Project 91 Coupe to AAN'd 400+HP SSSSSSSSSSomething

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by elijahallens2
    The other problem I was having was boost kept being held back after four or five laps. It would go from 24ish down to max of 10-12psi. Still not sure whats causing this but it seems heat related. Elijah
    I had the same problem with my S2, after 3 or 4 laps i'd lose about half my boost I checked all the hoses (Samco's fitted) and nothing. Give it ten - fifteen minuites and i'd have full boost again Turns out it was a faulty Bailey Diverter valve. 710N fitted, problem solved (for 5 months)

Good luck with the car, its looking great. Nice one

Cheers,

Chris
    Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

• Thanks Chris, I also have a Bailey valve and thats one place I still haven't checked. Its going on 3 years old to so hopefully thats the problem. Now if I can just figure out why my clutch pedal stops just before it goes to the floor (wrong clutch??maybe) .

Elijah
      91 Audi Coupe Quattro- AAN engine transplant

Comment

• Hopefully that'll be the source of the problem. Good luck

Cheers,

Chris
        Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

• Alright, now that I've found this thread and seen ALL the pictures, I'm totally hooked on the ssr complites!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Last edited by Audilard; 6 September 2005, 22:31.
          Darin
          1989 Audi 80tq

Comment

• Finally got a chance to work on the car again and I feel really stupid. The reason I couldn't get it to shift into reverse is that there was an unused bung that I couldn't see that was hitting the shift linkage just before it went in. I trimmed it back and now it shifts perfect through all gears. The first time when I measured the halfshafts I just stood them on end and forgot to see where the cv joint was in proportion to the shaft, we''ll sure enough one was up a little making them appear to be the same length. Switched them around and they fit perfect . Bolted the 4000 rear driveshaft in and it all seems to be great. Just got my new delrin front control arm bushings so once those are in its time for a test drive.

Elijah

Comment

• Went for a drive with the new 6 speed installed, it shifts smooth and I am very happy with the overall feel. I am still struggling with an unstable idle problem though. Once the car warms up the idle starts to surge up to 2K then down and almost stalls, it does this over and over and the hotter it is the worse it is. Any idea's? My guess is another MAF or maybe the lamda sensor. I hope to get this figured out before I rework the intake with the new 928 S4 MAF. I have also decided to have a new header built to give me more room for 4" intake tubing.

Elijah

Comment

• Give your ISV a clean elijah, may cure the idle problem.

Comment

• Sounds like it's running rich, if it's hunting once warmed up.
                  Never show a fool a half built house.
                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
                  The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

• Originally posted by ~Delta
                    Sounds like it's running rich, if it's hunting once warmed up.
                    Yes, its running very rich.

Comment

• Found the unstable idle problem was just another MAF with broken hot wire. Thats number 4. The car is running strong again and is now in for a new header and intake setup. I also got my S8 caliper carriers and VW modified rotors for the rear. Here is a picture of them next to the stock rear on my winter beater coupe. This is using the urs4/6 caliper and S8 carrier. The rotors are 280X25 vented .

Elijah
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by elijahallens2
                        Found the unstable idle problem was just another MAF with broken hot wire. Thats number 4. The car is running strong again and is now in for a new header and intake setup. I also got my S8 caliper carriers and VW modified rotors for the rear. Here is a picture of them next to the stock rear on my winter beater coupe. This is using the urs4/6 caliper and S8 carrier. The rotors are 280X25 vented .

Elijah
                        Do you have any tips on converting A8 disc with ten 5x112 holes to 4x108 ?

Sau
                        200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
                        CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

• I wouldn't convert a 10 hole disc to run 4! There'll be little metal left to mount them securely, imagine one of those shattering hauling the car down from high speeds, doesen't bear thinking about.

Why not convert your car to S2 hubs? A lot safer, and easier to do as well.
                          Never show a fool a half built house.
                          Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
                          The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

• Originally posted by ~Delta
                            I wouldn't convert a 10 hole disc to run 4! There'll be little metal left to mount them securely, imagine one of those shattering hauling the car down from high speeds, doesen't bear thinking about.

Why not convert your car to S2 hubs? A lot safer, and easier to do as well.
                            First economical reasons. If I had enough money I was driving A2 quattro and Evo6 combo (depending on mood) . S2 hubs cost me half of the S2. I don't like spending lots of money for "almost nothing". I'd rather spend them for the solution which will be one I like .

Next - holes of the brake disc are not taking so much abuse as you think. Brake discs are pressed to the hub by the wheel. There's plenty of friction between them. However if wheel is not bolted properly - there's possibility to loose one wheel braking.

Third - I've always used to make (or at least to design ) complicated and ineffective (read - stupid ) things. One of my ideas to increase safety and reliability of drilled from 10x112 to ?x108 disc is to use additional security bolt to the weel hub. Next (sophisticated one) is multilayer wheel spacer - converter from 4x108 to 5x112 . The most simple solution (not mine - because it's too good) - to weld "unnecessary" holes (fill them with metal) on the disk.

So I do not want to migrate to s2 hubs and will try to find the solution how to bolt bigger discs on 4x108. However practice showed, that normal ppl can solve many problems I am struggling in very elegant, cheap and practical way . That's why am asking in this thread .

Anyway thank's for warning

Sau
                            200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
                            CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by kwlw
                              Do you have any tips on converting A8 disc with ten 5x112 holes to 4x108 ?

Sau
                              Sau,
                              Sorry, wish I had some good advise but I just don't know. As long as you have enough metal I don't see a problem with just re drilling the 4x108 pattern. Good luck with it .

Elijah

Comment

• Hi Elijah,

Saw you were online... How's your project coming along ?
                                Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X