No announcement yet.

20V CQ Tidy Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah I saw that it's much tidier. I looked at doing it but don't have room to flip the throttle body with the AC condenser. I guess that is why Wagner and MTM did it like that. I also looked at using a pulley but the boss is machined at a funny angle and the throttle cable dragged across the corner of the throttle cam. I have modified my throttle cable bracket a bit instead
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• So this was my cable. I wanted to keep it as stock as possible.

Started off with a stock V6 cable kindly donated by Dubmanted - thanks again mate

V6 cable.JPG

I cut off the ferrules and disassembled into bits:

V6 cable disassembled.JPG

Got some PVC coated wire rope. I could have red - so I did
      Also got a selection of swage terminals. Couldn't quite find the exact ones used on the OEM cable, but hopefully can make something work out of this lot:

OEM Ferrule.JPG

Cut off the pedal spring end and joined to the new cable. I had to redo this after the picture was taken as it jammed the pulley on top of the pedal box. In the end I joined it right by the spring:

Pedal Spring.JPG

The main outer sheath is 7mm O/D bowden cable

New Assembly.JPG

I also didn't like the angle that the cable bracket in the Wagner kit pointed the cable at the middle of the pulley or the cable was pulled at an angle on the bracket.

Bracket.JPG

So I modifided the bracket a bit.

Bracket Cut.JPG

Bracket Welded.JPG

Thats better. Size the cable up, then terminate & all done

Modified Bracket.JPG

Error404 Cable.JPG​​​​​​​
      Last edited by Error404; 21 September 2017, 20:44.
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Nice updates.

What do you use to crimp?
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Good move Alex. I reverted to my worn out throttle cam because of the cable dragging across the corner, on the billet one it was getting hung up.. I'd already tried some bending of the bracket but I'll have a look at it again next time I'm in there.

Did you space the bracket up as well as changing the angle?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

• Using an old brake flaring tool in a vice to crimp. Not the prettiest but works ok. The proper tools are crazy money
            John I cut and twisted the cable holder, i also bent it back a touch to point at the end of the cam, then welded it up. Shame they introduced this bracket system, the pulley is a much better solution IMHO. I guess the LHD guys can use an OEM cable with the bracket so it suits them better
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Well done Alex!
              Fantastic job mate .. Can't wait to see it [emoji106]🏻[emoji482]
              Danny
              www.dnaautocare.co.uk

Comment

• Cheers mate. Need to sort out the wiring alterations next, injector harness is past its best so will remake that at the same time
                Then should be up to see you in the new year to test it on the dyno
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Alex I thought you had decided to start on the S2 you bought? Given the quality of work you have put into the CQ it would be a shame to stop now.

Comment

• Hiya mate. Not done anything with the ABY yet. Been super busy this year. Plan is to get the hardware fitted on the CQ and any niggles ironed out while I prep the shell. I want it painted and need to save some dosh up for that. Will build a spit and flip it so I can reseal it underneath and add a few pickups for additional chassis bracing and some slight alterations. Once that's done I will see if I have enough cash to ask Ish to paint it for me
                    Then shell swap and car is finished for good - draw a line under it.
                    Following that I might cage the CQ and go nuts to make it handle
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• So is the plan to keep the cq or donate all the best bits to the aby? I suppose it keeps you well and truly entertained.

Comment

• Yes pretty much everything I've done up till now will go into the ABY, trying to create the ultimate fast road S2. Then CQ will be different, not crazy power but more hardcore track orientated - planning on cage, multi-link rear suspension, loose as much weight as possible and make it handle.
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• The best of both worlds then. A plush aby and a hardcore cq. Sounds good to me..

Comment

• I recon I have enough bits kicking about to pretty much rebuild the CQ as a budget track car
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Finally got a day to spend on the coupe yesterday and got a few more bits done.

First off I modded the PAS pump bracket. The Wagner reverse inlet gets in the way and means people use a shorter belt but I didn't want to give up my custom adjuster arrangement that took ages to make. So I filed some material off the corner of the bracket - works a treat, this gives around 20mm more clearance so the standard belt can be retained

0F972FDE-3944-4F08-843E-AAF801A41E10_zps0oufc5mi.JPG

With the belt fully tensioned:

49DA6EDF-19C2-4C07-BA93-66E1B05A311E_zpsqyopkrjk.JPG

I also got a large 19row Mocal oil cooler. This is going in the aux rad position - its a tight fit! I was getting the oil pretty hot on the road, let alone the track so this should work nicely and cope with future upgrades.
                              I won some of the proper Mocal anti-vibration mounts on ebay for a few quid so I thought I'd make up some brackets etc to use them.

75D99EB1-0227-479B-93CE-59B207B7307B_zpsk7istsza.JPG

05EA08D2-6FCD-4045-8AD1-E13BDC166112_zpss7wck2bl.JPG

070D5174-CF50-4889-8BF9-C4A11AF57104_zps8vtoy8or.JPG

Assembles like so:

AC28BBF3-DDB9-4AEF-B48C-39C051F04883_zpscfmhqje4.JPG

I modded the snub mount on the Wagner cross member to create more space for the cooler:

733D9760-1FB8-4509-B7C1-3CA67CDB0DD9_zpsf8kqbn6f.JPG

Lower bracket bolts on:

2D6E28F1-18AC-4B2E-88F8-CEEE9B16CA92_zps0vacxiy2.JPG

Fit the rest into place:

677609FB-74A6-44D9-BFF0-E1B3C5ABDA80_zpskmyh6bck.JPG

The top two brackets bolt to holes in the slam panel:

A5913B77-6A92-4D38-B755-24162DE52C54_zpsljie0xkr.JPG

5A46647E-97D5-4CC3-A90F-59F1ADAF9746_zpsumbyjetw.JPG

Made up some -10AN lines. These are my first effort with AN stuff, hope they don't leak

45E3D340-0331-4279-9F26-406F821E0632_zpswdg74qxq.JPG

VERY tight for space down there with AC. I think I will add some fire sleeve to them when I have some more spare dosh:

8A280CFB-897E-4939-84F8-784679992CC3_zpsf9nlswkt.JPG

0B4C6D34-0C13-4DA5-9BA0-8103FB595E1F_zpsalrrca1q.JPG

B46C3678-B5E1-49E0-8F01-FA10F4542F95_zpss3vugrl3.JPG

All done

78DF5F08-8324-4CE8-A86E-9F721480AB72_zpsptyspixp.JPG

Also I have ordered a Maxx ECU
                              Last edited by Error404; 21 September 2017, 20:58.
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Tidy oil cooler install, you really are taking the time to make brackets nice, rather than just make it work, it really shows

How did you cut the AN hose?

I shortened AN hoses for my 350 oil cooler and was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it went, I was expecting a lot more issues (never played with AN stuff before either).
                                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                                X