No announcement yet.

Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 exhaust cam with adjustable exhaust cam pulley yes.
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• righto....

is it like this one?...see below..
      Attached Files

Comment

• Yes - looks exactly the same, from 034.

Comment

• ignore me...my idea has gone out of the window after a look back into the history of your thread and found info contrary to my thoughts...soz like...

Comment

• Glad you got another step forward, great motivation getting a run with it working a little bit better.

I could've phoned him with but I thought by keeping info public it may help others one day.
            That is a great thing about the forum, we can learn for other peoples builds, lots of us read, leanr and appreciate stuff even though we have no involvement in the threads.
            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
              RS2 exhaust cam with adjustable exhaust cam pulley yes.
              Are we all aware that if you adjust the vernier both cams shift timing by the exact same degree! The vernier does not soley control one cam...just trying to clarify a point here which hopefully, encourages you to return to the stock cam setup...there is a lot of information flying around here, so you may already be aware of this point

Comment

• MRC timed it up - one would assume they know what they are doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                  MRC timed it up - one would assume they know what they are doing.
                  You wont be changing it then

Comment

• Start with the "easy bits".

-Change resistor --> Check car function
                    -Change WG --->check boost

and then.....change cams - make compression test
                    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

• A sort of quick win here would be to try the RS2 cam pulley as opposed to stripping the top end. Not sure what they cost as opposed to the labour involved. Unlesss of course someone has one sitting around you could try.
                      You would have to investigate where that would put the pulley mark relative to the cam cover mark or we wil be back to square one!
                      They is nothing wrong with that cam choice, its just we don't know what happens when you install that with an aftermarket cam pulley, especially as unlike the OE pully, there are not two variants. Be worthwhile noting whether it has been set up as advanced/retarded before taking it off.
                      It would be useful to have someone knowledgable explain in laymans term the effects of altering cam timing (not here!) on these engines. As we cannot individually adjust the inlet/exhaust relative to each other without I guess adjustable sprockets, what advantage is an adjustable cam gear apart from perhaps being stronger than the OE one or allowing for perhaps slight differences in deck height/head resurfacing etc. Excepting bling of course!

Comment

• Judging by the need for the R201 mod, I am assuming Dmitri has based the SW on the ADU. The exhaust cam is ADU, right?
                        Is the adjustable pulley for an ABY or ADU? Is the hall sensor window in the correct position?
                        I'm fairly new to this ABY/ADU hall sensor business, but I know the 3B is very fussy about its position.

I'd be tempted to put an RS2 cam pulley on it to rule it out. Although I'd borrow one, seeing as they now retail at £133.58, compared to £59.72 for the ABY, and £29.44 for the 3B.
                        SS

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                          Judging by the need for the R201 mod, I am assuming Dmitri has based the SW on the ADU. The exhaust cam is ADU, right?
                          Is the adjustable pulley for an ABY or ADU? Is the hall sensor window in the correct position?
                          I'm fairly new to this ABY/ADU hall sensor business, but I know the 3B is very fussy about its position.

I'd be tempted to put an RS2 cam pulley on it to rule it out. Although I'd borrow one, seeing as they now retail at £133.58, compared to £59.72 for the ABY, and £29.44 for the 3B.
                          Hall sensor either works or not. It's only used to determine engine phase at startup and then not used anymore pretty much.
                          Software does not care. Newer AAN and ADU software is completely the same, just different calibration.
                          http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Originally posted by prj View Post
                            Hall sensor either works or not. It's only used to determine engine phase at startup and then not used anymore pretty much.
                            Software does not care. Newer AAN and ADU software is completely the same, just different calibration.
                            That's good to be confirmed.
                            I know when I made the bracket for my ABY hall sender, I compared ABY and ADU sensor windows, and couldn't get my head around it not being critical about the position. Whereas on the 3B I had the get the distributor lined up precisely.

I agree with Billman about trying the easy/cheap stuff first.
                            Get the R201 done, double check the cam timing, measure the fuel pressure, so on.
                            SS

Comment

• Originally posted by prj View Post
                              Why does the RS2 throw a fault code for the hall sender when the timing is misaligned?
                              Somehow it must be picking that up. Of course we know little of the Motronic mysteries, but the timing window must have some function other than just confirming that the engine is phased correctly. Its critical enough for Audi/Porsche to reposition it. If it is used to sort of work out where everything is at the beginning and its wrong, isn't that going to cause problems?
                              Disclaimer: Not looking for an argument, only to help Sonic!

Comment

• Well the water pump and the belt is different.

Basically the only thing the software checks is that the hall sensor is in check with with crankshaft and engine speed sensors, and goes into limp mode if it isn't.
                                The check is fairly loose though, because the belt can flex.

That's also the reason that the cam sensor is never used for any triggering in ECU's besides determining engine phase.
                                Otherwise your timing would fluctuate as the belt flexes for example. So timing and fueling is based off of engine speed sensor and crankshaft position sensor or off of a 60-2 wheel (in case of VAG cars...).
                                http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Working...
                                X