No announcement yet.

Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a 16 spare fit over your brakes? could you not get a narrow 17x7 or even 18x7 with a small-ish offset (ET25-30) to give you extra brake room and a similar outer track width to the other 4?
    Just a thought, tell me to shut up if im not making sense
    Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
    03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
    01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

• You could do the ol'switcheroo if you had a front flat, just pop the 16 on the back, and put the 18 you took off onto the front
      Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

• Anything below 18 will not fit over my front brakes.

The 2 sizes in the correct offset etc and style are 16x7 and 17x7.5, but a 215/50 tyre on 17x7.5 seems a bit narrow (which is the tyre size that matches the 235/40/18).

If the event of a tyre failure on the front i'd be moving a rear wheel to the front and putting the spare on the back. That's the idea anyway!
        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Be careful though mate as I don't think anything wider than a 205 will fit in the coupe spare well
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• .225 fits just but 215 should be fine. You may need to trim the floor where it joins the wheel well
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
              Anything below 18 will not fit over my front brakes.

The 2 sizes in the correct offset etc and style are 16x7 and 17x7.5, but a 215/50 tyre on 17x7.5 seems a bit narrow (which is the tyre size that matches the 235/40/18).

If the event of a tyre failure on the front i'd be moving a rear wheel to the front and putting the spare on the back. That's the idea anyway!
              Fair enough! makes sense.
              Remember though that an Avus 16" is 7.5 wide and as standard fitted with a 205/55 so i would have thought a 215/50 on a 17x7.5 should be fine
              Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
              03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
              01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

• A 225 on a 17x7.5J will go in the spare wheel well, but it requires a special technique to get it out again.

The problem arises when you have to stash your punctured 18 somewhere when you drive home. Even Porsche didn't think of that. Unless they just expect you to leave it by the roadside, as you are expected to have enough $$$ to cover the cost of a new tyre and a a new wheel.
                SS

Comment

• They do look rather nice after 2 coats of high temp sealant

I weighed them in at exactly 10.2kg, and my old ones, at 13.2kg, only 3kg heavier, are no way near as bad as i thought! I was expected them to be 15-18kg.

Comment

• Are you getting a 17x7.5 too? Can you weigh it please...
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• Not in the foreseeable future i'm afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                        They do look rather nice after 2 coats of high temp sealant
                        Can you please elaborate on that sealant - i.e. what brand, what is it used for, etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by afterburner View Post
                          Can you please elaborate on that sealant - i.e. what brand, what is it used for, etc?
                          Sure... It's called Finish Kare 1000p and is basically like a wax that works wonders on alloy wheels being resistant to high temperatures such as those from your brakes which would degrade a normal car wax, and it's extremely durable.

It's a piece of piss to apply to a set of wheels off the car and with no tyres on, whereas it can be a faff with the wheels on the car, so it seems silly not to put the time in beforehand!

It makes cleaning the alloys really quick and simple afterwards as it stops so much brake dust and tar from sticking to them and means you can just clean them with a bucket of shampoo and a brush. No strong alloy cleaner required.

You apply it just like a normal wax with a foam pad and buff with a microfibre cloth - just don't let it dry for to long before you buff it, as dries solid

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealan.../prod_589.html

Comment

• Thanks! Will try some

Comment

• I would, it's not expensive and that tin will last you forever.

2 bits of advise - as i say, don't leave it to long before buffing, and 2nd, don't apply too much which is very easy to do!

Comment

• Where did you buy the wheels? Can't wait to see these on the car.
                                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                                X