X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flat on my back View Post
    And you did all this in your garage?

Ummmmm...nice...
    I think it's about time JP came out of the closet and told everybody who he is and what he does

Nice work by the way JP
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Great writeup.

Wish that I had all those tools and know-how in my garage, so I'd let go of sending the engine away for serveral years for the same work.
      Have you chosen what turbo you will run in this application?

cheers,
      Anders - S2 Avant Clubsport - 8pots or die!

sigpic

Comment

Cheers for comments,

AndyP - nah I'll wait till Gti Festival on the 11th

AndersS2 - turbo will come in a post shortly, this build thread will happen as quickly as I can be bothered to upload the pictures as the car is now running in it's final guise awaiting some final tweaking of the map once the dyno is fitted at MRC.

In the meanwhile couple more pics.

Zero'd the stretch gauge to a known value (2" in this case)

So I can use it to measure the length of the ARP rod bolts that came with the H-Beams prior to installation

So the rod bolts can be torqued up using the stretch method (would've helped if I had photographed the same bolt for both pics )

Oil pump stripped down for clearance inspection and cleaning

Oil pump lubed up prior to re-assembly

Sachs race clutch, I did contemplate using an organic one but figured I carry a lot of weight in the car at times being a workhorse and the last thing I want to do is have a slipping clutch when fully loaded. The heavy clutch pedal doesn't really concern me, heck it stops the missus driving the car

That's it for the moment head is next in the archives I believe.
        UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

the above reason is why i decided not to use a lightened flywheel as well. To give some inertia and produce a streatable engine.

keep it up!

Comment

for a good thread, really enjoying this with the explination of processes and reasons why

Sapphire cos running custom 2.8litre conversion,es cos rims,raven black leather interior and 500+ with the gas turned off.

Audi s2 cooking on gas

Comment

Great thread and info

Comment

concur with the above, looking in the background this looks like much more than a hobby. Makes mine feel a bit old!

Although the end of line urS6s were specced up with S6+ interiors. What age is the car, guessing 96-97?

Comment

nice work.

Andyp it looks like JP builds motors to me. or at least machines them. nice work on the pistons. i took some meat of the top of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by RWD19T View Post
                    Cheers for comments,

AndyP - nah I'll wait till Gti Festival on the 11th

AndersS2 - turbo will come in a post shortly, this build thread will happen as quickly as I can be bothered to upload the pictures as the car is now running in it's final guise awaiting some final tweaking of the map once the dyno is fitted at MRC.

In the meanwhile couple more pics.

Zero'd the stretch gauge to a known value (2" in this case)

So I can use it to measure the length of the ARP rod bolts that came with the H-Beams prior to installation

So the rod bolts can be torqued up using the stretch method (would've helped if I had photographed the same bolt for both pics )

Oil pump stripped down for clearance inspection and cleaning

Oil pump lubed up prior to re-assembly

Sachs race clutch, I did contemplate using an organic one but figured I carry a lot of weight in the car at times being a workhorse and the last thing I want to do is have a slipping clutch when fully loaded. The heavy clutch pedal doesn't really concern me, heck it stops the missus driving the car

That's it for the moment head is next in the archives I believe.
                    I have this clutch and it certainly isn't heavy, I used it in day to day driving and it's no different from stock once it's bedded in

Comment

Another little pictoral update finishing the engine of.

Chased a tap down the headbolt threads to ensure good thread location on the headstuds

Decided to use the slightly shorter guide on the intake of the 16v ABF engine and modified them to sit deeper into the head to avoid mechanical damage to the stemseals

Measured the point of entry into the intake runner and bullet nosed the intakes

Finished intake ports

Finished exhaust ports

Skimmed and deck cooled to aid heat transference away from the combustion chamber for more timing advance when mapping

As it is a 7A head extra water channels machined

And cam position sensor fitted

Last but not least refaced the exhaust face with new studs and nuts fitted. Modified the composite headgasket to drop compression down to 8.7:1. Originally I did contemplate machining the tops of the pistons to drop compression but decided I rather have maximum crown thickness as I intend to aim for around 2 bar on Vpower.

UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Originally posted by istoo View Post
                        What age is the car, guessing 96-97?
                        Yep end November 1996. I believe they change to the new chassis in January 1997 in the UK so it is probably one of the last ones of the production line. Doing very well considering it's done 189k miles on the clock of which the last 2yrs/30k it has had a hard life
                        UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Lovely sexy pics - keep em coming

Comment

Originally posted by RWD19T View Post
                            Yep end November 1996. I believe they change to the new chassis in January 1997 in the UK so it is probably one of the last ones of the production line. Doing very well considering it's done 189k miles on the clock of which the last 2yrs/30k it has had a hard life
                            It is one of the last hence the S6+ spec... the data sticker in the boot will confirm but i guess tis will have been one of the run out cars (a good thing in my view)

Mileage identical to my urS4 avant! But i am nothing like as far on as you are, nor as mechanically gifted. nice to see it being treated so well, bookmarking this thread

Comment

Is that water jacketing I see on the bottom of your cyl head?

Comment

yep was contemplating doing it to the block but looking at how much meat is left afterwards I felt it weakened the block too much hence the choice for modifying the cylinderhead instead.
                                UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Working...
                                X