No announcement yet.

Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keeping a really close eye on this , hoping to go down this route myself in the not to distant future need to finish my kitchen extension first though always thought of the rs2 route myself but i use the car as a daily driver and reading through this and other threads i will probably go down the 2871r as i dont really intend to change the rods i just want a bit more oommph that is bulletproof and reliable,
    good luck with the upgrade. would be interested to see how it works out and as i only live "down the road" will pop up and see you and if you need a helping hand let me know
    ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
    THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Im going down the RS2 route as i have all the bits, how much work is it to change the rods to get the most from the rs2 turbo? Are the rods the only thing you have to change on an ABY?
      3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

Originally posted by vonbeck View Post
        good luck with the upgrade. would be interested to see how it works out and as i only live "down the road" will pop up and see you and if you need a helping hand let me know
        Cheers

Originally posted by stevieyid View Post
        Im going down the RS2 route as i have all the bits, how much work is it to change the rods to get the most from the rs2 turbo? Are the rods the only thing you have to change on an ABY?
        Im still trying to decide what turbo to use after my ebay troubles.. that said the seller is actually a forum member and is being extremely helpful in resolving the issue.

As for changing the rods - id counted on doing a complete engine rebuild at the same time. I dont think you really need to replace anything else in an ABY block, but you may as well replace all the seals, gaskets and bolts etc that you disturb when you open it up.

Id initially counted on £1500 in parts, including rods and balancing, then additional for the remap and approx 40 hours labour.

HTH
        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Looks as though i will be doing that in the future then. £1500 is reasonable to get the extra torque from the turbo, plus having a new rebuilt engine. Thanks for the help
          3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

yeah a pretty worthwhile upgrade if you can do the work yourself.

Comment

Not sure if i would attempt it but i know a few people that could do it for me, although im not sure if i would trust them with my S2 i think i would have to give it to an expert.

Comment

Thats £1500 does it include balancing the crank / rods / pistons / clutch etc as thats near £500 by itself?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                  As for changing the rods - id counted on doing a complete engine rebuild at the same time. I dont think you really need to replace anything else in an ABY block, but you may as well replace all the seals, gaskets and bolts etc that you disturb when you open it up.
                  hehe, that's still a fair bit of parts Andy.

This was the pile of parts i used for my rebuild:

91 S2 coupé - RIP
                  98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Makes me laugh everytime i see that Bo

The calculations ive made are based on a 5-minute phone call with Ross and some "back-of-the-packet" type notes with extremely rough prices.

All-in ive put a clutch, flywheel, engine rebuild with rods, balancing, remap and all labour at approx £4k.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                      Thats £1500 does it include balancing the crank / rods / pistons / clutch etc as thats near £500 by itself?
                      Philip @ Basset Down Balancing did mine for £140; has inflation really set in that badly?!

Calculations are based somewhat on my experience with the 3B, roughly £350 for rods, £150 bearings, £5-700 in bolts, gaskets, studs, belts etc. £150 head gasket kit, £250 engineering fees (head test etc) and about 35 hours labour for the job lot. If you've got Tom doing it that is (and includes engine in/out, brakes and handbrake cables. What a star! )
                      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

lol I factored in block machining in that price forgot to put it in the post, be more like £300 if new pistons aren't need and no rebore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                          All-in ive put a clutch, flywheel, engine rebuild with rods, balancing, remap and all labour at approx £4k.
                          Due to vagparts demise i'd go more towards the 5k mark at present but that will include rods and clutch/lightened flywheel but not the remap.

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                          Philip @ Basset Down Balancing did mine for £140; has inflation really set in that badly?!

Calculations are based somewhat on my experience with the 3B, roughly £350 for rods, £150 bearings, £5-700 in bolts, gaskets, studs, belts etc. £150 head gasket kit, £250 engineering fees (head test etc) and about 35 hours labour for the job lot. If you've got Tom doing it that is (and includes engine in/out, brakes and handbrake cables. What a star! )

Prices everywhere have gone up recently especially in machining work.

Comment

sonic, got an big(!) box now, just need to go to the garage to pick up the maf, so soon i will be att your place

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

I wish I hadn't read this project thread.....

it's all the questions, answers and upgrades I had planned for mine!!!.....but now thats for the future......

Keep the updates coming and I will be watching this thread with great interest...

Comment

The rear 280x22mm coupe brake kit went on today

Turns out i already had the correct callipers with some old-skool 248x12mm solid disc setup on the car, with the calliper pistons wound right out.

We fitted the new carriers, machined discs and pads - leaving on the existing calliper. I guess ive got some brand new callipers for sale now!

The kit really is pretty bolt-on, so a massive to s2central for the work he did to find this out for everyone!

Bring on the fronts as soon as i get the carrier

Comment

Working...
                                X