manifold not SQ.
            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Cool. For some reason I thought you had an SQ. The hunt for pics of an SQ manifold with big turbo in a B3/B4 continues!
              1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

• A80Avant has a gt3076 on the sq and also had an hx40 with bullseye 0.70ar turbine housing.

The he351ve on mine is very tight and almost touches the wheel housing. The turbine housing is simply massive!
                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• This the self made cheap but hopefully effective turbo (Huge mofo) brace.

It will be bolted to the head upper and lower points and one at the turbo there I made a threaded hole on the exhaust manifold (blind cast wedge found on HE351VE).
                  Attached Files
                  Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• "Somekind" of brace installed
                    Attached Files
                    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• If you brace it like that it will brake I think. SS pipes expandes a lot and must be able to move. I've never used bracing in my setup and no cracking at all after both normal use and a lot of hard track day miles
                      I use a flex tube in the DP and mount the DP firmly to the gearbox to avoid stresses on the manifold from the exhaust system.

Comment

• I have a cast manifold and a very heavy turbo (approx 22kg). Do you think i should change it?

i also have flexy pipes on the downpipe.
                        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Originally posted by Billman View Post
                          I have a cast manifold and a very heavy turbo (approx 22kg). Do you think i should change it?

i also have flexy pipes on the downpipe.
                          If it's cast it's a different ballgame.
                          The SS pipe for the WG fooled me
                          Cast iron move very little so it should be fine with such a brace.

Comment

• Yes, i used the original wastegate flexy further down the stream for the downpipe and 2 small flexi pipes for the downpipe before the cats.
                            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• After a 4000km trip through the Balkan, I had to make a tuff choice: I have to remove the VGT turbocharger. The exhaust housing is so massive and close to the wheel arch and while I was climbing at 1800 meters altitude behind a truck with almost no cold air flowing through the engine bay it started to melt the plastic of the wheel arch and the anti corrosion of the metal. It was not on flames but it was enough for me to make the decision. On the motorway it was not an issue. Maybe with another exhaust manifold it would be better. Maybe a custom one.

Today I removed the Vgt turbo and it looked like the day I put it on. I have done approximate 6000 km on it.

An hx40 with Billet wheel and bullseye 0.70 ar housing is going on. Let's see how that spools.

On the VGT with no serious fine tuning I had 0.5 bar at 3500 and 1 bar at 3900 on 4. Gear.
                              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• It will be interesting to see what spool and power you have gained or lost. I like the vgt and think its the future. Maybe a thermal mat would of protected your car from the heat...

Comment

Working...
                                X