No announcement yet.

B3 Coupe quattro 32V V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you mean the front mount above the alternator then no, I didn't bother.

I've got solid engine mounts and uprated gearbox mounts so its tied down pretty well.

I thought you'd given up on yours..
    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• I GOT BORED!!!

Done:
      • Removed seats -SOLD!
      • Removed headlining and sunroof -SOLD!
      • Removed carpet -crap but if anyone wants it you can have it
      • Bought turbo. - Garrett TA51/T66
      • Bought bits to build exhaust manifolds
      • Bought ARP headstuds
      • Bought 044 fuel pump and surgetank
      • Bought 68lb injectors
      • Bought bucket seats
      • Remove heads for cleaning/prep

To do:
      • Buy rossmachineracing bits for custom intake
      • Buy an extra pair of headgaskets
      • Buy timing belt kit
      • Figure out cooling!
      • Assemble!!
      • Remap!

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• Epic

Where you putting the turbo?
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post
            Epic

Where you putting the turbo?
            95% sure it will be pass side wing area. I had my electric power steering pump there but that will end up in the boot now.
            Turbo inlet is twin scroll so building logs for each side and then running into a port each on the turbo. That's the current plan anyway, if I do it that way ill need 2 wastegates though, one on each manifold similar positioning to the cast 1.8/2.0 16vt manifolds out there. There's also a perfect boss on the block for an oil return that side.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2
            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• Some pictures as promised.

If my other half knew how much i'd spent on this car over the years, she'd go mental :tank

To be fair, I don't really fancy knowing either!

Today I swapped out map sensor in the ecu for a 2.5bar one so it can see boost, I only had a 1 bar in there with the car being NA originally.

All back together ready to be closed up:

Also built up the fuel pump into the swirl pot/tank

Pulled the heads the other week, bores look good and compliment the good even compression figures I got before i tore it apart. Will just be cleaning everything up, new vsos and a light skim. Maybe guides if theyre worn, but not stripped the valves out yet.

Measured up the pipe elbows and flanges ready to cut and weld up. Also had to swap some studs round on the heads to match the 16vt flanges.

Also, on the intake side, I got some velocity stacks from Ross machine racing along with their oval intake tubing to build my own intake to save some room under the bonnet.

They are a cnc work of art.

And a couple of shots of the expensive jigsaw puzzle to build.

Oh and ive bit the bullet and ordered one of these brand spanking:

Peace.
              1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• Got both heads off the car now and stripped. Will be sending them off to get cleaned up and skimmed, possibly some valve guides depending on what the pros think, some of them feel abit loose to me but ill let them decide.

Ordered the extra pair of head gaskets for stacking today so I can clean up the block and fit the headstuds ready for the refreshed heads next week.

Just been and picked this up this morning too:

01E gearbox from an A6 allroad Tdi. Has had final drive swapped from 4.5 to 4.1 to match my rear diff.

Decided it was a good idea to swap for a stronger box now so I can recoup the costs and sell my current 01E 6 speed. My current one is an early S4 box, and has a narrow 1st gear which is prone to stripping the gears off with big torques. Newer box has a wider 1st gear and a flexible mainshaft to deal with the extra torque loading, and also has an internal oil pump to run an oil cooler to boot too.

Just need to figure out the shifter as its slightly different on the newer boxes, but pretty sure ive got the bits needed to cobble something working together.

Pipework for exhaust manifolds will be getting cut up and welded in the next week hopefully and I can start chucking bits back together then.
                1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• Bit of an update, said id get a few things done in the next week in my last post, nearly a month ago.
                  Finally got the motivation this weekend to crack on with the exhaust manifolds.

Cut all the bends to size and welded them up.

Still need to finish off one of them as I was a bit shaky at half 8 last night after hardly eating all day so welding was getting a bit tricky. Will finish it up in the week.

Chop chop chop

Tack tack tack

Weld weld weld

Finished product (for now)

Obviously need to cut out and add a flange to the turbo later on when i figure that out, but pretty sure that ill add 2.25" vbands and run those to each scroll on the turbo.

Pulled the engine out a few weeks back.

Chased the threads and fitted ARP head studs ready to accept the new head gaskets and cleaned up heads.

Head wise, still not taken them to a shop to have them looked at, but im swaying towards just giving them a good wash. Ill check the head surface to see if theyre still flat and if they are i dont see any point having them skimmed just for the hell of it and I dont want to be dealing with more compression. And i'm a tight ****. Valve guides are a bit loose, but I think they're still in factory spec.
                  I had new ones put in on my 20V head when I was going down that route and when I measured the play when I was reassembling it, they were still looser than i expected.

Got the engine on that stand and flipped it over to whip the sump and oil pan off. Needed to do this as I need to drill the block for a turbo oil return. Theres a nice boss on the left side of the block so thats where that will be going.

Picking up the Monty next week too!!

My A6 2.5Tdi Quattro is for sale if anyone is interested.
                  1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• Some good progress there mate - where is that dustbin-lid turbo going to live in the engine bay?
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Turbo will live in nearside wing area, with x-over pipe from other bank over gearbox.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
                      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• Wooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww
                        Step 1: setup. <==
                        Step 2: potentiation.
                        Step 3: enjoy.

Comment

• A lot of work, but you're getting throughout it, and the thrust in the back should be like an private jet taking off, with a 'matching' sound track.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the videos in due course when it is done.

Wish I had the ability and the time.

Comment

• Thanks for the encouragement macspring.
                            Was getting the impression no one was bothered lol.
                            I'm doing this for myself, it's a labour of live really. Trying not to set any goals, just enjoying working on it.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
                            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• Your project is definitely inspired and appreciated.

Keep up the good work, and updates too.

This thing is going to be a beast when she's running.
                              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                              2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                              2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                              1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                              1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

• Found a place local to me that skimmed the heads for £25 each, everywhere else wanted £40 upwards.

So I can start rebuilding them now.

Just patching up a plastic box in the garage so I can soak them in some fuel to loosen up the carbon and then will give them a jetwash to clean out the crud.

Then the daunting task of lapping in 32 valves. Not looking forward to that. :corey:

Then I can chuck the rest of it together and get the heads back on and start fabricating the rest of the turbo manifolds. Need to get the block in my garage so I dont have to drive 40 mins to work on it.

Also got to figure out how to get the ****ing crank pulley off. Will probably end up fabricating a holding tool for it as no one wants to lend me the proper tool for it.
                                1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Working...
                                X