Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To force boost put a 1.9 bar spring in and torque it down
    Runs better on the other ecu.......
    What happens if you put AndyS ecu and injectors in your car?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
      To force boost pit a 1.9 bar aping in and torque it down
      Runs better on the other ecu.......
      What happens if you put AndyS ecu and injectors in your car?
      Reading before posting is a good idea. Never hurt anyone before.

Also, easiest way to check boost, is by disconnecting the wastegate hose from the lower chamber of the wastegate and blocking it off.
      http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Wasn't talking to you feel free not to comment further if you wanted to help you could have when you were in the uk instead of ignoring the member in question

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
          Wasn't talking to you feel free not to comment further if you wanted to help you could have when you were in the uk instead of ignoring the member in question
          Ignoring the member in question?
          Actually it was *him* who chose not to come down. Keep going.
          I know nothing would feel better to you, than to blame all his problems with his car on my tune, and tell him to install VEMS.
          Surely, that would make everything better.

Ross/Andy:
          You should really just leave the ECU alone.
          I know that you have no idea how the thing works, so you suspect all sorts of problems, but electronics don't just randomly fail by dumping fuel into your car.

If there is a problem with the ECU it either works or it doesn't work at all.
          There's no in-between.

I also checked your tune over, everything is exactly as it should be.
          You are running exactly the same file that Avantus is running, and on which he made 3.3 sec FATS.
          The only difference is the injectors are adjusted for a 4 bar FPR from 3.8 (tiny change), the identification string is different (that shows in VAG-COM) and the checksum is different.
          Also, you are running exactly the same injectors as he is, from the same batch. I sold 5 to him and 5 to you.

The only difference between Ross' map and yours is the timing map, launch control setup and injector constant (plus timing and identification).

Of course the boost setup is different between all three of you (Avantus/Ross/Sonic), but fuel is pretty much the same.
          Last edited by prj; 29 January 2012, 15:02.

Comment

• Yeah wastegate looks like a good candidate to check next up, is the diagpharm in it ok too?
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocco View Post
              Andy,have you checked your wastegate?

most of our wastegates are tired and very used...and if they has "play" inside...that´s a big boost problem

good luck¡¡
              i told you, come on hurry up Andy¡¡
              RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
              BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
              LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

• Whatever the wastegate does is not going to affect the AFR.
                Metered air is going somewhere it should not be going.

Comment

• As Ross has posted, some interesting work this weekend whilst me and Ross put our brains/cars together!

We've replaced every sensor that should have any effect, with no change - TPS, WGFV, DV, IAT, FPR, MAF, MFTS. The lambda is also good.

Regarding the timing, it was set out, and MRC have looked at it so i assume it is set correctly with the RS2 exhaust cam and the adjustable cam pulley. The only thing i can think to try is putting the ABY exhaust cam and stock cam pulley back on just to be 100% certain.

The real fun came when we switched the ECU (the 4bar FPR and ev14 injectors were kept the same - we didnt have time to change the injectors over).

There was an immediate difference, misfire in idle disappeared, revs on idle dropped, and the car gave me a taste of what it would feel like

We immediately noticed the AFR's were looking better, as normally at 2krpm with no boost if i WOT AFR drops to <10, with Ross's ECU they stayed up.

Fuelling seemed to be fixed, the car boosted with no hesitation, and held 1.3-1.4 bar solid with AFR's at around 11.5-12. Quite simply transformed from how it is with my ECU.

The clearly odd thing is the way it still wouldn't boost > 1.4 bar even at WOT despite Ross's ECU pushing for 2.1 bar.

The only conclusion we could come to is that even with the fuelling running right, without being stupidly rich, there was still another problem with boost, unrelated to fuelling. The only 2 things we can think are turbo or WG.

Either way, to feel the car running as it was, even with .6 bar less than it should do, i got that special feeling again

I'm running very low on cash to spend on this now, every sensor i've bought to try/replace, every person/garage i get to look at it - it all adds up, and i have a wedding to pay for later this year. I worked out what i've spent on the car since owning it (never a good idea!) and i could be tooling about in a nice spec v12 Aston Martin DB9 coupe, with change.

BUT... i think i'll be hanging in there yet. I just want this ****ing thing working.

Ross almost didn't get his ECU back

Originally posted by prj View Post
                  Metered air is going somewhere it should not be going.
                  OR too much fuel is being injected... surely?
                  S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• OR too much fuel is being injected... surely?
                    Fuel injected is LOAD*Target lambda*Injector constant+injector latency.
                    Log your car, likely your LOAD is way higher.

And really, post logs. At least AFR vs MAP vs RPM.

Your problem has not gone anywhere. I mean, if you like I can send you a chip where I will tell the ECU to run 17 AFR, and it'll run 13 instead. Do you consider this "fixing your car" ?

I am getting a bit tired of this to be honest.

Ross also mentioned your engine is overfilled with oil and there's lots of smoke from your exhaust.
                    It is interesting how you conveniently forget to mention that. To me it seems like your boost is going into your PCV. Be it because something is connected wrong, valve(s) not sealing properly or bad compression.

Comment

• can it be that a clogged fuel return line causing it to run rich?

Boost can be wastegate related as pointed out.
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• Originally posted by Billman View Post
                        can it be that a clogged fuel return line causing it to run rich?

Boost can be wastegate related as pointed out.
                        Yea, it can be. I have asked them to measure fuel pressure many times, but so far this has not been done.

All the information given is also very circumstantial at best.
                        There are *no* hard numbers. Not a single log, nothing.
                        Makes it impossible to diagnose anything. A full ZT2 system is fitted, yet it is not used for logs, etc...

I mean I'd be happy with even a single reading from Group 000 in VAG-COM, because I could see fuel trims...
                        Last edited by prj; 29 January 2012, 19:55.

Comment

• Originally posted by prj View Post
                          Fuel injected is LOAD*Target lambda*Injector constant+injector latency.
                          Log your car, likely your LOAD is way higher.

And really, post logs. At least AFR vs MAP vs RPM.
                          Thank you - i bow to your superior knowledge. I did not know this, as i don't programme ECU's for a living.

Your problem has not gone anywhere. I mean, if you like I can send you a chip where I will tell the ECU to run 17 AFR, and it'll run 13 instead. Do you consider this "fixing your car" ?
                          I did not understand this is what it was doing. Neither did Ross. As i understood it, we had the same injectors.

Ross also mentioned your engine is overfilled with oil and there's lots of smoke from your exhaust.
                          It is interesting how you conveniently forget to mention that.
                          Yes, there is lots of smoke. I assumed this was just because the car is mega running rich on idle (10 AFR).

The oil is slightly above the max line when we checked, yes. I didn't "conveniently" forget to mention this, i genuinely didn't see it as a reason for concern or likely to cause AFR of 9.6 and max boost of 1.4. What are you trying to imply? It's not like i've attempted to try and blame these problems on you or rubbish your reputation on the forum.

To me it seems like your boost is going into your PCV. Be it because something is connected wrong, valve(s) not sealing properly or bad compression.
                          Have you looked at the diagrams and details that have been posted about the catch-tank system i have? It is not stock, and i cannot see how any boost can be going into that system unless it's compression.

I understand you've tried to help, and despite your sometimes abrasive posts, i've read/listened to your superior experience and knowledge and tried to apply that to the best of my abilities.

Ignoring the member in question?
                          Actually it was *him* who chose not to come down. Keep going.
                          I wasn't going to bother replying to this... but just to be clear, you ignored all of my emails leading up to the date, i only found out your whereabouts on the last evening you were here, hours before you were due to leave, from another member, whilst you were busy on Lloyds car.

Despite agreeing a date with you to look at the car you made none, 0, nada, nill attempt to contact me or let me know where you were going to be when you could look at the car.

It seemed clear that you wouldn't be interesting in looking at or spending any time on the car whilst it wasn't working, you said so yourself - so why would i bother spending money on fuel and time coming down if you weren't going to help? Only to be left frustrated, as seems to be the only way with this car at the moment.

I can absolutely assure you that if i'd have known when and where you'd be to look at the car - i would have been there.

Yea, it can be. I have asked them to measure fuel pressure many times, but so far this has not been done.
                          I have fitted a new FPR - why would this make a difference? How do i measure FPR?

All the information given is also very circumstantial at best.
                          There are *no* hard numbers. Not a single log, nothing.
                          Makes it impossible to diagnose anything. A full ZT2 system is fitted, yet it is not used for logs, etc...

I mean I'd be happy with even a single reading from Group 000 in VAG-COM, because I could see fuel trims...
                          As stated, a zt2 system with seperate WB lambda, egt and pressure. No rpm.

I have not used the system for logging, only real-time stats whilst driving which have been posted multiple times. What would logs from the zt2 tell you in addition to what i am writing?

I'll have to look into it as ive never ran a log - but i still remain unsure as to whether you'll be prepared to look at what's happening and blame anything other than a boost leak.
                          S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Engine temp sensor failure on my Volvo T4 gave me Jet black smoke clouds and ran like a total dog. Which sensors have you replaced?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                              Yes, there is lots of smoke. I assumed this was just because the car is mega running rich on idle (10 AFR).
                              If it is running mega rich on idle, something else is wrong.
                              You never mentioned this until now.
                              But I am glad we are getting somewhere.
                              The oil is slightly above the max line when we checked, yes. I didn't "conveniently" forget to mention this, i genuinely didn't see it as a reason for concern or likely to cause AFR of 9.6 and max boost of 1.4. What are you trying to imply? It's not like i've attempted to try and blame these problems on you or rubbish your reputation on the forum.
                              From what I have read in the PM Ross sent me, it seemed as if it was oil smoke.
                              If it is fuel smoke, it is a different question.
                              Have you looked at the diagrams and details that have been posted about the catch-tank system i have? It is not stock, and i cannot see how any boost can be going into that system unless it's compression.
                              I can't see it either, but then I don't have the car in front of me.
                              I wasn't going to bother replying to this... but just to be clear, you ignored all of my emails leading up to the date, i only found out your whereabouts on the last evening you were here, hours before you were due to leave, from another member, whilst you were busy on Lloyds car.
                              Sorry, but this is just plain wrong.
                              Look at your e-mail history. It is possible I left *one* e-mail unanswered.
                              I actually flew over to the UK pretty much directly from the Ukraine. We had agreed earlier on the exact date (as I had flight tickets), and I was really curious as to why you were not coming down.
                              Ross also phoned Lloyd quite a few times within the two days I actually was in the UK (yes, I came for two days) and you were aware I was there, so you had plenty of time to come down.
                              It seemed clear that you wouldn't be interesting in looking at or spending any time on the car whilst it wasn't working, you said so yourself - so why would i bother spending money on fuel and time coming down if you weren't going to help? Only to be left frustrated, as seems to be the only way with this car at the moment.
                              The only thing I said is, that I would not be able to diagnose the car, as we did not have a workshop available to do this at.
                              Paul literally changed Lloyd's fuel pump on the drive for example. So even if you brought it down there it would not have mattered, as I was there to map four cars in two days, and did not have a workshop to troubleshoot problems. I slept for a grand total of 6 hours or so during those two days, as Lloyd can confirm.
                              I have fitted a new FPR - why would this make a difference? How do i measure FPR?
                              You need to attach a pressure gauge to the fuel line and measure actual fuel pressure.
                              As stated, a zt2 system with seperate WB lambda, egt and pressure. No rpm.
                              It has an RPM input. Use the wire that feeds the instrument cluster.
                              Or just post a log with AFR vs Boost through a third gear pull.
                              I have not used the system for logging, only real-time stats whilst driving which have been posted multiple times. What would logs from the zt2 tell you in addition to what i am writing?
                              What you are writing is sporadic. At one point you say it's running rich under boost, then you are saying it's running rich on idle, then you are saying "AFR is fine with the other ECU", but it is not up to you to decide whether "AFR is fine".
                              If I had even a single third gear pull log to look at, it is likely I could diagnose most of the problem.
                              I'll have to look into it as ive never ran a log - but i still remain unsure as to whether you'll be prepared to look at what's happening and blame anything other than a boost leak.
                              But it is most likely a boost leak somewhere. Car doesn't boost and runs rich on boost.
                              The fact that it runs 11.5 AFR with 1.3 bar with Ross' ECU just further shows the problem.

Do the following at the same time:
                              1. Put ZT2 logging.
                              2. Put VAG-COM logging Group 000 and Group 001
                              3. Do a 3rd gear pull.

Stop both logs, post them up/send them to me.
                              You can always contact me at audichip _at_ gmail (dot) com as well. I no longer work for the company, where you used to contact me.

Also, the only thing that can be wrong with the ECU is R201, if I somehow forgot to change it. It wouldn't explain why your car runs 11.5 AFR with Ross' ECU though.
                              You can measure and verify it via pin 7 and 25 on the ecu, according to the guide posted at 034:
                              http://www.034motorsport.com/aanrs2-...alls-a-15.html

Do this, and let me know.

Comment

• Originally posted by chezz View Post
                                Engine temp sensor failure on my Volvo T4 gave me Jet black smoke clouds and ran like a total dog. Which sensors have you replaced?
                                This is actually valid.. and it would make the car run pig rich.

Could you please log the Coolant sensor and the IAT sensor in VAG-COM at normal operating temperature?
                                Do they show correct values?

Comment

Working...
                                X