No announcement yet.

sjw185 aby to rs2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started removing rear subframe this week and sent it for blasting.
    Diff mounts were totally shot needed to grind the bolts off the subframe.
    Was thinking about removing the rear diff also to change the oil and clean up but decided to just get the subframe done so I can get it back on the road ASAP.
    Found one of the Diff mounts was busted maybe due to the shocking state of the mounts

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      Jaysus! That's one rusty rear end!

What route are you taking to get 450? Garrett, Holset, KKK?
      Yea its bad never seen its equal

Been looking at them all and finding it difficult to decide which to choose.
      Mapping is the biggest problem being this far north.

cheers

Steve

Comment

• Garage looking good Steve nice to see you getting a start on the S2 will come over for a visit when I'm back onshore
        95 Coupe Kingfisher ABY

Comment

• Originally posted by as2q View Post
          Garage looking good Steve nice to see you getting a start on the S2 will come over for a visit when I'm back onshore
          Thanks Martin, Will have to have a S2 garage meet to celebrate the finished garage

Comment

• Glad to see you are keeping it.

Nice to have some garage space for the refurb.

Are you selling rs2 spec parts?
            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Jesus that is one rusty subframe - I bet you could stick your finger through it & I'd be surprised if it is salvageable.
              Looks like its not been touched in 15 years though so I should drive like a different car with all new rear bushes etc

Have you supported the rear end on the diff? I'd use the jacking points if I was you
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                Jesus that is one rusty subframe - I bet you could stick your finger through it & I'd be surprised if it is salvageable.
                Looks like its not been touched in 15 years though so I should drive like a different car with all new rear bushes etc

Have you supported the rear end on the diff? I'd use the jacking points if I was you
                Its not as bad as it look It has original paint on the top and all the mounting points are good.
                Getting it blasted so i will see how it comes up?
                Looks like the car is supported by the rear diff right enough

Comment

• Still see some original paint on the topside, subframe bushes look ok expected them to be much worse.

Comment

• I'd get a flat blade screwdriver and have a good poke about - they normally go first at the base of the rear diff mount.
                    Waste of money getting it blasted if its rotten or so thin that its weak
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• You right thats the worst bit below the diff mount.
                      Its still thick enough to not be deformed by bashing it with a hammer.
                      Was thinking I have a welder friend if it needs beefing up after blasting as they are getting a bit rare these days.
                      Liked the idea of the tubular ones but I don't think it went any further?

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                        Glad to see you are keeping it.

Nice to have some garage space for the refurb.

Are you selling rs2 spec parts?
                        Yea good to finally have some space
                        Would like to have sold on my hybrid with the injectors and chips as a kit

cheers

Steve

Comment

• Makes sense.

Did you build the garage yourself? Looks like a good depth, and a reasonable width for a single garage you can actually work in.

The subframe is properly crusty. How long has your car been up North? I had an Aberdeen car that was pretty bad, and my dad had a 100s4 from Inverness that everything was seized underneath!

The car will drive so much better after this!
                          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by sjw185 View Post
                            ...Fit 18" Avus Alloys I've had in the shed for too long...
                            So what are you doing with your BBSs then? I've basically tried to copy yours and kinda failed so far

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                              Makes sense.

Did you build the garage yourself? Looks like a good depth, and a reasonable width for a single garage you can actually work in.

The subframe is properly crusty. How long has your car been up North? I had an Aberdeen car that was pretty bad, and my dad had a 100s4 from Inverness that everything was seized underneath!

The car will drive so much better after this!
                              Started the garage myself and did all the founds, concrete.
                              Managed block work ok but 215mm brick work was nightmare so I got a bricky in to finish off,
                              Garage is long enough for two S2s it wraps round the house at the back so its a bit wider with bifold doors into the back garden so I can store more motors
                              S2 has been north and south, Ericd owned it before his nothelle and I got it from Inverness a few owners later in 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack4688 View Post
                                So what are you doing with your BBSs then? I've basically tried to copy yours and kinda failed so far
                                Not sure what I will do about the BBS wheels? will see how I like the 18" first.
                                Then maybe sell or keep for the track
                                What have you failed with trying to find a set of RXs?

Comment

Working...
                                X