Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another weekend... another batch of upgrades

Today the front brake upgrade, RS2 airbox and MAF went on.

The brake kit went on in just under 2 relaxed hours, which has to be some kind of record for doing anything on an S2! Everything is completely bolt-on with no modification required at all, and the 1-piece carriers are a real work of art

The ABY airbox and MAF were removed pretty quickly with a couple of pieces being re-used with the RS2 airbox and MAF, id say replacing this took about an hour.

I can do write up's for the rear brake upgrade, front brake upgrade and airbox replacement if anyone wants - i made sure i got plenty of pics!

Initial thoughts from the 20 mile drive home -

WOOOOW - why the heck hadn't i upgraded the airbox before?!?! What a difference, the car feels as if it can breath properly, not that it didnt before, but its such a noticeable change. Whether my MAF could have been a bit dodgy before i dont know, i guess this could have amplified the difference.

Any element of lag that the k24 has seems to have been completely removed, and the only other thing i can compare it to is going from a stock exhaust to my turbo-back milltek. Its THAT big of a difference!

As for the brakes, obviously i was taking it easy as they need to bed in. I was a little worried that, having got what i thought was the perfect setup with the rear brake upgrade, i was going to mess up the balance again by upgrading the fronts further. This doesnt seem the case at all, and whilst there is certainly a lot more braking force upfront it doesnt feel unbalanced.

The only other thing that stood out was the pedal travel. In comparison with the 996's on before it felt as if i had to really push the pedal down to apply the same braking force, which caught me out coming to a junction! But after a couple of minutes removing the initial disc surface things settled down, and i realised that infact the car was slowing down as quickly as it was before with the same pedal force applied, the pedal just isnt as firm.

I cant wait to use more than 20% braking force when they're bedded in

First off, this was parked up in the 'hospital corner' of the workshop under dust sheets. Bonus points to anyone who can tell me what it is

A few pics from last week's rear upgrade:

Airbox / MAF (Cheers Alex )

S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

looking good mate the package was not broken or anything?

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Front brakes:

Yes - they really are THAT big!

Comment

Smoked side repeaters.. come on man get it sorted!
          1994 Audi S2 Avant - in pieces
          2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi - goes fast
          1985 Audi 90 quattro - is wet

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by shark_90 View Post
            No! Clear

Cheers,

Steve.
            The Perfectionist
            sigpic
            Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

NICE Brake upgrade Andy!

Your car is going to be lovely when its finished.

Cheers,

Steve.
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by lind4hl View Post
                looking good mate the package was not broken or anything?
                Yeah absolutely spot on - good call with the tube around the cam

Originally posted by shark_90 View Post
                Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                No! Clear
                I spent a couple of grand on new brakes and you have a go about the side repeaters!!

Ordered... as per your post a while back Steve, along with the chromium bulbs

http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/buy-...ear-p-886.html
                http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/buy-...ck-p-8739.html

Comment

Nice one Sonic, those RS brakes look like the bizniz! The RS2 airbox makes a big difference eh? I noticed it right away, I remember mentioning it to Mihnea and he was quite surprised it was so noticable.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Sweet! 7075 is supposed to be very well resistant against weather and wind but it might not be a bad idea to but some paint on the brackets or anodize them. =)
                    /NEO - I have a sexual thing for big brakes.
                    www.irry.com | Irry got a face lift!
                    #nordicaudi @ irc.nordicaudi.com

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                      Nice one Sonic, those RS brakes look like the bizniz! The RS2 airbox makes a big difference eh? I noticed it right away, I remember mentioning it to Mihnea and he was quite surprised it was so noticable.
                      I am surprised too, but then look at the difference between the intake trumpets and it makes sense I guess.
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic

Comment

Good work Andy!

Hope the brakes bedded in well.
                        91 S2 coupé - RIP
                        98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Nice, i would recommend you anodise the brackets though.

Comment

Originally posted by martinjs View Post
                            Nice, i would recommend you anodise the brackets though.
                            Cheers

Is this easy to do, im guessing just find someone local?

Comment

Nice work Mr Sonic.

Is that a 1974 Ferrari Dino 246GT I see in the workshop?
                              SS

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                                Cheers

Is this easy to do, im guessing just find someone local?
                                It's easy for someone who works with it. SHouldn't cost many quids. Just make sure that the process they use is ok for 7075 alu.
                                /NEO - I have a sexual thing for big brakes.
                                www.irry.com | Irry got a face lift!
                                #nordicaudi @ irc.nordicaudi.com

Comment

Working...
                                X