No announcement yet.

sjw185 aby to rs2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, let us know what you think of them once fitted and tested.

Comment

• will be a few weeks yet, but will report back
      got whiteline RARB to fit also so im hoping to see good inprovement.

Comment

• KW use helper springs to get around the problem

The car looks amazing, 18" Avus definitely one of the finest looking wheels on thee motors
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          KW use helper springs to get around the problem
          Yea but is the KW strut tube not longer that OEM so the combo of shorter spring and helper is possible?
          You were right about the time and effort involved in the DIY route Ive almost bailed on it a few times going to keep at it and hopefully end up with a nice setup

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
          Car looks great with the 18" Avus on
          Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          The car looks amazing, 18" Avus definitely one of the finest looking wheels on thee motors
          Real happy with the 18" amazing grip with the Michelin supersports they need a refurb though.

Cheers

Steve
          Last edited by sjw185; 29 June 2014, 12:49.

Comment

• Spring setup looks interesting. Are the springs controls off a standard car? Ive often pondered doing DIY coilovers but funds havent allowed. How much did it work out to do the coilover in the end?

Originally posted by sjw185 View Post
            Coilovers are coming together, springs are specials at 250lbs. Still need to get them fitted though. Turned out to be more expensive than I first though but decided to go with them to see how they feel?
            This is special spring next to standard.

Got the struts all painted with por15 will need to decide on topmounts and get them fitted.
            Originally posted by sjw185 View Post
            The part number was recommended when bought the coilover parts.
            Spring travel of 9" standard 2.5" diameter stock springs were either going coil bound or very close to coil bound up front so these springs were developed to allow more travel.
            Mr Tonks is running these as I think he was getting some noise up front with the standard spring.
            I decided to buy for all 4 corners in for a penny in for a pound!
            I see KW springs are much shorter so they don't have this issue but need the 9" for DIY struts.
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
              Spring setup looks interesting. Are the springs controls off a standard car? Ive often pondered doing DIY coilovers but funds havent allowed. How much did it work out to do the coilover in the end?
              Greg,

I had spare front struts and got rears off the forum
              Standard 9" x 2.5" springs are around £35each these ones were twice that so pushed the price up to about £600 plus all the grinding and painting I had to do

cheers

Steve

Comment

• Compared to some of the off the shelf options that price doesn't sound too unreasonable. Are the struts of any of the non s2 models compatible?
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Not sure, but the shock tube and bolt holes can be different across the range.

Comment

• Disaster
                    I decided to go the DIY route as I had adjustable Koni shocks on the car already but turns out at least the rear two shocks are leaking
                    Enquired about refurbing as they look like new but just got quoted for replacement at £144each.
                    Think its time to cut my losses and buy KWs.

These are the springs that came out the rear of the S2 progressive coil with green paint? any idea to what make they could be?

Last edited by sjw185; 8 August 2014, 10:44.

Comment

• Koni springs

I've got some HnR fronts, which you could have modified to sit properly on the rear. Coupe HnR rears sit a bit low
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                        Koni springs

I've got some HnR fronts, which you could have modified to sit properly on the rear. Coupe HnR rears sit a bit low
                        Didint know koni did a kit for the S2, My old coupe sat good on H & Rs but it was running on 16" wheels.
                        These springs are surplus as I'm fitting coilovers but as my Koni Shocks are leaking I am going to go for KW V1s instead.

Comment

• Is it just surface rust or are they past it?
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Never really looked closely at the springs as I was fitting new.
                            The springs are over 6 years old because they were on the car when I got it.
                            Whats the lifespan of your average spring? never thought about it

This is how it looked with the ole springs and 17" RXs

Comment

• Lifespan of spring depends on where car is kept and in what conditions.Almost indefinitely unless it breaks.Quite a few Bmw springs tend to break but never experienced an Audi spring break.Mine on all my cars are almost perfect and they are pushing 20 years old. If they are not badly corroded with only surface rust then refurb for years more service to come.
                              96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                              96 URS6 plus speck estate
                              94 2.6 80 Avant
                              99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• 3 monthly update

Done a lot on the S2 but never been on to post up whats been happening.
                                In the last few months I have fitted:
                                New top mounts
                                Kw V1s
                                Track rods ends
                                Banbridge track rod adjusters and steering bushes
                                Whiteline RARB
                                Error Loom and new coils

After fitting new coilpacks and wiring loom it was running like a bag of spanners??
                                Turned out to be the swapped wire I had put on the spare channel in the Pos a while back when trouble shooting.
                                Once swapped back worked much better.

Got my KWs fitted with new topmounts, drop links.
                                Used these top mounts, looked a lot heavier than the blues that came out.

Trackrod thread was goosed when I went to refit a new nut
                                Was hoping to leave the steering and alignment for a later date, but the track rod adjusters were so seized decided to remove the steering rods and strip them down.
                                Refitted with new ends, adjusters and bushes from Banbridge.
                                Got steering straight and toe sorted but need to go back to alignment place after I refurb front subframe and fit forged wishbones.

Crusty track rods

Removing old bush

New bush fitted

Nice

Also had an issue with the trackrod ends being close to the tyre so after reading the forum adjusted the hub bolts to give more clearance

New brake hoses next

Comment

Working...
                                X