No announcement yet.

My 3B to RS2 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been a while since I looked at it, from memory you just need the resistor plate and add the big 60A fuse
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      ABY rad fan will fit with stock rad - just.
      I think you might struggle with a thicker core.

PITA with those ****** fittings from 034
      Yeah, the flange didn't stand a chance, the ali had grown into the steel fitting so I just pulled on the spanner and thought, "that came undone easy!"

Hmm, maybe I could fit a Pacet fan to the ABY housing? But will the resistors work for the first stage speed?

Do you think the resistor in the 3B motor does the first stage or the one bolted to the housing? I guess one of them must be for the AC low speed fan (which I no longer need as I removed the wiring for it last time I was behind the dash..)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

• The resistor is in the fan motor on the 3B, that's why there's a 3 pin plug on the 3B fan. Not sure about the after-run curcuit, I guess there is a separate resistor pack for that?
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• There's this bolted to the cowling I reckon it's N47

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• This of any use?
            http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59802

The 3B fan is a PITA for accessability. I was looking at using an OE 2 speed fan and a fabricated shroud so that it could still have all the speeds. In essence the ABY fan is one speed, and achieves its speeds through various resistances.
            Unfortunately the OE fan I have in mind is massive but IF it could be squeezed in would make accessability much easier as its held with a few screws to the shroud meaning that it can just be lifted straight out.
            I don't think they would be any advantage to using an ABY shroud with a aftermarket fan as it sort of defeats the object. The fan needs to pull the air through the shroud really. So an aftermarket fan with a fabricated shroud would be better.

Comment

• Originally posted by twoqu View Post
              This of any use?
              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59802

The 3B fan is a PITA for accessability. I was looking at using an OE 2 speed fan and a fabricated shroud so that it could still have all the speeds. In essence the ABY fan is one speed, and achieves its speeds through various resistances.
              Unfortunately the OE fan I have in mind is massive but IF it could be squeezed in would make accessability much easier as its held with a few screws to the shroud meaning that it can just be lifted straight out.
              I don't think they would be any advantage to using an ABY shroud with a aftermarket fan as it sort of defeats the object. The fan needs to pull the air through the shroud really. So an aftermarket fan with a fabricated shroud would be better.
              Very helpful Robin, thanks

I was thinking of an aftermarket fan the same diameter as the circular hole in the ABY shroud

I can actually get to the 3B fan motor connector as the battery now lives under the back seat.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• It's surprising how much stuff they changed to get the ABY fan into the engine bay. Apart from relocating obvious stuff even the top rad hose is a different shape.
                Unfortunately 2 speed fans are hard to find if you want to retain the three speeds. Audi actually went back to the 200q rad fan set up including its resistor pack etc on the ABY thats where the 44X p/n originate from.
                A nice rad/shroud/fan combo would be a nice addition and the OE functionality would be a bonus but perhaps not really necessary as long as the fan could cope with the demands of the cooling system.

Comment

• My 3B to RS2 project

Some progress and some setback..

New alloy rad is in with the 3B shroud and fan for the mo. Need to run it up to temp to check fan comes in ok, should be fine.

Got the AN turbo line fitted after a bit of fiddling around. Unfortunately the feed flange has a pin hole in the weld so a tiny oil leak, Chef will send me a new one Monday, it will need a run to check but should be good to go for ADI.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Pics from this evening

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Got the Recaros wired up yesterday, power from under the back seat via one of those big thermal fuses I had knocking about from an old loom.

Really liking driving it, the seat is comfy and secure.

Also installed the eBoost Street and got it working, boost is very well controlled, much better than the MBC I was using. Still have to find the RPM signal from the ECU and hook that up to get all the features working.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Looking good
                        Leif-Helge
                        -91 S2 VEMS and Comp Turbo
                        -12 B** 530XD Touring "S2 parts transporter, and daily driver"

Comment

• [emoji41][emoji41]

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• You using it as a taxi now? 😄

Sent from apollo 13 using tapatalk
                            1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

• Changed the plugs today, fitted the ABY strut brace and did some tidying, coilpacks repositioned and wiring tidied up. Going to move the catch tank next and maybe go for a K24R unit [emoji41]

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Hey John, have you decided what to do about the map yet?
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X