Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This should be a good one-your car deserves the power to match it's looks
    good luck with the project-all you have to do now is befriend a bank manager
    It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
      before you start anything,let me take you for a ride and ask rob for a ride as well...

when is the next leeds meet? ]
      Cheers Vasilis, you are a gent and a scholar

Ive never been in an RS2 spec car, thinking about it i should have had a passenger ride in Ben's at the ring last Paul, and the only 3071 car ive been in is Ross's old coupe, which was still undergoing its engine run-in when i was in it. RIP.

I'll have to tap up Rob also

Originally posted by add View Post
      This should be a good one-your car deserves the power to match it's looks
      good luck with the project-all you have to do now is befriend a bank manager
      Thats got to go on the "Best and Worst Comments" thread

As for the bank manager... already done
      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Why have you written off the 3071r? Go speak to your brother Ross and look at his dyno plots full boost by 3300rpm!

Your turbo choice should be governed by cost.

If you can afford it 2871r

Lower budget RS2.

I'm off the mind knowing you and the car the 2871r is the one for you.

If your feeling more daring 3071r but don't Roll it like Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
          Ive never been in an RS2 spec car, thinking about it i should have had a passenger ride in Ben's
          If you're coming along in April you're welcome to have a go.

Like Vasilis' my car performs differently to other RS2 spec setups. MattS2 is also running RS2 spec and his performs differently too. It will probably be wise to try a few different setups out to see which you like/prefer and then you can get a feel for what bits you want and what tweaks to do.

Ben
          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

you can have ride, no problem... just need all this salt to go before it ventures out again.
            Rob..
            94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
            87 UR 20v ABY
            97 S6 Avant
            96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
            1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

First stage (~£3400):

Turbo , Wagner EM, RS2 or ebay IC and XM, RS2 airbox, RS2 injectors, Bosch 044 fuel pump, Sachs clutch, generic map, labour
              Hi Andy.
              Don't forget you need a 3 Bar MAP sensor.

You are more than welcome to have a go in my car too.
              I love the torque that the RS2 setup provides, it means that I am usually shifting at 5k rpm and it doesn't feel like i'm thrashing it.

Matt.
              Ex owner of a 1993 Silver Avant - RS2 spec.
              2002 A8 sport 2.8 quattro Sold
              2003 A6 Avant Tdi
              Mk Indy 2.0 pinto circa 160 Bhp
              2004 VW Caddy SDi
              2002 Civic Type R

Comment

Cheers for the offers Vasilis, Ben, Rob and Matt - ill no doubt take each of you up on them

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                Why have you written off the 3071r? Go speak to your brother Ross and look at his dyno plots full boost by 3300rpm!
                Id written off the 3071 after speaking to Ross

He said its a very on-off feeling and although can produce more power than the RS2 route costs a lot more and causes loads of problems you have to get around like raising the engine.

He also said that if you cruise around in traffic at 3-4krpm and the turbo kicks in the guy 10 car's ahead of you would feel the result

Your turbo choice should be governed by cost.

If you can afford it 2871r

Lower budget RS2.
                I like that... my way of thinking. But i cant work out why you've put the 2871 above the RS2. I mean i know it costs more, but i dont see the 2871 as a better option to the RS2.

I'm off the mind knowing you and the car the 2871r is the one for you.

If your feeling more daring 3071r but don't Roll it like Ross
                ... bring on the gt4508r

Originally posted by MattS2 View Post
                Hi Andy.
                Don't forget you need a 3 Bar MAP sensor.
                Duely added

Comment

The 2871 spools the same as a stock K24, can make 400 bhp infact it has made 458 bhp on the forum and crucially it's safer than the RS2 on stock internals.

The RS2 turbo is a beast, I call it the rod widow maker as it can make torque by the bucket load.

IMO I'd rather have the turbo I could run to max potential rather than use the RS2 neutered IF I could afford it. To get the best out the RS2 you need stronger rods.

Both ways have their advantages, I still say it boils down to cost, the RS2 is going to be cheaper.

Comment

Quick update -

Ive opted for the RS2 route for pure torque, whilst leaving the option for a bigger turbo after the engine rebuild if required :mischeif:

I think the RS2 route is the one i really wanted.

The project is now in 2 phases:

Phase 1:

Wagner EM, IC, IM, RS2 airbox, injectors, turbo and exhaust cam, Bosch 044 fuel pump, remap + MAP sensor, front and rear brake upgrades

Phase 2:

Engine rebuild with forged rods, custom remap, clutch, single mass flywheel along with balancing.

Some may have noticed ive also planned few tiny tweaks to my break setup, to be in phase 1. The clutch and FW upgrade has also fallen into phase 2 for balancing purposes, so i guess i'll have to take it easy launching the car until then.

Ive already received or ordered most of the parts for phase 1, with the brakes to be hopefully fitted this weekend

Comment

Another point i forgot to mention... phase 1 is quick turn around, with a planned completion date around the beginning of march.

Comment

You're in danger of having one of the nicest (R)S2s around here Andy
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Quick update -

Ive opted for the RS2 route for pure torque, whilst leaving the option for a bigger turbo after the engine rebuild if required :mischeif:

I think the RS2 route is the one i really wanted.
                          :
                          Hmm.. that old KKK turbo is a dinosaur in my opinion, would much rather go for the 2871, just look at the graphs that Paul just posted for the S4.
                          Check out my attached graph showing the torque curves (torque at the wheels) of a RS2 with a Turbonetics E50 vs a chipped RS2 (and a 4.2L V8 just to illustrate the utter sillyness of natural aspiration)
                          The Netics turbo is on E75 fuel, and that helps spool, but still, this much bigger turbo spools quicker than the remapped RS2. The graphs are generated in 2nd gear. 3rd and 4th gear graphs would show spool approx 1000rpm earlier with higher torque numbers.
                          The chipped RS2 puts down approx 395nm to the wheels in 2nd, white the ADU with E50 puts down 550nm at the wheels (for comparison, the 4.2L V8 puts down approx 290nm at the wheels, it has 400+nm at the flywheel stock). The E50 graph was generated when the car was running too rich, it has now gotten rid of the hesitation, and boosts sooner, without hesitation and with even more torque.
                          Another key point here is that both RS2's are on stock bottom ends, even though the E50 one probably develops somewhere in the 670-700nm range at the flywheel. It pulls more than twice as much G force as the V8 powered S6+ (0.84G vs 0.39G)
                          Clean combustion will not bend rods. Detonation, which increases cylinder pressures 10x can easily bend rods. By tuning for max torque, heat is increased through cylinder pressure and timing and we get much closer to the knock limit. A tank of crap fuel can then tip us over, but it is not the torque itself. The lower the rpm, the more time for each knock event to occur, and in addition, the counter force from piston inertia is much lower (force increases exponentially with rpm), meaning that the risk of knock induced damage is much higher at low rpm.

Attached graph shows torque at the wheels:
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by EspenW; 2 February 2009, 21:12.
                          1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                          1994 80E Avant
                          1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

sonic, do you have the rs2 maf, i have one working lying that i could throw in the package??

(i have bought vems so not necessary for me)

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Originally posted by EspenW View Post
                              Hmm.. that old KKK turbo is a dinosaur in my opinion, would much rather go for the 2871, just look at the graphs that Paul just posted for the S4.
                              Check out my attached graph showing the torque curves (torque at the wheels) of a RS2 with a Turbonetics E50 vs a chipped RS2 (and a 4.2L V8 just to illustrate the utter sillyness of natural aspiration)
                              Cheers Espen - after this evening and seeing Paul's results im seriously considering the 2871. Is the 2871R .63r such as this one from 034 right?

Originally posted by lind4hl View Post
                              sonic, do you have the rs2 maf, i have one working lying that i could throw in the package??

(i have bought vems so not necessary for me)
                              Cheers mate, that would be very much appreciated

So a few pics of parts so far collected:

This arrived today

Bosch green tops refurbed

Front brake upgrade

Just to give you an idea how frickin huge these things are:

Rear brakes:

You dont see these new very often:

And then the fun with the turbo starts, already onto the ebay seller:

Comment

Those brakes!
                                Let me guess,no mention of cracks when it was on the bay-unlucky
                                It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Comment

Working...
                                X