No announcement yet.

Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had similar issues with my 3b engine too...
    And as Andy has,I also had dhalback adjustable cam pulley....
    RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
    BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
    LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

• Good job solving the problems!

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
        Good detective work guys, and a good result. Andy you must be pleased with it now?
        Yes, it's epic

Dmitri gave the car a quick check over as he said along with making a few tweaks to extract everything out of the car with his more advanced logging system and what with the wastegate and coil conversion changes.

The car is just brutal, as the DB9 on the way home found out

This is the first time i've had the car to the spec i want it, with no problems, all working perfectly, so i'm over the moon with it

This year i aim to use and enjoy the car as much as possible - i have a long weekend in Wales planned along with a ring/spa trip in April.

After this there are a few other mods i'll consider such as single-mass flywheel conversion and poly-bushes, but the key focus will be on sorting the exterior, which i've been meaning to do for years but always had mechanical issues with a higher priority sapping time and funds.

Hopefully next winter i can get the whole car repainted, funds allowing...

Never-ending
        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Excellent news.

Interesting about the hall sender window, as I have a homemade hall sender bracket. I found it hard to believe that its position didn't need to be that accurate for ABY/AAN/ADU use, after being used to a 3B, where the hall sender position has to be spot on.
          SS

Comment

• Good news Andy. Finally enjoy the car and have it painted as well. God I remember you wanting to do that since the first ever harrogate meet!

Comment

• Great news Andy! Looking forward to some vids now!
              91 S2 coupé - RIP
              98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                Excellent news.

Interesting about the hall sender window, as I have a homemade hall sender bracket. I found it hard to believe that its position didn't need to be that accurate for ABY/AAN/ADU use, after being used to a 3B, where the hall sender position has to be spot on.
                Yes it was right on the edge, hence why it was causing the issue on belt-flap during gear change and at no other point.

We had an ABY cam pulley handy to line up the adjustable i have on the car, but doing this (turning it back by about a tooth to match ABY) made the car run considerably worse and wouldn't make boost... so not having an RS2 pully handy meant trial and error to work out where it was meant to be.

JP adjusted the cam the other way (so ABY position + about 10 degrees IIRC) and it just instantly worked as it should

Glad this has been worked out anyway, because it's been the cause of no end of trouble trying to work out how to correctly line up an RS2 exhaust cam with adjustable pulley on an ABY. There was another chap in the garage who was glad we'd worked it out, as he'd end up with the same scenario on his build eventually.

Needless to say JP is your man with the knowledge if anybody else has the same problem

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
                Good news Andy. Finally enjoy the car and have it painted as well. God I remember you wanting to do that since the first ever harrogate meet!
                Yeah, it's been a long while in the running like so many other projects on here!

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
                Great news Andy! Looking forward to some vids now!

Comment

• See if you had a good old 3B and a distributor mounted hall sender, you wouldn't have had this odd boost problem.

That's why I have both on mine, for when I make the switch. Another deliberate mistake I have made with my project.
                  SS

Comment

• Congratulations Andy
                    I've been reading this thread with much interest.
                    It seemed to me in general, that upgrading beyond RS2 spec introduced levels of unreliability.
                    It's good to see it running right.

Looks like I need to start saving again

Matt
                    Ex owner of a 1993 Silver Avant - RS2 spec.
                    2002 A8 sport 2.8 quattro Sold
                    2003 A6 Avant Tdi
                    Mk Indy 2.0 pinto circa 160 Bhp
                    2004 VW Caddy SDi
                    2002 Civic Type R

Comment

• Cheers Matt, i think i'll read through the entire thread again just out of respect for those that have bothered

Originally posted by MattS2 View Post
                      It seemed to me in general, that upgrading beyond RS2 spec introduced levels of unreliability.
                      And ironically because i've tried to add some form of reliability to the car by making it all bullet-proof at 500bhp! There is always some additional mod that needs doing, and being inexperienced things which i didn't think of before-hand, or something that needs doing as a result of the car being 18 years old and pushing as much power through it as i have.

I think i've achieved it, but at some cost...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post

How much?

Stock -> RS2+ cost me about £2.5k
                        2003 A6 Avant Tdi
                        2004 VW Caddy SDi
                        2002 Civic Type R

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                          Cheers Matt, i think i'll read through the entire thread again just out of respect for those that have bothered

And ironically because i've tried to add some form of reliability to the car by making it all bullet-proof at 500bhp! There is always some additional mod that needs doing, and being inexperienced things which i didn't think of before-hand, or something that needs doing as a result of the car being 18 years old and pushing as much power through it as i have.

awesome car!!! wish I had time to go for a spin in it youll have take me out next time your up my neck of the woods mate
                          '83 URQ - Full 20V Conversion - Pearl White
                          '85 URQ - 20V Conversion - White
                          '88 URQ - Nile Green - SOLD
                          '95 RS2 - Ragussa Green
                          '95 S2/RS2 Coupe - Blue
                          '00 B5 RS4 - White - SOLD
                          '01 B5 RS4 - Black

Comment

• Originally posted by MattS2 View Post
                            How much?

You can't ask questions like that. Beyond RS2 no one adds up the bills, surely? I stopped adding up my project bills after £20k, and I have an old shed on the driveway.
                            SS

Comment

• Originally posted by MattS2 View Post
                              How much?

Multiply that by at least ten...

Glad to see you with a smile on your face Andy. (Well I can imagine the smug grin at WOT anyway)

Cheers,

Steve
                              The Perfectionist
                              sigpic
                              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                                You can't ask questions like that. Beyond RS2 no one adds up the bills, surely? I stopped adding up my project bills after £20k, and I have an old shed on the driveway.
                                Surely it's good to know what you could have bought for the same money?

I could have bought a genuine RS2 for what I've spent upgrading mine.
                                2003 A6 Avant Tdi
                                2004 VW Caddy SDi
                                2002 Civic Type R

Comment

Working...
                                X