No announcement yet.

Mr Simmonds 3B lite project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was looking at designing some coupe braces...
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      yeah the stock tunnel braces are pretty weak, I remade mine out of 3mm plate - but I think really you need a triangluar ladder brace across tunnel, especially on the 3B with its mega wide bits - but its only really possible with a custom made exhaust and no cat / front silencer - but it sounds like thats the route you're taking maybe?

Front lower brace between the chassis rails is a prime spot, just behind the rear mounts are on the front subframe - bit of low profile box section or pressed tube a la stock 3B brace works nicely - I just welded some M14 nuts onto a piece of 3mm plate, then cut that to suit and welded that onto the chassis rails so the brace bar is removeable.

If engine ever comes out there space to add some triangulation between the turrets / inner wings and the firewall above and below the rack would be good (on my list when i do my engine swap) - although IIRC the S2 already has something in this area?

Rear strut brace sounds ideal using the stock mounts right at the top of the strut
      I am modding my bar to triangulate it to the cross member that the front edge of the fuel tank bolts into.

Also a nice easy one is stich welding the cross members in the floor pan that the front seat runner is on - these correspond roughly to where the U-shaped OEM tunnel brace is IIRC so I think it is there for a reason

Anything helps the coupe chassis TBH - its predominatly made of custard don't you know!
      at the custard comment, yep their floppy old buses.

Some good idea's there Alex, I am indeed fabricating my own custom single 3" pipe system, I'll look at doing a proper job of bracing the tunnel whilst I'm at it.

I'd be interested to see some pics of the front lower brace you describe, sounds like a winner to me

Andy, I reckon an easily installable rear strut brace solution would sell well, as I've said I'm making my own and will probably triangulate it as Alex has done.
      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Right, fairly major update.

No pic's as yet as I've broken my cameras USB lead.

Just had a long chat with Andy at AET, apparently my Nothelle turbo is such a bizarre dated hybrid even they can't get one major component that needs replacing, namely the K26 Turbine housing which has severe internal cracks. So their going to re-machine a K24 Turbine housing to suit my current turbine wheel and retain the shaft as this is rescue-able. The centre section is also beyond repair so their going to use another one fitted with a 360 baring. We also discussed what sort of power I'm looking for, ie 350-380 BHP, and on his advice I'm going for a slightly larger compressor wheel combined with a compressor housing to suit fitted to my current cold side back plate. Basically a completely revised unit, which will be capable of RS2 power with very little lag. Andy is looking into what parts to use and will get back to me with an exact spec latter today or tomorrow.

I've also got a Jetex 2.75" back box, thanks again add

Some as new H&R S2 VA/HA springs will be on their way to me at some point this week, thanks again AndyG. I'm going for some Bilstein dampers up front and retaining the Sachs sporting one's on the rear as there's nothing wrong with them. Was going to convert the legs to coilovers but have decided to give this set up a try as funds are now tight.

All my struts legs and baring housing are being sand blasted tomorrow, will probably just paint them black with Por15.

The turbo rebuild is going to cost more than I first budgeted for so it maybe a little longer before the car is finished, but it'll be worth the wait.
        Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 September 2016, 16:51.

Comment

• Kit there is a turbo place near me in New Milton Hampshire they are a KKK specailist I would give them a call it's a full stocked shop from what I saw
          Chef

Comment

• Cool - sounds like a you'll end up with a nicely specced little blower then Kit

Here's some pics of my front chassis brace location - not got any pics of the actual bar as yet but hopefully i'll be able to take a couple this week when my alignment is being done

Piece of timber I mocked up when I was making the bar - this is where it sits

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Nice project mate,keep up the good work
              Glad you're happy with the Jetex rearbox
              It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Comment

• Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                Kit there is a turbo place near me in New Milton Hampshire they are a KKK specailist I would give them a call it's a full stocked shop from what I saw
                Cheers for the heads up Terry. I haven't committed myself yet, I'm waiting for Andy to get back to me with exact details and a price, though he reckons it's going to be about the £500 mark and will be a really good unit, capable of running 1.9bar with very fast spool up. Will post up details of what Andy says on here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  Cool - sounds like a you'll end up with a nicely specced little blower then Kit

Here's some pics of my front chassis brace location - not got any pics of the actual bar as yet but hopefully i'll be able to take a couple this week when my alignment is being done :
                  I like your thinking there Alex, will be looking to do something similar, look forward to photos of your complete set up.

Comment

• sounds good, hope the bottom end is all nicely stengthened as if it's got RS2 low end torque capabilities then you'll be getting a bit close to the safe limits there.

Mine felt slow yesterday but then I was +1 and going up a steep hill :mischeif:
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      sounds good, hope the bottom end is all nicely stengthened as if it's got RS2 low end torque capabilities then you'll be getting a bit close to the safe limits there.

Mine felt slow yesterday but then I was +1 and going up a steep hill :mischeif:
                      . Weight is the enemy!!!!

Yep, I know I'm going to be pretty much on the limit, however the bottom end is remaining stock. It was only rebuilt with RS2 shells 15K ago so I'm not prepared to strip it for the sake of 30 or foot pounds of torque, the car will be mapped accordingly. My ignition circuit is in tip top condition, new dissy, new coil, correct rotor arm, new leads and new plugs. I also have my Zeitronix kit to keep an eye on things so I'm not too concerned.

I'll know the exact spec of what Andy is proposing tomorrow, he's aware I'm sticking with a stock bottom end and I've said I'm more concerned about lag than outright power. From what he was saying today it sounds like I'll have a very slightly smaller hot side than an RS2 unit, retaining my Nothelle turbine, which is some sort of special Nothelle re-machined K26 job, the the cold side and centre section being pretty much identical to a standard RS2 turbo with the addition of a 360 baring. Will post up details on here as soon as I know.
                      Last edited by K Simmonds; 2 February 2010, 17:51.

Comment

• Sounds like a tidy project you got going mate, cant wait to see it when its done!
                        Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                        03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                        01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

• Thanks James, I can't wait either. It's taking me a lot longer than I expected but I'm really getting somewhere now and it'll be worth the time and effort, well to me anyway.

I want it finished ASAP, not only to drive it but also so I can start in earnest on my '10VT EFi 90Q sports shed project'.

Comment

• Got my suspension parts back from sand blasting, going to be painted black with Por15. Note that an old top mount is perfect for masking up the bearings, blanks them off totally, being rubber and flexible when the bolt is tighten they expand creating a perfect seal.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Got a set of nearly new H&R's sorted, and a Jetex back box which is pretty much new as well.

My turbo should be back from AET next week, the only thing that's going to be the same is the exhaust turbine and shaft. It's being built up with a genuine K24 7200 back plate and compressor wheel, apparently the RS2 back plate is stronger than a normal K26 one due to being slightly bevelled. My old compressor housing is being machined out to suit the new compressor wheel as there's enough material there. The centre section will be new and fitted with a 360 degree baring. On AET's advice I'm retaining my original Nothelle K26 turbine which is a tiny amount smaller than an RS2 item this is being fitted into a machined out brand new K24 turbine housing, however it's still quite capable of driving the RS2 compressor. Andy at AET reckons this should give me a really nice unit with minimal lag, capable of 380BHP safely and able to hit 2.0 bar of boost though I probably won't run quite that much.

I'll get it all back together and running nicely, do a thousand miles or so then fit a 044 pump, 7A 4bar FPR and RS2 injectors prior to getting it live mapped. I'll be looking too MRC.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Right.. Just a brief update to show that this project is still advancing.

I've recently had a major change of jobs from carpenter to mechanic. This has slowed progress a little as I'm putting in a lot of hours to make a good impression, plus I genuinely enjoy the work. Despite training as an engineer I've spent most my working life in the building trade, my Farther is a carpenter and after leaving collage I worked my way up on site from labourer to chippy. However once working for myself I got feed up with dealing with customers and the stupid questions they ask, in fact it dam near drove me mad. Anyway, the long and the short of it is I'd recently finished a building job and was doing a bit of scrap for a mate who runs a garage in order to make some ready cash. I ended up giving him a hand spannering for a couple of days as he was snowed under with work. He gave a job, moneys not quite as good as building but I'm in the dry and free of troublesome customers.

I've not been completely idle, in the past month I've painted my hubs and struts with two coats of Por 15, which I have to say is fantastic stuff, I'll never use Hamerite again.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by K Simmonds; 27 March 2010, 00:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X