Comment

• Nice

Hurry up and get it started so I know the new oil squirters work
      sigpic
      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Hopefully on Friday with new downpipe!
        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Originally posted by Billman View Post
          The car goes in today for a new crankshaft seal (front), gasoline oil squirters and a VGT turbo!

I didnt see what my current turbo is capable ofbecause of the oil leak and oil pressure issues but i desided to upgrade to VGT. The wheel design and dimentions are the same but the VGT has cast impeller and not Billett like the non-VGT.
          I was fancying the idea of VGT quite some time and i desided to go that route (or at least test it)! Pictures to come!!
          Cool! Can you run without a WG on the VGT turbo? What power level/spool do you have as target? I'm watching this
          Leif-Helge
          -91 S2 VEMS and Comp Turbo
          -12 B** 530XD Touring "S2 parts transporter, and daily driver"

Comment

• I don't think that it is possible. The overall boost is controlled by the EWG and the AR by the Vgt.
            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• I think you can run without a WG... I work with 531VE's every day... these things can make air at any operating point.
              I'm interested to see how long the VGT mechanism goes on a petrol engine, does 4000hr's @ 700 deg turbine inlet upto 525kPa

Comment

• Yes but because we want less than 4 bar boost we use the external.

I read somewhere that Holset test the turbos to handle full operating pressure and temps for at least 24 hours. On cars the full throttle run is achieved rather quickly.....apart from it don't confuse holset vgt with garters vnt.
                The first one has one moving part the second million parts!
                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Installed HE351VE today and tried a bit the vane manually. at full closed position it seems to be too restrictive even at idle. the engine is allmost silent (even with no DP on :-) )

I also want to see how it behaves because it seems that with the billet wheel on the hx35/40 the hybrid was spinning fast at idle even with a 16ccm housing....maybe it need to run a bit so the bearings are nicely lubricated....it was just the first start.....

i also have a small water leak from the welded holes (that where originally cooling the VGT electronics) but this will be sorted out!
                  Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• The car has a DP now!!!

But I have a problem with the belt cover. I used a 7A one because of the tensioner (water pump) and the roller on the oil pump.
                    I had to cut an opening on backplate for the hall sender and change the holes on the plastic cover. Now it moves because of the small gap to the crankshaft pulley metal cover and it touches a bit the belt and I must find a solution.
                    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• In what way will the vanes be controlled, via a Map/RPM table? I have to search the web to learn more about VGT turbo's and how to control them, interesting stuff!
                      Leif-Helge

Comment

• You can do many thing from simply mechanical to electronically controlled
                        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• @ dkw_dude:

They normally are running closed loop based on turbine pressure mapped in a load vs. rpm table. AFAIK they are equipped with a speed sensor.
                          Controlling Holset actuators is quite complicated, they are CAN controlled, dual stepper motors, and are 'smart' so they detect effort & temperature overload on the mechanism.
                          Next to that they need cleaning wipes to ensure that the mechanism doesn't stick over time.

@ Billman:
                          Did you block the VGT actuator coolant holes?

Comment

• yep, that way i can run water through the turbo to cool it!

Unfortunately today I was sick and was not able to install the x-member and the IC so i can start experimenting with the VGT.
                            Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Hi, how is the VGT experiment going?
                              Leif-Helge

Comment

• I installed the control valves etc and i am gonna make a log to compare but only to 1.3-1.5 bar.

It still needs minor modifications to set it up right.
                                Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Working...
                                X