No announcement yet.

sjw185 aby to rs2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love it. Did you do the trackday with the oil cooler from Vidar? I've done three trackdays with mine, two without fans, one with twin SPAL fans. Oil temps still takes off after a few laps

Comment

• Awesome update as usual keep them coming Man cave looks superb
      1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by andersg View Post
        Love it. Did you do the trackday with the oil cooler from Vidar? I've done three trackdays with mine, two without fans, one with twin SPAL fans. Oil temps still takes off after a few laps
        Yea was running Vidar oil cooler, Temps were good but did run up to 130deg on my last session stayed out a bit too long.
        Was using 10-40w maybe go to 10-50w next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael S2 View Post
          Awesome update as usual keep them coming Man cave looks superb
          Cheers Michael,

Been good getting out in the car and enjoying it for a change.
          First time cars had a good run in ages

Comment

• Success!
            Finally after two years the 3b has passed its MOT and is on the road.
            Still a lot to do but at least it’s rolling and road legal.

To continue where I left off.
            Removed subframes, wishbones, ARBs and got them blasted and painted in Kawasaki green.
            Refitted with powerflex subframe and wishbone bushes.
            Welded downpipe and got exhaust system on, need to finish off some additional mounting points.
            Removed KW V1s from my ABY to use on 3b. Would have liked to fitted V3s but decided to save some money and return ABY to more original spec anyway.
            Fitted Mk4 golf seat subframes to get bucket seats installed but would like to change for proper bars to get seat as low as possible.
            Welded sunroof closed from the inside which worked good, wish I had just welded 50% and seam sealed the rest as did it 100% and pulled the front corners a bit.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• Made an attempt at wrapping the roof, was going good but put too much heat through it and burst it near the end.
              After a few beers I thought it would be cool to have a silver carbon roof with a bit of a Heineken motif.
              2nd attempt........another wrinkled disaster so either I cant wrap for toffee or this cheapo stuff is no good?
              Not keen on the silver idea anyway so I have got a roll of black carbon 3m dinoloc to try before I give up and paint it
              This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Had the oil cooler on a bit of box section to clear the snub mount but didn't like it.
                Wanted to create a better space possibly for a cone filter round the front.
                Still practicing with welding but worked ok
                This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Disaster

As I recently got track car through MOT I needed to fit new exhaust mounts and got one on center section to stop it knocking on the tunnel.
                  Up till now I had only had the car out for short tests and was ready to go on a longer run so I decided to head out to see a fellow S2 owner about 16miles away.
                  On the way out the road I was enjoying some country twist and turns and fast carriageways it was all looking good.
                  I was keeping an eye on oil pressure and temperatures when driving all ok.
                  it was a warm night so radiator fan was working and water up at 90-95Degc the only thing I noticed that on hot idle the oil pressure was around 1bar.
                  When I arrived at destination switched car off for around 20min then went for a short drive not stressing engine too much changing up early in every gear with one bar of boost.
                  After a few miles heard noise from bottom end and when lowering throttle oil light came on.
                  Remember looking at revs around 3000 and oil pressure was barely 1bar.
                  Shut engine down, no signs of any leaking fluids pulled plugs and all looked healthy colour.
                  Arranged for car transporter for next day.
                  Once back in the garage drained oil which has metallic sheen and metal particles in oil pan.
                  Never got any more done before heading away offshore so will have to wait till I return home.
                  Engine has about 120000 on the clock and never been opened, regular oil changes etc.
                  Just trying to come up with reason why it suddenly let go?
                  Any thoughts suggested tests before I pull engine and open up?
                  Was thinking compression test then drop sump to see if I can see anything.
                  Gutted to say the least but still looked good on the back of the wagon
                  This gallery has 2 photos.
                  Last edited by sjw185; 25 July 2018, 00:29.

Comment

• Gutted for you mate am not great with engines so I can't give any advice sorry so I just hope you get it sorted and without big cost!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by anthonys2 View Post
                      Gutted for you mate am not great with engines so I can't give any advice sorry so I just hope you get it sorted and without big cost!!!
                      Yea hopefully I can get away with bottom end rebuild and get it back on the road.

Comment

• Removed engine and found number 3 rod bearing has spun.
                        Stripped down block and sent to engineering company for inspection, hoping crank can be saved and maybe just need rod replacing.
                        Have kept sump for cleaning and will look at head myself to try and reduce costs.
                        Not sure if oil pump will need replacing and will bin oil cooler.

Last edited by sjw185; 7 September 2018, 23:52.

Comment

• As the busted engine belongs to my other 95 S2 I've pulled the rebuilt forged engine from it and fitted it into the track car to try and get it running again.
                          This will leave my 95 aby needing a lot of work to make it good again but I intended to return it to a near OEM spec anyway.
                          Started disconnecting everything last night and got the engine pulled tonight.

Whats worse than a broken S2?.....Two broken S2's

Comment

• Been a busy night but good progress.

Comment

• That’s some rapid progress on the engine swap. Any news on the fate of your other engine?
                              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Awesome garage!

Comment

Working...
                                X