Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compared to Gulf Competition 5w-40, is Red Line EuroS 5w-40 a good ester oil?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Hi

Yes, it's a very good oil, but the Euro Series ones are aimed at meeting emissions specs as much as performance protection. If you don't have a car with modern emissions systems, go for the Gulf or Red Line in the red can.

Cheers

Tim
      Use the code S2F and get 10% Club Discount
      oilman's website for BMW engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
      email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
      phone: 01209 202944

Comment

• I'm surprised that search didn't bring anything from this forum about use of Eneos oil (except that it is mentioned here https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...6-oil-pressure)
        So, I'm thinking to switch to ENEOS SUSTINA 0W-50 ( http://www.eneos.us/products/sustina-premium-motor-oil/sustina-0w-50/ Europe:http://www.eneos.eu/passenger-car-oils/ ) on 2.5 stroker for heavy street use.
        Would be appreciated for thoughts and comments

Comment

• Hi oilman, what do u think about Liqui Moly 5w50 molygen? Im use it since engine rebuild. 30k so far (3B engine, remaped ECU)

Comment

• I’ve used Castro 10w60 synthetic for years, but a mate keeps raving about Millers Oils Motorsport CSS 20w-60 Nanodrive Semi Synthetic Engine Oil

I don’t want to put something in and finding it smokes like a trooper.

It’s an unrebuilt 30-year old S2 engine, so whatever goes in is going to have to sensitive to that.

Any thoughts or recommendations for oils in 2023?
            85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
            93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• I would rather not use a semi synthetic oil in our turbo engines. The critical time is when you switch off after a fast drive. The water will keep circulating via the auxiliary pump but the oil just sits there in the turbo bearings. Good fully synthetic is very resistant to carbonation at high temps, semi is not. A build up of carbon will then result in accelerated wear and blocked pipes
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post
                I’ve used Castro 10w60 synthetic for years, but a mate keeps raving about Millers Oils Motorsport CSS 20w-60 Nanodrive Semi Synthetic Engine Oil

I don’t want to put something in and finding it smokes like a trooper.

It’s an unrebuilt 30-year old S2 engine, so whatever goes in is going to have to sensitive to that.

Any thoughts or recommendations for oils in 2023?
                I've used Fuchs Titan Pro-S 10W60 in my 400+ 3B for many years, Haven't seen the need to change yet. But if someone has a better proven option I'm interested to hear about it
                1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
                2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
                2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

• I’ve got lazy, ordered 8-litres of Castrol Edge, 10w60 fully synthetic. Ain’t broke, don’t fix it I suppose.
                  93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• I'm running Quantum 10W40, and I'm doing around 3-4K miles a year and the oil is changed every April & October regardless of mileage. Car does not get run much in winter so not sure if 10W40 is best but it's what I was recommended a few years back. It's also quite cheap and glad it is seeing it's only doing about 2-3K miles in the summer change and about 1K for the winter change.
                    Last edited by B5NUT; 18 June 2023, 22:41.

Comment

• I think Quantum is made by Fuchs. Good oil but it's a semi synthetic. With your frequency of changes and use it will be fine. If you were going for a track day I would swap it for a full synthetic and maybe go thicker.
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I'm not taking it on track days and It does not get ragged about. Sure it see's a bit of speed and a few traffic light grand prix's but that about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                          I'm not taking it on track days and It does not get ragged about. Sure it see's a bit of speed and a few traffic light grand prix's but that about it.
                          Fortunately (for the cars) most owners are older, wiser, less baitable, and respect the car far more now than a decade ago. So totally agree, it is unlikely to be thrashed, the average S2 owner appreciates the car enough not to jeopardise its longevity. Thank goodness. Too many S2’s, S4’s, S6’s and Ur’s were killed off in the early 2000’s as thrashable cheap fodder by so called enthusiastic ‘owners club’ members who now procrastinate about what they had….
                          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                          X