B3 Audi 80 16V Sport (1.8 Turbo) - loads of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_whitehead View Post
    ahh, I see... I think I would need to physically see a set of lights to make sure they fit, the alignment between the B3 and B4 rear lights is really bugging me at the moment... but I cant seem to find any rear tailgate lights that are of the "bright" red variety from a B4 - be it avant or saloon (as I think they are the same?)
    Ehrm I'm not quite sure what you mean but the 90 type 89 numberplate surround fits your 80 type 89 of course. The red rear corner lights you've got right now are from a 80 B4 avant, the saloon ones are different and won't fit. If you want better looking red rears you should get a set from an US 90 type 89.

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
      Ehrm I'm not quite sure what you mean but the 90 type 89 numberplate surround fits your 80 type 89 of course. The red rear corner lights you've got right now are from a 80 B4 avant, the saloon ones are different and won't fit. If you want better looking red rears you should get a set from an US 90 type 89.
      interesting... I didnt know I had the B4 avant ones! so do the B4 avant rear clusters not fit? and what s the difference between the UK and US 90 Type 89 lights?

thanks for this, really enlightening

Comment

Ha Ha, I forgot my old Audi 80 Sport Edition was still here: http://www.matey-matey.com/j34reh.shtml

I tinted my rears with red spray and it looked good. (IMO)

I miss that car.
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

US 90's have real red lights not like the pink ones we got in Europe. AFAIK avant bootlid lights will fit on your 80, the only difference are the darker grey reverse lights

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
            Ha Ha, I forgot my old Audi 80 Sport Edition was still here: http://www.matey-matey.com/j34reh.shtml

I tinted my rears with red spray and it looked good. (IMO)

I miss that car.
            Hey, did you have any issues with rubbing on the 17's? I notice you have 205 fitment, I was wondering if I could put 215's on this in the summer on 17's or would I need to spacer it out?

thanks

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
            US 90's have real red lights not like the pink ones we got in Europe. AFAIK avant bootlid lights will fit on your 80, the only difference are the darker grey reverse lights
            cool mate, that is what I am after then... this whole rear light cluster stuff is a minefield!

Comment

the avant grey reverse lights might look good on your car as it's about the same colour as the cars paintwork.

Comment

Lee,

Great thread.

Great photos, naturally, keen to see how it progresses.

Car should be quick and economical.

The 90 front and the US 90 rear would be my choice - no help I know.

Great to get so much progress on the thread at one time.

Kind regards.

Comment

Well, I'd I can find bright red rear clusters with the smoked reverse I will be pleased, especially as I have a mate who working in a body shop who will be colour coding the number plate surround and wing mirrors, along with a new paint job on the bonnet, roof and a few other areas.

I think I will also try and get a US 90 rear cluster and see how it goes but I am guessing that will be harder to sort.

Can't wait to get this engine swapped, the passat goes in for stripping on Friday and the 80 on Monday - going to get the cambelt, water pump and a new clutch done while its in there.

Good times

Comment

It had a new water pump a few months ago so you can save some money there.
                    The avant rear lights i'll have a look I may have some spare.
                    Are you doing all the extras like trip computer etc? if so let me know as i've got that stuff spare as well.
                    Your getting some good progress with it, keep it up

Comment

cheers Pete, good to know, need to save some pennies here and there as a friend is letting his K04 go from his Cupra in Feb. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_whitehead View Post
                        Hey, did you have any issues with rubbing on the 17's? I notice you have 205 fitment, I was wondering if I could put 215's on this in the summer on 17's or would I need to spacer it out?

thanks
                        The 205/40's were okay but did rub with the car loaded up. (It was also lowered 60mm too). I think it was very marginal though, so with the correct make of rubber that was a "narrow" 205 as it were I think you would get away with it.

I can't remember the offset on the wheels, it was ET 35 or 37 IIRC>

Cheers,

Steve
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic
                        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

thanks for the tyre info, thats a while off, when more money and better weather rolls into view...

Comment

Lee,

re the water pump, the oem one has plastic impeller, a "spurious" branded one form say Lemforder should have a metal one. Metal is preferable.

If it's a new oem one that was fitted a while ago should still be OK, when on a finite budget.

VAG may have fixed their plastic ones where the shaft turned, but the plastic impeller didn't spin, and slipped on the shaft.

Probably not a vital issue, but just so that you are aware of it.

Kind regards.

Comment

cheers for this info re: water pump, may be something I look into when I have a bit more budget and the car goes back in for Turbo tweaking and stuff.

I have a friend with a K04 from a cupra R so if/when I grab that I may look at getting a metal water pump as well.

I am really surprised at the amount of support here with parts and advice, credit to the members on the site who all look out for each other, and I was in two minds about posting here because its not an S2

Comment

Nice car and interesting project. This is a great forum

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X