No announcement yet.

Project 91 Coupe to AAN'd 400+HP SSSSSSSSSSomething

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its going well. I have been very busy with work so I haven't had a chance to get the final touches of the new header and intake figured out but plan to meet with the welder this weekend and hope to get it close.

Elijah
    91 Audi Coupe Quattro- AAN engine transplant

Comment

• The new header is built, now to fit the rest. Hope these pictures work..

Elijah
      Attached Files

Comment

• more
        Attached Files

Comment

• and more..
          Attached Files

Comment

• Quality work there Elijah !!!
            Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

• Yea, wish I built it, I have a very good welder connection .

Elijah

Comment

• should go like stink. No interference problems with the motor mount like you had before?

Looks like excellent work.

Greg W.
                They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

• Originally posted by 90quattrocoupe
                  should go like stink. No interference problems with the motor mount like you had before?

Looks like excellent work.

Greg W.
                  Hey, good question. Elijah, if not, maybe I can trade you motor mounts since then I'd be able to more easily use my RS Tuning header?
                  Kenneth
                  1990 Coupe quattro
                  1991 200q20v x 2
                  1985 4ksq 20vt project
                  1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
                  2006 Honda Ridgeline
                  1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

• Ken,
                    I thought your header fit without hitting the motor mount?? I have already sold the old header, DP, and fabbed Motor mount. Sorry,

Elijah

Comment

• Originally posted by elijahallens2
                      Ken,
                      I thought your header fit without hitting the motor mount?? I have already sold the old header, DP, and fabbed Motor mount. Sorry,

Elijah
                      Elijah,

Yeah, that was in my 4ksq, which was my main/only-ish project at the time. Now that I have the Coupe quattro and I've been buying parts for that, it's sort of becoming a new project for me. I have a glass sunroof, RS2 front bumper/headlights, some aftermarket side skirts and S2 style rear bumper coming for it, and I've bought some interior items like white gauge faces and aluminum trim rings, perforated leather S2 trim, black RS2 door triggers and stuff like that for it (none of which are installed yet, of course!). I'm about to order an RS2 grill (unless someone has one for sale, please let me know!), and I thought about getting some 5x112mm hubs, but I did the math as to my total cost including big brakes and another set of wheels and tires , and let's just say that I'll just get the grill for now, and maybe a programmable intermittent wiper relay.

Ever since I learned that the stock 4ksq hood would interfere with a tall stroker block and 20v head, I've used it as an excuse/reason to mess with the CQ instead. (the silly part is I'm STILL changing the hood on the CQ, to a B4 style)

For the 20vt'ed CQ "project", I picked up a Sport Quattro exhaust manifold off Ebay (a damned distracting site!) that I was going to use to avoid all the tube header issues, but since I also have the RS Tuning header and the 4ksq *still* waiting to be worked on, I thought I might just have 2 20vt projects, in addition to the 200q20v that I'm trying to get my RS2 stuff on and the 10vt swap into the Coupe GT that I also won't give up on.

I've got a little bit of "project scope creep", I realize, but I don't mind. Little by little I collect ideas and parts, while keeping busy in grad school (number 1 priority!) and working full time. (I refuse to acknowledge my sunk costs thus far, and I would rather use all this stuff than sell at a loss, altho' much of it may actually be appreciating! Well, maybe...)

As far as my projects go, I have to "peel the onion" a bit and do first things first. The summer heat here in Arizona just finally broke (the weather is BEAUTIFUL now, again), so I'm working on finally scrapping the 10vt motor donor and getting it out of my back yard, putting my Coupe GT n/a motor into a 2nd Coupe GT I have so I can sell it to loosen up some extra funds (and get it out of my back yard as well), put the 10vt in the Coupe GT so I can drive it and take the CQ down for whatever I want to do to it, and somewhere among all this get going on porting/polishing my loose 3B head (bought a big garage compressor for this, but haven't set it up yet) and swapping it onto my 200q20v with the RS2 parts gathering dust.

The original 4kstq project is in the mix there somewhere, but it's in last place in priority now. I just bought some wheel casters for it so I can push it around (that's the truest indication of my accepting that it will be a while before it is finished!), but those were just $25 a pair (at Big Lots, can you believe it?), so I had to get them. I'm starting to consider the idea that the 4kstq won't (have to) be a road car, since I have enough of those.

At the house, I also have a friend's stalled (I won't say failed, yet) AAN conversion in a '91 Coupe that was being worked on here by a former roommate that has to go to its new spot to be completed, and a 200q10v that I sold to a friend who doesn't return my calls to pick it up. I need 4 cars out of here, so I can get going on the 4 that I want to keep!

My life would be easier and simplier with just one Audi, but then when it broke how would I get around!

Oh, this is about your engine mount! I just had a thought that if I had a ready-made mount, I would maybe put the tube header in the CQ and use the SQ EM in the other project.

Okay, back to studying Financial Accounting, class 3 of 12 total, woo hoo! I can't be thinking about this stuff right now...
                      Kenneth
                      1990 Coupe quattro
                      1991 200q20v x 2
                      1985 4ksq 20vt project
                      1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
                      2006 Honda Ridgeline
                      1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

• Ken you are a rambling man HAHA.

btw, My header with gt40r is being made by the same fabricator....

Justin

Comment

• what grade of stainless steel is used on the header? ans what wall thickness is it? these are some questions i've had for a while. also wanting to know what is a good diameter pipe to use, as i was thinking af making my own too. thanks. btw that one looks good.

Comment

• The material used in these manifolds is 8 gauge 1.5" schedule 40 stainless. I'm not sure on the grade. Its either 304 or 316 tho.

The inside diameter is 1.61"
                            The outside diameter is 1.90"

Comment

• I went down to Lovefab today to get some better pics of the new header. He had Justins header and GT40R turbo mounted on my car , that turbo is HUGE. He posted some pics in another thread so you can see those there. Here are some pics of my new header off the car. I'm happy with it and hope to have it up and running this week .

Elijah
                              Attached Files

Comment

• more..
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X