No announcement yet.

sjw185 aby to rs2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea hopefully see big change when I get it back on the road.
    Got to clean up the brakes and fit DS2500 pads not impressed with my brakes even after fluid change. going to get braided lines on rear as well.

Comment

• …………………………….Over a year later!

I did finished refurbishing the front subframe and fitting forged wishbones with powerflex bushes.
      Installed solid subframe and gearbox mounts and and got it all aligned.
      I fear adding the solid subframe mounts to the already solid engine was a bridge too far

Last year was looking to change out my turbo for a RS2 unit.
      After missing out on a few and looking at billet RS2 I ended up getting a Borg Warner 6758 kit from Marc at EFI express.

I also had a second ABY engine I picked up locally from another forum member stored in the garage with the intention of rebuilding myself.

After looking at it for a year on the engine stand and moving it around the garage.
      I gave Danny at DNA a call when I seen his I5 builds and crated up engine to send for a rebuild.

Then Andy10v was selling a rolling shell and I thought I should rescue it.

With money spent and all these parts doing nothing it was time to formulate a plan.
      Originally my plan was to rebuild the engine for my S2 to go for a 450hp goal but with the purchase of the 3b shell the plan changed.
      I was thinking to install rebuilt engine from DNA into the 3b shell but with no MOT and history of wiring gremlins I decided it would be better to fit into ABY so I could run the engine in properly without risk of starting problems.
      I started to assemble rebuilt engine with reverse manifold and EFR turbo, but with parts missing for ISV, power steering pump issues and downpipe fabrication I was going no where fast.

I decided to assemble rebuilt engine with my original RS2 Hybrid setup until run in.

So plan B
      Fit new engine to ABY with Hybrid RS2 setup and run in.
      Fit Vacuum brake setup to 3b
      Clean up original removed ABY engine
      Paint block and fit to 3b with Wagner reverse setup with EFR Turbo.
      Fabricate downpipe.

Spare ABY

S2s face to face

Now with prices on the increase and the Coupe becoming a rare beast I am keen to return the ABY to OEM as I have the 3b to go crazy on.
      Thinking over time I will be removing solid bushings from ABY and keeping as OEM+ comfortable cruiser.

3b cage

S2s Stacked

Posters and billy bass

Rs2/Wagner intercooler comparison

Engine Crate for DNA

Engine Build at DNA

Original ABY Engine ready to remove

Engine coming oot
      Lift was really handy just lifted up and pushed car back.

Mul engine oot

Crusty block
      Its only once you get an engine out of a quite respectable car you can see over the years how crusty its becomes down there and around the back.

Rebuilt ABY engine from DNA

New engine removed from crate

Having some fun throwing parts together

AnLe Gearbox mount

Vidar Skotheim Oil cooler AnLe engine mount

Machined ABY coil cover and K24R catchtanks
      Last edited by sjw185; 28 October 2016, 04:40.

Comment

• Wow. Build really coming along and you still have the hybrid turbo

Do you have more pics of the oil cooler?
        Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

• Very impressive

Comment

• Yea still got your old turbo Will be changing for something bigger soon.

Here is another picture of the cooler I found. Ended up using aftermarket hoses as one of my original hoses had damaged threads.

Last edited by sjw185; 29 October 2016, 05:09.

Comment

• Worth the wait for an update. Great work as usual
              1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• Loving the superb update, garage with wall art and that rather awesome stacker.
                Jeez how i wish i had one. If i could ask where did you get the B4 saloon poster
                from and are the 2 post lifters as expensive as i imagine?

Still got your rear bumper.
                96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                96 URS6 plus speck estate
                94 2.6 80 Avant
                99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
                  Worth the wait for an update. Great work as usual
                  Cheers Mike maybe make a meet one day

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                  Loving the superb update, garage with wall art and that rather awesome stacker.
                  Jeez how i wish i had one. If i could ask where did you get the B4 saloon poster
                  from and are the 2 post lifters as expensive as i imagine?

Still got your rear bumper.
                  Check out this thread on lifts
                  http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77891

I don't have the full height but doing fuel lines sitting on a office chair is awesome.
                  Poster I got through ebay it was originally out of a magazine as its got the marks of a folded poster.
                  Hope the bumper is moving faster that in was in my back garden

Comment

• awesome !! great job
                    sadly i haven't the area to put a lifter like you in my garage,
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by sjw185 View Post

Check out this thread on lifts
                      http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77891

I don't have the full height but doing fuel lines sitting on a office chair is awesome.
                      Poster I got through ebay it was originally out of a magazine as its got the marks of a folded poster.
                      Hope the bumper is moving faster that in was in my back garden
                      Moving faster.....

Thanks for the information....superb stuff!

Since buying, another S6 found it's way here along with an A2 so bumper plans
                      have been relegated but not forgotten! Trials and tribulations of an Audiholic.
                      96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                      96 URS6 plus speck estate
                      94 2.6 80 Avant
                      99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Great to get the ABY running again, rebuilt engine now run in and car passed MOT a couple of weeks ago.
                        Just going to enjoy the car just now before the next stage.
                        Got a lot of tidying up to do but as long as its running that will get sorted in time

Comment

• 3b Resurrection Part 2

Andy10vs 3b is a bit of a legend, been on the forum with various Scottish members for the last ten years.
                          So when it came up for sale and the shell was probably going to head to the scrappers I had to buy it.

It’s good to keep it alive and hope I can get it back on the track again

Some History

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39838

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37733

Time to get the 3b indoors

One S2 pulling another

Running in new fuel lines down nearside, Filter and bracket

]

Removing the old servo

Comparison with vac brake booster.
                          Found removing dust seal from brake booster allowed you to fit using original top hat bracket.
                          Top hat bracket had to be put back in bulkhead first as you cant turn the fixing nuts once booster is in.

Ground down spacer so it fitted flat against the top hat

Fitted tophat in place and turned bolts so booster could fit in.
                          Once in I replaced dust cover/rubber boot back on the booster.

Booster installed

Had a hard time bleeding the clutch but read on the forum someone pushed fluid up from the clutch bleed nipple so tried that with the easybleed and worked a treat.
                          Brakes bled and pedal feeling good.

Comment

• Got rid of Procon 10 and brake bomb.

Wanted to get a power plant installed without messing about to much so painted the block and brackets and installed ABY removed from other S2.

Couldn’t use the 2 post lift to install the engine this time as car was rolling out into the back garden so borrowed a engine crane for a bottle of malt.

Last edited by sjw185; 3 November 2016, 23:20.

Comment

• Good work, Steve
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Quick progress so far!

Comment

Working...
                                X