No announcement yet.

Another "Stroker" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still have some oil leaks from below...it "sprays" in the area between the block and the oil cooler. I am able to see it when driving fast for longer periods so i cant where it comes from. I suspect either oil cooler (maybe a crack at the corner where the line comes in), turbo oil return line oir worse case scenario crank seal at the pulley.

but if it was at the pulley wouldnt that mean that it would also go higher while the pulley rotates? a the top side of the oil pump there is not a drop what so ever.

I also like to mention that the turbine housing i chosen is too big for my liking. I think a 12ccm would be much better suited for me.....eventually i will change it....
    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Here some housings for comparison (hope they will be good enough with iPhone and crappy light). The k26 seems to be almost half as big as the 0.70ar bulleye and the 16ccm seems to be almost 60% bigger than the bullseye (total area both scrolls). I believe the assumption that the 16ccm is almost 1.1 ar is correct and it would explain the late spool I am experiencing (note that these are hx40 housing and not hx35 as I am running now but the comparison is ok since the critical area is not relative to wheel dimensions at least for the holset and the 3k.

Bullseye power 0.70 ar

Holset 16ccm

Machined k26-6
      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• I had an oil leak down there, I'd removed the air conditioning and there was a hole that was blanked off by one of the brackets..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

• Oh yes. I didn't thought about this. There is the turbo oil return line for the cars without AC.
          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Still trying to source the oil leakup front with main canditates:

1. Front crank seal (ring) on the oil pump
            2. oil return plug for non AC cars

Another issue that will clear the next days (AndyP get forward with the swap)

I am also going for another turbo. Although the current one pulls very strong at 1 Bar (i would preffer a bit smaller turbine housing -12 istead of the 16 i have right now) I am in a mood to try out things and I am going for something fancy......pictures to come.....
            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
              id be more worried about getting good ring seals.

do a test, then put a tad of oil down there and do it again. see what the differences are
              I did a test to see if everything is ok with the engine and piston rings.

The car was standing for about 30 min and the water temp was at 50 degrees.

The reading was 125 PSI on 1,2,4 cylinder and 127 PSI on 3 and 5.

Engine static CR is to a calculated 8.3:1
              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• I'm note sure how much effect dropping the CR has on a compression test, but those figures sound low to me. I did a test on mine last week ( CR is 9.0:1 ) and I got 203psi across all cylinders.
                sigpic
                1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• warm or cold engine? Did you put oil inside the cylinders?
                  Forged pistons or stock?
                  How many km has the engine?
                  What cams? (I have reclocked 7A cams with increased overlap).

Oh, I believe I din't hold the throttle open! (not sure about that though). However the fact that test was the same for all cylinders and the values are very close indicates that all cylinder are in the same condition and that was that what i was trying to find out.

I am going to make another test in the short future while trying to find out the oil leak. with warm engine and throttle open for sure.
                  Last edited by Billman; 3 February 2011, 19:04.
                  Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Originally posted by Billman View Post
                    warm or cold engine? Warm
                    Did you put oil inside the cylinders?No
                    Forged pistons or stock?JE Pistons
                    How many km has the engine? 900Km
                    What cams? (I have reclocked 7A cams with increased overlap).3B

Oh, I believe I din't hold the throttle open! (not sure about that though). However the fact that test was the same for all cylinders and the values are very close indicates that all cylinder are in the same condition and that was that what i was trying to find out.

I am going to make another test in the short future while trying to find out the oil leak. with warm engine and throttle open for sure.
                    All spark plugs out and throttle weld wide open.
                    sigpic

Comment

• i did the test because while changing the sparks 2 piston tops seemed wet. I did the test to see if all across where the same. Next time i will be more thorough with it to compare.

(did you changed the one way valve)?
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Originally posted by Billman View Post
                        i did the test because while changing the sparks 2 piston tops seemed wet. I did the test to see if all across where the same. Next time i will be more thorough with it to compare.

(did you changed the one way valve)?
                        No, I'll do it this weekend.
                        sigpic

Comment

• The car goes in today for a new crankshaft seal (front), gasoline oil squirters and a VGT turbo!

I didnt see what my current turbo is capable ofbecause of the oil leak and oil pressure issues but i desided to upgrade to VGT. The wheel design and dimentions are the same but the VGT has cast impeller and not Billett like the non-VGT.
                          I was fancying the idea of VGT quite some time and i desided to go that route (or at least test it)! Pictures to come!!
                          Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Which model do you have? Holset? 351-version? Using a VEMS output with map to control it i hope? :mischeif:

Comment

• Yes HE351VE but with a twin acuator system to control it. At first only mechanical and then through VEMS. I must see if VEMS is needed!
                              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Today i discovered something that bothered me a lot! The guy that made the downpipe for the hx35/40 hybrid made a choke at the beginnning of it from 62mm (housing inner diameter where the v-band is (turbine wheel exducer 60mm)) to 56mm!

i think that would have caused a lot of lag that i originally not expected with that turbo!
                                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                                X