• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another
    Attached Files
    91 Audi Coupe Quattro- AAN engine transplant

Comment

Hey guys, just an update. I had a close call last week. I was driving the coupe and decided I was ready to run it a WOT. I did a second gear pull to redline, wow everything seemed fine so I did 3rd and 4rth. I slowed down and noticed smoke behind the car, I stopped and smoke was rolling out from under the hood, I quickly shut it off and popped the hood. The timing belt pulley had been over tightened and was working its wa off causing the timing belt to work its way off the cam gear and through the timing belt cover and then through the oil line going to the oil cooler. Thank god it went through the oil line before coming completely off or this would be a sad story. I towed the car back to the house and ordered a new cover, more oil line, and a new pulley bracket. I got it yesterday, put it back together and it drove great. Today I'm gonna put some miles on it to see if anything else needs attention. I have my fingers crossed.

Elijah

Comment

Another day another $$. After driving the car for around 50 miles mostly normal driving with a second third pull here and there the car all of a sudden made a clunk and I had no grab from the clutch. The pedal felt fine but when in gear there was nothing. Pulled the tranny this weekend to find the clutch had sheared off. I'm not sure what caused this yet but I have a feeling the tranny was mounted just a little off and this was the result. Anyway, now I'm looking for a new clutch. The one that broke was a Centerforce with a Centerforce pressure plate and Lightweight aluminum flywheel. I would like to keep using the aluminum flywheel and maybe the pressure plate and am looking for a clutch that will work with this combo. I have a friend here that has a Sachs Race Engineering 4-puck, sintered ceramic, rigid-plate disc that is rated to 700nm. He has it in his urs4 and says it works great and isn't to bad to drive around town. He special ordered these from Germany since they are not available in the states. Anyone know anything or have any experiance with this clutch? Thanks, here are some pics of the clutch.

Elijah
        Attached Files

Comment

again
          Attached Files

Comment

aluminum flywheel
            Attached Files

Comment

why don't you use cluthnet cluth, they are sold in the us?
              http://www.clutchnet.com/make/audi.html#Coupe%20Quattro

sla s2
              sla
              '91 s2 3b, 305hp, 480 nm.
              www.4plius.com

Comment

Originally posted by sla_s2
                why don't you use cluthnet cluth, they are sold in the us?
                http://www.clutchnet.com/make/audi.html#Coupe%20Quattro

sla s2
                Agreed, Aelred here just organised a group buy and got a load shipped here, these have now arrived and it didn't take all that long to get them.

I wont fit mine (Carbon) for a while yet, probably Tom will get his in first to test, but I have heard that they are good.

Mark.
                Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan
                  Agreed, Aelred here just organised a group buy and got a load shipped here, these have now arrived and it didn't take all that long to get them.

I wont fit mine (Carbon) for a while yet, probably Tom will get his in first to test, but I have heard that they are good.

Mark.

Mark,
                  I went with the carbon one from clutchnet. Here is a picture. I hope to install it this weekend or early next week.

Elijah
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elijahallens2
                    Mark,
                    I went with the carbon one from clutchnet. Here is a picture. I hope to install it this weekend or early next week.

Elijah

Just picked mine up from Steve H today, and Tom is fitting his this weekend, look forward to seeing how good they are.

Mark.
                    Mark - Modded

Comment

Hey Elijah, this is probably the nicest pearl white S2 i've ever seen, i love that colour. Car looks like its coming on well, should be great once its done.

Cheers,

Chris
                      Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chris M
                        Hey Elijah, this is probably the nicest pearl white S2 i've ever seen, i love that colour. Car looks like its coming on well, should be great once its done.

Cheers,

Chris
                        Chris,
                        Yea, pictures make it look way better than it is. There are many parts underneith that need to be pulled, sandblasted, and powder coated. Also the body needs some work and a full re-spray. When I'm done with it (if I don't total it, like i did the S4) it will be awesome . Tomorrow I will install the clutch and some new aluminum strut tower bearings/bushings. Here's a picture of them.

Eljah
                        Attached Files

Comment

I spent the last couple days getting the new clutch in as well as the solid aluminum strut mount bushings and a few other needed things. I dove the car yesterday for 30 or so miles with no problems. It ran great and the clutch is very nice, pedal feel is about the same as the centerforce was. The clutch grabs very nice and has no chatter. I did do some full boost pulls (I know I'm supposed to break it in first but I couldn't help it) and it was crisp between shifts and held strong. The solid strut mount bushings let a little more road noise come through the car but all in all just add to the overall tight feeling of this car. I haven't installed the whiteline rarb yet and plan to also add the RS2 farb. I added new adustible Koni shocks in the front since one of the old ones was blown. The car has aluminum subframe bushings and nylon control arm bushings so it is very tight already, I can't imagine with the bigger arb's. I also added a short shifter from Billcatz, the throw is now very crisp. The only thing that worries me about the short shifter is that it elliminates the lock out reverse in the stock 5 speed coupe tranny so I have to be carefull going from fifth to fourth. Anyway, thats where I'm at and am going to a track event this weekend to test it out for real .

Elijah

Comment

Originally posted by elijahallens2
                            Chris,
                            Yea, pictures make it look way better than it is. There are many parts underneith that need to be pulled, sandblasted, and powder coated. Also the body needs some work and a full re-spray. When I'm done with it (if I don't total it, like i did the S4) it will be awesome . Tomorrow I will install the clutch and some new aluminum strut tower bearings/bushings. Here's a picture of them.

Eljah
                            Elijah,

Are those 2Bennett strut mounts?
                            Mark Siggelkow

'90 CQ 20vT - NASA GTS-5 (R.I.P.)
                            '90 CQ-R - NASA GTS-4/5
                            '00 A4 1.8TQMS (Wife's Daily Driver)
                            '12 TT-RS (Wife's new DD, on order for May European delivery)
                            '62 Porsche 356B (another race car)
                            '03 Kawasaki Z1000 (toy)

Comment

Originally posted by RSCoupe
                              Elijah,

Are those 2Bennett strut mounts?
                              Mark, those are "Mance Mounts". I can't find any links right now, but Alex at Europrice coordinated a group buy of them. Mance is a guy on Audiworld that's been making some cool stuff.
                              Kenneth
                              1990 Coupe quattro
                              1991 200q20v x 2
                              1985 4ksq 20vt project
                              1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
                              2006 Honda Ridgeline
                              1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

Originally posted by auditude
                                Mark, those are "Mance Mounts". I can't find any links right now, but Alex at Europrice coordinated a group buy of them. Mance is a guy on Audiworld that's been making some cool stuff.
                                We need him on this forum.
                                I hate AW forums.
                                Mark Siggelkow

'90 CQ 20vT - NASA GTS-5 (R.I.P.)
                                '90 CQ-R - NASA GTS-4/5
                                '00 A4 1.8TQMS (Wife's Daily Driver)
                                '12 TT-RS (Wife's new DD, on order for May European delivery)
                                '62 Porsche 356B (another race car)
                                '03 Kawasaki Z1000 (toy)

Comment

Working...
                                X