Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

• Nice one Chris..
        Stuart
        B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

• JOGI'S NEW PROJECT- 2018 VERSION

Well, it appears I don't have a lot of luck with this car.
          I noticed some oil on my garage floor. A search to see where it was coming from revealed a build up in the air filter.
          I took the car to the mechanic for a more thorough investigation. The camera showed some damage to the bore on cylinder 5.

" alt="" data-fullsize-url="https://www.s2forum.com/" data-thumb-url="https://www.s2forum.com/" data-title="Click on the image to see the original version" data-caption="" class="bbcode-attachment thumbnail js-lightbox bbcode-attachment--lightbox" />

So a familiar sight. Engine out.
          A closer inspection confirmed the bore damage.

Just what has caused this damage is unknown, but most likely cause is moisture getting in. Just how and why is a mystery.
          So a rebore and new pistons have been ordered, Due to this, the opportunity to raise CR from 7:1 to 8.5:1 will be taken.
          Inspecting the engine further revealed the conrods have been subjected to high heat levels.

New rods and cam sprocket have also been purchased as a precaution. The relevant parts have been sent off for balancing.

A new turbo will also be purchased soon, Not quite sure what turbo yet but looking for something for much earlier spool (currently about 2700rpm) than my T61.
          MD357 to hopefully get similar performance to Darren Jones' quattro.

Will update in the new year when balancing is completed and I have more information.
          Last edited by jogi730; 27 February 2018, 01:04.
          Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• MD357 looks like a very good turbo choice no these. Any idea why the rods have got so hot? Good luck getting it sorted.
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Is the cylinder wall cracked and water coming through ?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

• I don't think so. All is obviously being checked out properly though. The crank is getting a regrind while all the parts are being balanced.
                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• What was the bearing clearance like?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

• Now you're asking?
                    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                      MD357 looks like a very good turbo choice no these. Any idea why the rods have got so hot? Good luck getting it sorted.
                      Of that there is no doubt considering the results got out of the quattro.
                      Apart from a later version, there is a Borg Warner turbo that is being looked into as well
                      Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Engine build update
                        Some progress to report at last.
                        Following the findings when the engine was stripped down, there was no choice but to go for re-build number 798 (it certainly feels something like that).
                        Went for FCP rifle drilled rods and these arrived very quickly. The Mahle pistons proved a whole lot more problematic. Most usual suppliers were out of stock. I did find a place in Germany, but of course they would only post to Germany or Austria. Got them through my friends German cousin in the end - good price too.

Once these parts arrived, it was off to machine shop to have block re-bored, and all other parts lightened and balanced. Here , there was another hold up. Apparently, my crank was so far out that the engineers thought their machine was malfunctioning. They ended up sending it somewhere else to verify the results. This caused quite a hold up and resulted in any further work being cancelled until the beginning of the year.

All done now and back at the workshop. Other engine parts cleaned up and painted in preparation for being put back together.

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                        20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• The head already previously worked on . Needed a couple of repairs and the exhaust valves changing but very happy at the standard of work (old graph showing results).

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• This little baby arrived. Was a choice between this and a Borg Warner, but opted for the Garrett 3071 Gen2 based turbo in .63 trim. This is an MD357 update as I understand it.

Waiting for a few more parts and will have some water and oil pipes for the turbo made up to complete rebuild before engine goes back in the car.
                            Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                            20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Where you get so much patience?

Comment

• Originally posted by valukonis View Post
                                Where you get so much patience?
                                Ebay.... where else

As I am sure you appreciate, when these 'S' cars are working properly, the joy they can bring is hard to describe.
                                I just hope this will be the last time it needs doing.
                                Last edited by jogi730; 28 February 2018, 15:32.
                                Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                                20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X