No announcement yet.

Project: RS2 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i do, but you need to hurry as its in Brian's pile of stuff that will go on a pallet back in Greece.

Speak to him. Its in one of the tall rectangular boxes, and im happy to lend it to you for your checks.

Comment

• What flywheel are you running Sonic?

I only have an AAN manual; the RS2 manuals only cover running gear
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• RS2 cam timing, it's not in the manual should half a tooth to the left
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
          i do, but you need to hurry as its in Brian's pile of stuff that will go on a pallet back in Greece.

Speak to him. Its in one of the tall rectangular boxes, and im happy to lend it to you for your checks.
          Cheers Vasilis

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          What flywheel are you running Sonic?

I only have an AAN manual; the RS2 manuals only cover running gear
          Am running DM ABY.

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
          RS2 cam timing, it's not in the manual should half a tooth to the left
          S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Cool, didn't know if it was an aftermarket one. Well worth checking that the pins aren't bent and that the marks are all where they should be at TDC
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• Am i right in thinking to time ABY inlet with ADU exhaust cams and the adjustable cam pulley you would time it up with marks as expected, then retard it by 10 degrees to get the cams in the right place? That's the only way i can understand this.

Comment

• Partly you would need a dial gauge to check the timing is correct the marks on the wheel are not accurate

Comment

• Timing off the cambelt is via a chain from the exhaust cam. You set the timing so that the 2 chain 'cogs' have the indents next to each other and then move the ADU cambelt pulley as per Jamo's picture above and the inlet is take care of. If it's all adjustable then you need to set it off a stock 'cog' and set it all as stock, before doing any adjustment.

Best thing to do would be to remove the cam cover, set it to TDC and take lots of pictures.

I also think a stock ADU cambelt pulley is worth getting to set the vernier pulley up correctly for stock timing.

Here's how it all looks (taken from Thuppu's thread here) -

Single post by Jamo - http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=671

Using a Golf 16v to illustrate the indents of the internal cam cogs -

As above, if it's all adjustable, then you will need to make sure that it's all at factory settings to get a baseline before adjusting to suit.

I hope that's of some help.
                  Last edited by Rusty; 12 December 2011, 15:09.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• Absolutely - i dont think something is quite right as it is, and im relaying lots of information which im trying to understand

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    I also think a stock ADU cambelt pulley is worth getting to set the vernier pulley up correctly for stock timing.
                    This is plan A.

Comment

• Is it just the vernier that's not stock or do you have adjustable cam chain gears too?
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• Just the vernier.

Comment

• That's good for troubleshooting then.

ABY and ADU inlet cams have the same part number on the family album - 034 109 021 AN
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• Have just seen the additional photos in that previous post Andy - thanks

Comment

• Yeah, hopefully you'll get it all sorted soon enough
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• Update after christmas/new year whilst the car has been sat on the drive -

I've got it booked into MRC next Monday so given the info that i've got so far, im hoping Doug can work some of his magic and get the thing running correctly.

Time will tell, but i remain hopeful

Comment

Working...
                                X