Andyg's Colgate Wagon Project thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by andyg plym View Post
    So I heard back from the engine shop earlier, he said it looked like water ingress which he’d seen many times, ties in with the head gasket being particularly bad on the same cylinder and it has misfired slightly (for a couple of seconds) on start up for a while which would no doubt be coolant in the bore putting the spark out.
    He believes although it looks bad he can easily get it out and will also do the work on the head. He has a good UK supplier of all reinz/ erling gaskets etc
    I have to say at the moment without tempting fate it’s all looking positive and won’t cost too much.... famous last words.
    if it is new pistons and all that goes with it I’m really not bothered about more power rs2+ is just nice
    Who are you using Andy?
    '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin's S4 View Post

Who are you using Andy?
      Paul inch engine services Plymouth used to use him years ago when I was in the garage

Comment

• Been busy today , all came apart really easily get it off to the machine shop shortly along with the head
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 8 photos.

Comment

• Mains shells look ok. What are the big ends like?
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• Just like the shells no marks, piston rings all identical in feel/ movement I was expecting number 4 to be different from the rest but no. Surprised how heavy the crankshaft was!

Comment

• Update; machine shop attempted to hone but said there was a lip and I’m sure he said 4 thou of wear so now needs a rebore. So guessing now it will need oversize pistons etc etc

got to drop the crank off but have been advised that engine balancing shouldn’t be required

just deciding what route to take now as I was convinced at keeping it rs2+ spec but if displacement is going to be bigger should I look at more power? I like the OEM bolt on stuff too much I think

let the shopping commence, got some new ARP studs today for £123 so happy with that!
              Last edited by andyg plym; 21 May 2020, 20:36.

Comment

• Would that small increase in bore really make such a difference power wise?
                If your'e happy with the bolt on stuff I say keep it as is.

Although if you have uprated rods in combination with the new pistons you'll have the peace of mind of upping the power in the future if you choose to.
                Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
                http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

• Exactly right do I do it now whilst it’s all in a thousand pieces? Saw a package on Facebook this week for a turbo (hx40?) manifold, screamer pipe etc for a thousand euros not bad I thought

Comment

• I guess that's a question only you can answer in the end.

If you are eager and have the time and resources to build something more 'hairy' then by all means go for it.
                    Be aware it is a potential can of worms when you take that path, should be fun in the end though.
                    Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
                    http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

Working...
                    X