Clear All

• http://www.speedlinecorse.co.uk/
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Awesome set of wheels. Look great.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
      RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

• The wheels are fitted with the 235/40 tyres but im told they are extremely close to the steering arm and want 3-5mm spacers, the only problem here is it's going to scrub the arches more.

A few other things that VRS are fixing now, like my seat frame which is bent, new track rod ends, wheel bolts, front discs and pads, rear pads and a few other bits and bobs.

I just hope the wheels fit properly with the tyres and dont scrub or touch anything for Spa on Monday!!

Comment

• So 235/40/18 is not a good combo!

The tyre sidewalls bulge out a a little, rather than being flat like 225/40/18 which means the fronts are uncomfortably close to track rod ends.

5mm spacers sorted this (3mm would have been ok but we couldn't get hold of any at such short notice), however the tapered edge of the spigot rings now meant they didn't fit onto the hub properly.

Will sanded down the rings to make a flat edge which meant they fitted correctly however the tyres were going to scrub the arches big time.

Arches flared and wheel liners removed which just about gives you breathing room, but now the stock bolts don't fit

As it turns out, it's not that easy to get hold of longer bolts. Luckily we managed to find some in Kettering, so got those and went home to fit them. The only issue is they were 50mm which seemed far to long, stock is 27mm.

It then turns out my neighbour has the most kick-*** workshop i've seen in his garage, so we cut the bolts down to 35mm on the lathe and all good with the fitting of the wheels.

With the arches flared the top corner of the RS2 bumper was exposed and on one side the tyre had caught it snapped it off leaving s sharp edge. It pained me to do so, but resorted to sanding down the edge of the bumper by 1/2" to stop it from protruding and ensure its not going to catch the tyre.

What a weekend! Knock-on effect after knock-on just made it a nightmare, and all of this could have been avoided by getting 225/40/18 tyres. Lesson learned.

That said, the new alloys do look very nice on the car, and the rounded tyre look very rallyesque

Spigot rings being a problem:

Bolts cut down to 35mm:

Before:

After sanding :

Looking good with those new rims:

Comment

• They do look very nice. You need to sort this rubbing though..

Comment

• Should've stuck with 225s.
              SS

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                They do look very nice. You need to sort this rubbing though..
                Given the spacers, flared arches and sanded bumper rubbing should not be an issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                  Should've stuck with 225s.
                  Don't get me started...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                    Don't get me started...
                    Yes andy and michelins are on sale for 105ÂŁ a corner...!

Comment

• Did you get your spigot ring problem sorted? Could do with getting some for mine and thickness of brake bells doesn't leave much for wheel to seat on
                      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Yes Will cut then back so that they fitted perfectly even with the spacer.

Comment

• It certainly pays to have someone doing the work who can sort all the problems in-house! For all the pain, it looks really good with the flared arches and now you've an excuse to get a respray
                          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• I ran 235/40-18 Eagle Asymmetrics on 8.5Js on my coupe with no issues, just 5mm spacers on front to clear track rod ends, . My car is not lowered though and different tyres are different widths for the same numbers, those look like they have a big shoulder..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

• you have all the luck with your motor andy

It seems that those tyres must have a really wide shoulder as I tried a 235/40 on mine with loads of room to spare, also squeezed a 255/35 on which fitted (just) on an 8.5 ET32. Still you needed an excuse to get the wings resprayed right?

Enjoy your trip mate
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Awesome time at Spa on Tuesday... will definitely be doing that again!!

The biggest problem was the rear arches, especially when heavily laden on the trip over. You couldn't even fit your little finger between the edge of the tyre and the arch!

A lap of the ring seemed to "mould" them more into the correct shape and a marshal seemed interested in the white powder around the outside of the tyre when i returned

Unfortunately i only got 1 lap of the ring before it closed for the evening

http://youtu.be/RP6JQFPKE-Q - Interior camera for a few laps of Spa
                                http://youtu.be/QAXmItcCY5I - Rear facing camera tracking a friends R26.R following me around Spa
                                http://youtu.be/2g-n1XB4ueQ - Rear facing for a few laps in the afternoon, featuring a 997 GT3 that eventually let me past
                                http://youtu.be/1PdyNn9zOlg - Some solo laps at the end of the day where i was focussing on Eau Rouge and Blanchimont

Comment

Working...
                                X