Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice.

Spent some time eyeballing the boost gauge and looks like the boost problem is finally solved.
    And since it's still in one piece after being constantly hammered over 2 bar means the map turned out quite well also
    http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Yep the old girl done good

The temperature over there was real hot, like 32c, which meant at points I couldn't do more than a few fast laps without causing the oil temps to hit almost 150, and that's with a decent Setrab cooler!

She didn't seem to like idling much or cruising at low rpm, misfiring like a bitch, but was absolutely fine on boost. On a couple of occasions she wouldn't start without lots of throttle, but I assumed this could be put down to having been thrashed hard, the very high temps and perhaps the 98ron fuel I was using not having any vpower99 or tesco99 we have over here and which she was mapped on.
      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
        Yep the old girl done good

The temperature over there was real hot, like 32c, which meant at points I couldn't do more than a few fast laps without causing the oil temps to hit almost 150, and that's with a decent Setrab cooler!

She didn't seem to like idling much or cruising at low rpm, misfiring like a bitch, but was absolutely fine on boost. On a couple of occasions she wouldn't start without lots of throttle, but I assumed this could be put down to having been thrashed hard, the very high temps and perhaps the 98ron fuel I was using not having any vpower99 or tesco99 we have over here and which she was mapped on.
        98ron is the same as the 99vpower that recently came in the UK. It shouldn't be a fuel problem. I wonder why it wouldn't idle that much.

Andy have you considered using a lower temp thermostat and fan switch since you are using the car on track days? Keeping the engine cooler would also mean that the oil temp would take longer to overheat

Comment

• Odd, I wonder why it misfired.
          Maybe the coils showing their age?

Comment

• Originally posted by prj View Post
            Odd, I wonder why it misfired.
            It seems much better now I'm home. The coil mod was only installed 9 months who.
            S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Originally posted by prj View Post
              Odd, I wonder why it misfired.
              But he said it misfired on idle and low rev. Ok on boost. If it were coils it would have been worse on boost,right?

Comment

• Maybe sticky tappet? I've had this when the oil level drops a bit after some thrashing.
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                  But he said it misfired on idle and low rev. Ok on boost. If it were coils it would have been worse on boost,right?
                  Seen everything with coils and spark plugs now.
                  I forgot that the coils were converted - yes most likely not the coils then.

No idea why it would misfire on idle and low rev, as ECU is in closed loop and it can't really be fueling related.

Comment

• Lean misfire due to injector heat soak after thrashing

Comment

• Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
                      Lean misfire due to injector heat soak after thrashing
                      That could be a problem as I had seen and experienced the Wagner IM being very hot sometimes which is why I use the phenolic spacer. Have you had that on Andy?

Then again lamda should be ablenyo overcome that problem as its in closed loop

Comment

• Yeah, I would say injectors getting hot. The UR has a fan for this

A few laps of Spa is a lot of hard driving!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Put in some ducting to stop this?
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                            Put in some ducting to stop this?
                            No,heat is coming from the head.

Running vems I have noticed something interesting which may be related.
                            On idle as the IAT becomes warmer, the mixture becomes leaner. Sure the lamda corrects it but it seems as if the hotter it goes the more wide you need to have the lamda to correct this and obviously having the fan kicking in as well as as other electrical stuff makes the idle a bit jumpy.

This was cured with the implementation of a second fueling table which was fuel vs IAT vs TPS and it acts in conjunction to the basic fueling map. It helps keep the lamda having to make small corrections as there is a dedicated line to idle.

Of course motronic must have something similar but I suppose it has to do with the extremes of being in the track etc
                            Last edited by A80Avant; 22 June 2013, 16:27.

Comment

• Some ducting won't stop the heat soak in slow moving traffic I guess That's where the little fan comes in. Maybe get one of those electric supercharger things and duct some air to the injectors that way.

How thick is the Phenolic spacer? Does it cause any issues with the TB hose on a stock IM?
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                                Some ducting won't stop the heat soak in slow moving traffic I guess That's where the little fan comes in. Maybe get one of those electric supercharger things and duct some air to the injectors that way.

How thick is the Phenolic spacer? Does it cause any issues with the TB hose on a stock IM?
                                Hmmm. Not sure. But I would assume you could make the holes of the metal hose a bit oval and allow for it to compensate for the elevation.

Comment

Working...
                                X