• Show
Clear All

• Keep the faith bruv
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
      Not the FPR.

Trying injector/ecu swap tomorrow with Ross, if that doesn't work... I'll be thinking about selling it.
      Good luck, keep us posted

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

• Have you checked to see if the cat has disintegrated or if the exhaust is blocked?
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• have you smoke tested it? you might have a really awkward leak like Djones had
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Will20v in northampton can smoke test I believe

Comment

• It held lots of pressure with TB not blocked at MRC though...
              http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• compression / leakdown test all ok too?
                Has the fuel pressure & injector flow & spray pattern been tested & ok?
                Was it an OE inlet manifold gasket? Are you sure that is not fouling the injector spray in any way? I have seen that before (not I5 mind you)
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Injectors are brad new, have not seen bad EV14's out of the box yet.
                  Spray pattern issues would cause lean, not rich mixture...

Comment

• if the spray path was obstructed you would not get a complete burn causing a rich reading though right?
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      if the spray path was obstructed you would not get a complete burn causing a rich reading though right?
                      Lean, not rich. The UEGO sensor measures oxygen content in the exhaust, that's why a misfire is lean as well.

Comment

• Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                          Not the FPR.

Trying injector/ecu swap tomorrow with Ross, if that doesn't work... I'll be thinking about selling it.
                          Any more news?

Don't even think about selling it, the problem will be something simple, finding it will be difficult but not impossible. I went through all this with mine and it tested my patience and bank balance to the limit! But now, every time I drive it I'm glad I stuck with it and saw it through
                          sigpic
                          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• We did make some progress, and I think it's given Andy a bit of hope to hang on to this a bit longer. Can understand you get a point where you need to cut losses though...

So. Just for fun, we tried a few easy bits - FPR, TPS, WGFV, IM temp sensor. All swapped and no change. We also unplugged the MFTS to check that wasn't holding back boost.

Next we swapped the ECU. Immediate difference was how well it ran on idle and warm-up. Went out for a drive, peak boost was exactly the same (~1.3bar). We weren't planning on any WOT as my timing and boost is higher (i am running 8.5:1 compression vs stock on Andy's car)... however, with boost so low we did a few pulls to check fuelling.

With the fuelling we saw a huge improvement, even with the 4bar FPR (my map is with the stock RS2 3.8bar FPR). What we found:

Idle / cruising = 14.7 (same)
                            High throttle - off/low boost = 13.3-14.0 (vs 10.6-12.0)
                            WOT - on boost = 11.2-11.6 (vs 9.6)

If we'd fitted the 3.8 FPR I would expected about 14.7 / 13.8 / 11.5 in those scenario's which is spot on with my car. I think it's very likely Andy's injectors have the same spec as mine (550 vs 510). AFRs being fine with my ECU could be because the lower injector duty cancels out a continued loss of metered air, but it seems a bit convenient.

So where to go next... if injector sizing is the issue, as the test suggests, I can only think it must be the Wastegate. It would makes sense, seeing as with my ECU Andy's car was flying even at 1.3bar. The hesitation was gone and boost held to about 5k, then started to bleed off just as it should, albeing about .7bar down on what the ECU was requesting. I though it was odd peak boost was the same on either ECU even though mine requests 0.25bar more. Interestingly, Andy was having issues with the car prior this work where it was only making 1.1-1.3bar on a V-stream homefry that used to see him 1.4bar whatever the weather.

Is there any way to effectively 'force shut' the WG just to see if the damn thing will boost? Dmitri - I'm sure you did something like this with tommy's car to rule out the turbo? Swapping for a good stock WG seems worth a try before giving up.

Any thought welcome. Not giving up yet, Andy has seen the car can fly when fuelling is OK (and a bit more advance). It felt like it gained 50-60hp with the ECU swap and wanted more, rather than always holding back and hesitating.
                            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• Good too see your making progress hope you get to the bottom of this and that it doesn't get sold, would be a real shame considering the work that has gone into it!
                              96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                              96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ross View Post
                                Next we swapped the ECU. Immediate difference was how well it ran on idle and warm-up. Went out for a drive, peak boost was exactly the same (~1.3bar). We weren't planning on any WOT as my timing and boost is higher (i am running 8.5:1 compression vs stock on Andy's car)... however, with boost so low we did a few pulls to check fuelling.

With the fuelling we saw a huge improvement, even with the 4bar FPR (my map is with the stock RS2 3.8bar FPR). What we found:

Idle / cruising = 14.7 (same)
                                High throttle - off/low boost = 13.3-14.0 (vs 10.6-12.0)
                                WOT - on boost = 11.2-11.6 (vs 9.6)
                                Still way too rich at 1.3 bar boost. You should have 12.5 there. And with your ECU it should be closer to 13.
                                If we'd fitted the 3.8 FPR I would expected about 14.7 / 13.8 / 11.5 in those scenario's which is spot on with my car. I think it's very likely Andy's injectors have the same spec as mine (550 vs 510).
                                No they don't. I ordered ten injectors, picked 5 from them and sent to him. The other 5 went onto a car, where they flowed exactly 510cc.
                                AFRs being fine with my ECU could be because the lower injector duty cancels out a continued loss of metered air, but it seems a bit convenient.
                                That's exactly the problem.

Please don't assume all kind of things.
                                The car is still running pig rich.

Swap over your injectors as well and see what happens, he'll be back down to 10 - 10.5 far on your ECU.

Everything is exactly as it was before, you just put an ECU in with loads more timing (that's why the car feels better) and that is calibrated for bigger injectors than his.

I am really surprised that you guys can't find a boost leak in the UK. I am still 99% sure that is what is wrong with this car.
                                That, or the cams are set up wrong.

There is nothing else that will cause this.

EDIT:
                                Edited the post, because I confused you and Andy.
                                Last edited by prj; 29 January 2012, 14:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X