Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post
    150 sounds very high. Even in 30deg heat, mine hit 130 on stock cooler, 135 max.
    Yeah i backed off immediately when I noticed.

Could this have been partly caused by the front wheel arch liners having been removed along with the undertray, causing the airflow and cooling to be significantly reduced?
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
      Yeah i backed off immediately when I noticed.

Could this have been partly caused by the front wheel arch liners having been removed along with the undertray, causing the airflow and cooling to be significantly reduced?
      Mine's in the same state. What water temp dud you see?
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Also very like, probably about 120
        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Get the thermostat mod done

Comment

• Would it not run cooler on the track by removing it completely - on a temporary basis...the thermostat is a 'restriction' in the system...just a suggestion.

Comment

• You can't remove the stat completely.
              SS

Comment

• Mine did this when the HG was weak... Also worth checking the coolant system is well bled.

In a 30deg heat track day last year, oil 135 max on stock cooler, water 90+3 max.
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Read above guys. By thermostat mod I don't mean to remove it.but use the 80C one instead of the 90+C that audi specifies. Comes off a vw van which was produced to be sold in Africa. I ha e always used that since the upgrades.

Comment

• I could understand if it was a trackday at Haynes. But looking at the videos, there were some good speeds involved, so plenty of moving and cooling air, even if it was a tad warm. Things could've been hotter, like it was further South in the week.
                    Something doesn't seem quite right.
                    SS

Comment

• Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
                      Lean misfire due to injector heat soak after thrashing
                      O2 should correct it. But yes, this can be the case if the fuel has gotten very hot.

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                      No,heat is coming from the head.

Running vems I have noticed something interesting which may be related.
                      On idle as the IAT becomes warmer, the mixture becomes leaner. Sure the lamda corrects it but it seems as if the hotter it goes the more wide you need to have the lamda to correct this and obviously having the fan kicking in as well as as other electrical stuff makes the idle a bit jumpy.

This was cured with the implementation of a second fueling table which was fuel vs IAT vs TPS and it acts in conjunction to the basic fueling map. It helps keep the lamda having to make small corrections as there is a dedicated line to idle.

Of course motronic must have something similar but I suppose it has to do with the extremes of being in the track etc
                      This problem does not exist on Motronic due to use of a MAF, as it's measuring airflow, not guessing it.
                      And on MAFless I have a table to correct for this.
                      http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• gotcha

Comment

• Do not remove the stat completely. Just cut out the centre part and reinstall to ensure proper coolant circulation.
                          The coolest stat I have found to fit is a 74 degC from 1990's Land Rover 110 TDi.

Comment

• Installing a cooler stat will result in constant fuel enrichment, horrible fuel economy, and reduced power.
                            http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Originally posted by prj View Post
                              Installing a cooler stat will result in constant fuel enrichment, horrible fuel economy, and reduced power.
                              And increased engine wear, due to the above.

Comment

• Originally posted by prj View Post
                                Installing a cooler stat will result in constant fuel enrichment, horrible fuel economy, and reduced power.
                                What if you tune the car with the above in place? Why would it become enriched all the time?

Comment

Working...
                                X